BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB 4H Missed

Poll: ATB (12 member(s) have cast votes)

ATB

1. 100% North (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 75% North (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Equal Blame (2 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. 75% South (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. 100% South (4 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. No Blame (3 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is online   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-April-20, 15:12

missed a good 4H contract earlier on BBO had a bit of a disagreement about it but genuinely not sure and looking for advice.

South thought that he had bid his hand with 1NT and that X would be better than 3D on North's second turn

North thought that 1NT was an underbid and that S should also have made some kind of move over 3D.

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 16:05

Plenty to go aroumd here. The first mistake was North's 1. X is much better. Given the 1 bid South's 1N is very heavy. Given 1D-1N, I can't really fault 3, since S is unlikely to hold [h]. Souths final pass is execrable, a massive undervaluation. If you are going to make the bloated 1N call, you must be willing to bid some game when partner shows signs of life.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 16:09

Why bid 1N rather than 1 ?

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-April-20, 16:27

Not much blame to go around. 1 is clearly correct: double is being a result merchant. The hand isn't good enough to double and bid diamonds, and we do have a good 6 card suit. We intend, if the bidding is low enough, to double at our next turn.

1N is not a weakness bid opposite an overcall, and the stiff diamond, altho an honour, calls for conservatism. If 1 would have been a one round force, then there is some merit to the call, altho in NA at least the call is usually played as 5+ hearts. If it is NF, as is common, then it is dangerous since partner may pass us with a poor hand and, say, Qx in hearts.

Over 3, I suspect that most BBF'ers play double as takeout, but once partner bids 1N, I think double should be more optional than anything else, and the void argues against suggesting we defend at all. 3 seems middle of the road to me...it shows a good long suit and extra values. I don't think double is horrible, but I do think it is a bad idea. As S it wouldn't occur to me to pull, since partner is typically 3=3=6=1, with an opening hand.

S could now try 3 over 3, I suppose, en route to 3N, provided that partner understands that this is natural with extras. It is a bit of any overbid, since on some hands on which 3N makes, partner would have bid it himself....but we do have 2 Aces, and that diamond J is growing up.

I'd be very pleased with our efforts if any regular partner and I reached 4 here.

Of course, this thread will be filled with people for whom reaching 4 is a snap. I'm always amazed at how accurate some players are when they see both hands :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 16:31

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-April-20, 16:09, said:

Why bid 1N rather than 1 ?

1) If 1H is reserved to show 5+, then overcaller requires less in support in order to raise.
2) As advancer has Jxxxx in the oppo suit, it is rather unlikely that overcaller will have enough in that suit to suggest 1N in the event that he lacks Heart support, as 1H by advancer would not suggest a Club holding.
3) Except when opener is so unkind as to leap in with 3C, there is room to investigate a 4-4 Heart fit over 1N if game is in the frame.

My take is that the 3D bid shows a good hand, and having bid 1N first time round, and with the J of Diamonds working hard, South may be just about good enough to bid 3H over 3D.

I certainly don't like an initial double by North over 1C, but a double of 3C may be reasonable. You may end up defending 3CX rather than finding 4H, but that may score about the same and certainly a sight better than 3D.

Some of the blame goes to a good pressure bid of 3C by oppo I think.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-20, 16:34

View Postmikeh, on 2014-April-20, 16:27, said:

Of course, this thread will be filled with people for whom reaching 4 is a snap. I'm always amazed at how accurate some players are when they see both hands :D

I never said I get to 4...given the start of the auction, if you're sticking me with it, 3N is more likely. But I'm 100% never stopping in 3D.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-20, 16:54

Blame IS resulting, the way I view it. Blame (or credit if the result were different) goes to South who did not bid 3H after seeing and participating in the previous part of the auction.

I believe, as Mikeh mentioned, that 3H at that point is correct. And since it would have worked well this time, South gets the blame for not doing it. I would get the blame if I bid 3H and it worked badly.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-April-20, 17:13

I suspect the difference in approach for me would be that we don't overcall the non preemptive 1 over 1 with filth, and respond to it pretty much as if we'd opened it (and overcall on hands strong enough that most people would have to double and bid diamonds), so this is an easy 1 for us.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-20, 18:19

I agree with MikeH as usual. Otoh, believe me or not, I do too play 1 NF and that is what I would bid. I just don't play it % 100 5+

But anyway, what is DBL by N over 3 for others? I am not implying that N should double, nor saying he should not, just curious.

