• You cannot reply to this topic

Your call

#21 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-04, 06:25

View Postmcphee, on 2014-April-17, 08:49, said:

opening hand is not balanced

Could you explain your logic for this assertion?
(-: Zel :-)

#22 User is offline   GBinUS 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-13, 07:17

View Postmfa1010, on 2014-April-19, 10:07, said:

Disagree with not showing spades on the first round. This could easily have been a normal deal, where we belong in 4.

Bidding 1 on the first round would show 5+ cards. Neg X shows the 4 card suit we have, and bidding when p did not is nuts. I'll be happy with another double here, which shows decent values, no clear cut bid, and if p looks at his hand he can be pretty sure I'm not doing this on a trump stack.

5 could make or go for a number, 4 may be right, and partner is in the best place to decide.

Double has the added advantage that if partner does the wrong thing, you can blame him for not understanding the second double.

#23 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 06:47

It could easily be right to bid here, but pass might also be the winner. This awkward guess is partly self-inflicted. With 5-card support and a void in RHO's suit, it must be quite likely that LHO is about to raise hearts to the 3- or 4-level, so is it really right to double 1H on the first round? I'd prefer to raise diamonds. Whilst none of 3D, 2H, 3H or 4D is ideal, my preference is to make a fit jump of 3C which describes the hand quite well and helps partner to judge over the expected heart raise from LHO.

I know I'll sometimes miss a 4-4 spade fit, but that doesn't have to be a disaster. Diamonds will often make an extra trick and at IMPS 5D= is fine even when 4S was making. Opposite a good hand like Axxx xx AKxxx Ax, the fit jump will make it hard to get to 4S, but we might find 6D.

*** Fit bid 3C is okay. What more is needed for a splinter 3H??
Esp with H-void? 3+ controls? A top Dia?
Is the fit bid the one available because this hand fails for controls/trump top?

#24 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-18, 00:54

Pass now. Certainly disagree with not showing the S first and raising Ds. Partner's failure to x the D bid has clearly put me off bidding further.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users