Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nice grand & hopeless comment When playing with randoms works out well

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-19, 07:39

Ended up in this grand yesterday with a random but starred partner. Zero agreements so please don't criticize the auction too badly - we had no fancy gadgets available:

A friend was kibbing and said "nice squeeze" before the play even started. My reply "Squeeze for what? There are three suits out there". Turns out there was a squeeze after all :)

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-19, 09:59

Your partner was very unlucky to find
8 or your 18 hcp in the spade suit where your
side holds only 4 spades and the opps 9 (and
the three jacks almost ties a world record).
That means the 7h bid rates to be pretty good
overall even with no special conventions.

Normally one would try to ruff out the club Q
rather than trying for the spade Q to drop but the
lack of a late entry precluded that play and you
ended up seeing the results of a nice show up squeeze.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-19, 11:07

Hmm, didn't consider it to be a show-up the way I think of a show-up..just a double. But I guess it is because the Spade Jack is positioned behind the Queen.

Did Diana accept the final result, or did she rat out the Kibitzer and take an adjustment?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-19, 12:34

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-April-19, 11:07, said:

Hmm, didn't consider it to be a show-up the way I think of a show-up..just a double. But I guess it is because the Spade Jack is positioned behind the Queen.

Did Diana accept the final result, or did she rat out the Kibitzer and take an adjustment?

The comment was sent to me in private chat, and I was dummy :) No damage, result stands.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-19, 13:14

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-19, 12:34, said:

The comment was sent to me in private chat, and I was dummy :) No damage, result stands.

OH....didn't know it was on line.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-April-21, 12:42

Jack of spade must be in favourable position and the double thread in club. Bertrand Romanet call this position " heartache squeeze ".

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-April-21, 14:26

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-April-19, 11:07, said:

Or maybe the lingo is "single, played as a double". Move the Q across the table and it is a - squeeze, leave it where it is and it is a - squeeze. The difference from a double being that in this - squeeze it doesn't matter what E does, and in the - squeeze it doesn't matter what W does.

The kib really needs to keep quiet, even in an informal on-line game. I have seen quite a few on-line hands where declarer, if s/he runs all of the trump, will execute a squeeze but it never crosses declarer's mind to do so. Here it really didn't matter because if declarer does not run the trump she would presumably run the club ten early while she still has an entry to the board. . But it definitely can cause problems, even if sent privately. If the kib is reading this, please wise up.
Ken

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-21, 14:43

View Postkenberg, on 2014-April-21, 14:26, said:

The kib really needs to keep quiet, even in an informal on-line game. I have seen quite a few on-line hands where declarer, if s/he runs all of the trump, will execute a squeeze but it never crosses declarer's mind to do so. Here it really didn't matter because if declarer does not run the trump she would presumably run the club ten early while she still has an entry to the board. . But it definitely can cause problems, even if sent privately. If the kib is reading this, please wise up.

As I said earlier, the kibber was a friend, chatting to me in private, and I was the dummy. There was zero harm in his comment towards me since I was not playing the hand.

The "hopeless comment" was mine, because I could not see the squeeze (any squeeze) till very late in the hand. I wasn't referring to the kib's comment.

#9 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-April-21, 14:51

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-21, 14:43, said:

As I said earlier, the kibber was a friend, chatting to me in private, and I was the dummy. There was zero harm in his comment towards me since I was not playing the hand.

The "hopeless comment" was mine, because I could not see the squeeze (any squeeze) till very late in the hand. I wasn't referring to the kib's comment.

Sorry, I missed that yuou were the dummy. OK, he can comment then.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users