• This topic is locked

Judaism 101

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-April-17, 04:21

Messianic Judaism is a syncretic religious movement that arose in the 1960s and 70s. From 2003 to 2007, the movement grew from 150 Messianic houses of worship in the United States to as many as 438, with over 100 in Israel and more worldwide; congregations are often affiliated with larger Messianic organizations or alliances. In 2008, the movement was reported to have between 6,000 and 15,000 members in Israel and 250,000 in the United States.

How about Orthodox Judaism?

The Jews are the only religion who claim that their Elohim created the universe and everything in it. Judaism and its two offshoots, Christianity and Islam, dominate world religion. Messianic Judaism and Christianity are busy merging. It is unavoidable that all three religions will soon become one and the same. The revival that will be sweeping across planet earth [visible through the return of miracles again] will expose every other religion as false, before swallowing them all up into Messianic Judaism.

If you are under the age of 50, you will be lucky enough to see it happen. If you are already over the age of 50, you may still be around to see the beginning of this revival, but may not still be alive to see the culmination thereof.

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 05:57

It's not in my nature to try to stop anyone from saying what he believes. I guess I want to say once that this all sounds totally nuts to me, and that assessment applies to anything along these lines. I won't keep mentioning this, life is too short.
Ken

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-17, 06:03

View Post32519, on 2014-April-17, 04:21, said:

Messianic Judaism is a syncretic religious movement that arose in the 1960s and 70s. From 2003 to 2007, the movement grew from 150 Messianic houses of worship in the United States to as many as 438, with over 100 in Israel and more worldwide; congregations are often affiliated with larger Messianic organizations or alliances. In 2008, the movement was reported to have between 6,000 and 15,000 members in Israel and 250,000 in the United States.

How about Orthodox Judaism?

The Jews are the only religion who claim that their Elohim created the universe and everything in it. Judaism and its two offshoots, Christianity and Islam, dominate world religion. Messianic Judaism and Christianity are busy merging. It is unavoidable that all three religions will soon become one and the same. The revival that will be sweeping across planet earth [visible through the return of miracles again] will expose every other religion as false, before swallowing them all up into Messianic Judaism.

If you are under the age of 50, you will be lucky enough to see it happen. If you are already over the age of 50, you may still be around to see the beginning of this revival, but may not still be alive to see the culmination thereof.

I know it is a mistake to respond, but here goes.

You have no clue about Judaism. And the idea that Judaism is going to merge with Christianity and Islam is beyond absurd.

Messianic Judaism is not Judaism. Please try to avoid showing your ignorance.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 06:12

Heheh. The OP quoted from wikipedia, but snipped out quite a bit, such as:

wikipedia said:

Messianic Judaism generally holds that Jesus is both the Jewish Messiah and "God the Son" (one person of the Trinity),[18] though some within the movement do not hold to Trinitarian beliefs.[19] With few exceptions, both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament are believed to be authoritative and divinely inspired scripture. Salvation in most forms of Messianic Judaism is achieved only through acceptance of Jesus as one's savior.[20] It is believed that all sin has been atoned for by Jesus' death and resurrection. Any Jewish laws or customs that are followed are cultural and do not contribute to salvation.[10] Belief in the messiahship and divinity of Jesus, which Messianic Judaism generally shares, is viewed by many Christian denominations[21] and Jewish religious movements[22] as a defining distinction between Christianity and Judaism.[28] Mainstream Christian groups usually accept Messianic Judaism as a form of Christianity.[21]

So apparently, "messianic judaism" is just a deceptive name for christianity.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 06:15

The Jews are the only religion who claim that their Elohim created the universe and everything in it.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-17, 07:17

Gosh I HATE that meme...

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-17, 08:11

The Jews are the only religion who claim that their Elohim created the universe and everything in it.

I have told you before - Elohim is just the Hebrew word meaning "God." It is not the name of God (or a god, as you seem to be using it).

In Judaism, there are a number of blessings recited before doing certain acts, like eating bread, drinking wine, washing the hands, and so forth. These blessings always begin with (and this is the English translation) "Blessed art Thou, O Lord, our God, ...." the phrase "our God" is represented in Hebrew by "Elohanu" (again, this is a transliteration of the Hebrew). This is the plural possessive form of Elohim.

