Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Android virus fake positive?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-18, 03:33

All of a sudden when I try today to run BBO from my android mobile App I am warned by Avast mobile antivirus that it is infected with Android.OpFake-FE[Trj]

Avast reports the same for BBC Media Player.

I am pretty sure that these are false positives.

I shall drop a message in the Avast forums but thought you ought to know. It is probably something to do with a recent virus database update because I have had no problems up to now.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-18, 05:28

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-April-18, 03:33, said:

All of a sudden when I try today to run BBO from my android mobile App I am warned by Avast mobile antivirus that it is infected with Android.OpFake-FE[Trj]

Avast reports the same for BBC Media Player.

I am pretty sure that these are false positives.

I shall drop a message in the Avast forums but thought you ought to know. It is probably something to do with a recent virus database update because I have had no problems up to now.

Thanks, someone else signaled the same thing a bit earlier today. Not sure we can do anything on our end to make the warning go away but I forwarded your report and the previous one to Fred.

#3 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-18, 09:11

Thanks for the report.

I installed the Avast app, but I did not get any virus reports either when I scan my entire tablet or when I launch the BBO app.

Maybe you don't have the latest version of Avast?

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-April-18, 11:41

Or maybe it has been fixed already. I shall have another go when back on the other machine.

It was certainly cooking up a storm earlier:

http://forum.avast.c...3455#msg1083455

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-April-18, 17:06

My recommended solution would be to deinstall any sort of antivirus app.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-April-18, 22:40

All seems to be working now.

Interesting recommendation mgoetze. Why is that? I assume that you only refer to mobile os. I can think of 4 possible reasons.

1 os invulnerable

2 os vulnerable but no exploits yet

3 Av products ineffective protection

4 Av products prone to false pos

Any others? Any particular mix behind your advice?

#7 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-18, 23:27

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-April-18, 22:40, said:

Any others? Any particular mix behind your advice?

In general, for many people, av products cause more problems than they solve. They often have spammish like tendancies (free for X months then pay monthly for updates), when they run periodically or on downloads they negatively effect processing speed, there error messages often panic people, etc.

I'm not saying there aren't some people who benefit from them, or some situations where they can be useful, but in general just being safe in your usage of technology (don't download and install random things that you don't know and/or trust) is the main way to go.

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-19, 06:11

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-April-18, 11:41, said:

Or maybe it has been fixed already. I shall have another go when back on the other machine.

It was certainly cooking up a storm earlier:

http://forum.avast.c...3455#msg1083455

Seems it's fixed. The other person who reported same issue emailed back to confirm the warning is gone.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users