EDIT: Never mind my 2nd line, I now see it has been already mentioned.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-April-20, 18:37

View Posteagles123, on 2014-April-20, 15:12, said:

missed a good 4H contract earlier on BBO had a bit of a disagreement about it but genuinely not sure and looking for advice.

South thought that he had bid his hand with 1NT and that X would be better than 3D on North's second turn

North thought that 1NT was an underbid and that S should also have made some kind of move over 3D.

Thanks,

Eagles

1D by Nth is pretty clear. 1NT by Sth is heavy but not unreasonable.
I would find a X by Nth at my second turn and I suspect Sth would leave this in.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-21, 10:11

like many before me I was very unhappy with the final pass of 3d
and felt a 3h bid was called for. I have no major problems with
1n or 3d but really hated that final pass over 3d. Aces and a great
dia J when p has to have half way decent diamonds for the 3d bid.

3H

leaves us 3 possible places to play game in depending on what
p has. 3n 4h 5d I am not overly crazy about forcing us to play 3n
so I am more than willing to offer up an alternative for p. This
exploration for more carries very little risk and could reap huge
rewards (it does not get much better than that in this game :)))))

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-April-21, 10:24

Without resulting,. I would open South 1, which makes everything else immaterial. Aggressive opening of hands like these pays dividends because of auctions like this. If you open, you have no rebid problems. If you do not open, you have strained sequences later.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-21, 10:41

Seems like south skipping the normal bid of 1 caused some problem. It's hard to see north bidding 3 instead of 3 because of the possible wastage in clubs.

#14 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-21, 10:48

I am surprised that South didn't bid 6 over 3 (oh, wait - wrong thread). Interestingly, it actually has play.

I agree with Mike on everything he said. I could not have said it better myself. Literally, I mean there is no way I could have said it better (or nearly as well, for that matter).I even gave Mike one of my rare upvotes (like he needs my upvote).

#15 User is online   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-April-21, 10:56

thanks everyone for responses all very helpful.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#16 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-21, 11:14

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-April-21, 10:41, said:

Seems like south skipping the normal bid of 1 caused some problem. It's hard to see north bidding 3 instead of 3 because of the possible wastage in clubs.

I don't think anyone suggested 1H by South as "normal". It is a possible agreement, but hardly normal.

I don't think anyone suggesting North bid 3H instead of 3D after the OP start, either. It is South whom we can see bidding 3H over North's 3D.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#17 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-21, 12:02

How come 1 is not normal? What is normal then? A 1/1 advance promising 5 cards??

I can understand a 2/1+ advance requiring 5 cards, but if you extend that to 1/1, you'll skip some 4-4 fits.

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-April-21, 12:24

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-April-21, 12:02, said:

How come 1 is not normal? What is normal then? A 1/1 advance promising 5 cards??

I made an attempt at answering that earlier in the thread. Feel free to disagree with it, as you please, but ignoring it and then re-posing the question is not productive. For me, a 1/1 only promises 4, but I will look for an alternative. And with a hand that is balanced, in range, with the opponent's suit well guarded, I will generally prefer the 1N alternative.

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-April-21, 12:02, said:

I can understand a 2/1+ advance requiring 5 cards, but if you extend that to 1/1, you'll skip some 4-4 fits.

You will also miss some 1N contracts when you don't happen to have a 4-4 fit if you choose to bid 1M and partner lacks the guard in the opponent's suit that you hold but have not shown.
And barring further competitive bidding you should still find your 4-4 fit if partner is strong enough to look for it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-21, 15:01

the 4-4 fit is usually found at the 1 level.

Regardless of that, north should double 3 clubs.

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-April-30, 09:08

Some interesting stuff in this thread. First of all I am with Ken in liking a 1 opening from South. Then I am with Mike and the OP on overcalling 1. I cannot understand why the 1NT advance is being described as heavy - the normal range for a 1NT advance of a one level overcall is 9-12 and as a passed hand it effectively shows a maximum pass. Nonetheless I also find a 1 reponse "normal" here, most likely because I did not find out that many players play this as 5+ for quite a long time after learning the game. I do accept that normal for one is certainly not normal for another, especially in competitive bidding, and while advancing 1 is good here there are plenty of other hands where it will work out badly. Finally, 3 seems reasonable to me over 3. This shows the values of the hand as a weaker hand would have started with 2 and does not risk a potentially disastrous pass.

In short, I can find no fault with North's actions. For dividing the blame between South and the system we probably need to know more about the agreements in play. All of the calls made were reasonable though.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users