Even Wikipedia does not make the mistake that you are making:

Elohim (אֱלֹהִים) is a grammatically singular or plural noun for "god" or "gods" in both modern and ancient Hebrew language.

Even Orthodox Jews would concede that the God that is worshipped by Christianity (at least, in the form of the Father) and the God that is worshipped by Islam (Allah) is the same God that is worshipped by Jews. We just do it differently. For instance, Jews are not evangelical. In fact, it is difficult to convert to Judaism. Christianity and Islam go out of their way to seek converts (sometimes by force) - Judaism does just the opposite.

THAT is Judaism 101.

(By the way, the idea that Judaism is the only religion that believes that "their" God is the God who created the universe and everything in it is preposterous)

#8 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 10:47

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-17, 07:17, said:

Gosh I HATE that meme...
Sorry :( It was just that it captured precisely what face I made when I read his post.
I thought I was prepared. I was wrong.

#9 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-April-17, 10:59

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-17, 08:11, said:

Even Orthodox Jews would concede that the God that is worshipped by Christianity (at least, in the form of the Father) and the God that is worshipped by Islam (Allah) is the same God that is worshipped by Jews. We just do it differently.

(By the way, the idea that Judaism is the only religion that believes that "their" God is the God who created the universe and everything in it is preposterous)

Come and post a link here to where (the passage) any other religion claims that their God created the universe and everything in it. It's no use posting a link to either Christianity or Islam as both are offshoots of Judaism. You even concede that all three religions worship the same God. I want to know about the others who make this claim.

The Jews were the nation chosen by God to announce redemption to all non-Jews. When they failed to do so, Christianity and Islam took up the torch. The problem here however is that neither have a proper or complete understanding of God as the Jews do. Even worse, the original message of redemption has been distorted by both. The Messianic Jews are the beginnings to seeing every single person across the face of the earth reconciled back to the God of the Jews in the way he planned it all along. You guys were chosen to lead all non-Jews to the true God. The tradegy is that it took you guys 2,000 years to get started.

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-17, 11:12

View Post32519, on 2014-April-17, 10:59, said:

Come and post a link here to where (the passage) any other religion claims that their God created the universe and everything in it.

The first counter example that springs to mind is the Bahá'í Faith
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-17, 11:38

View Post32519, on 2014-April-17, 10:59, said:

Come and post a link here to where (the passage) any other religion claims that their God created the universe and everything in it. It's no use posting a link to either Christianity or Islam as both are offshoots of Judaism. You even concede that all three religions worship the same God. I want to know about the others who make this claim.

The Jews were the nation chosen by God to announce redemption to all non-Jews. When they failed to do so, Christianity and Islam took up the torch. The problem here however is that neither have a proper or complete understanding of God as the Jews do. Even worse, the original message of redemption has been distorted by both. The Messianic Jews are the beginnings to seeing every single person across the face of the earth reconciled back to the God of the Jews in the way he planned it all along. You guys were chosen to lead all non-Jews to the true God. The tradegy is that it took you guys 2,000 years to get started.

Sorry. My bad. I will get right on it.

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-17, 11:45

Looks like the RigVeda provides another good counter example

If in the beginning there was neither Being nor Non-Being, neither air nor sky, what was there? Who or what oversaw it? What was it when there was no darkness, light, life, or death? We can only say that there was the One, that which breathed of itself deep in the void, that which was heat and became desire and the germ of spirit

Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-April-17, 11:49

View Posthrothgar, on 2014-April-17, 11:12, said:

The first counter example that springs to mind is the Bahá'í Faith

Zoroastrians ? depends on the degree of nothing you need to start with

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-17, 12:00

If we turn to ancient Egypt, I think that both Amun and Ptah would qualify as well.
Same with Aten, however, its hard to take this one seriously...
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-April-17, 12:06

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-17, 11:38, said:

Sorry. My bad. I will get right on it.

Yes, after wasting 2,000 years already, time is running out.

I am rarely at a loss for words but in the case of this thread I have no useful thoughts to contribute.
Ken

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-April-17, 12:08

I had really hoped that there would be no replies to this thread.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#17 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 12:15

View PostVampyr, on 2014-April-17, 12:08, said:

I confess I was sucked in against my better judgment. :(

Will you absolve me? ;)
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#18 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-April-17, 12:23

This would probably have been best, I will take this advice seriously as we move on. Surely "pointless" is an understatement. Words fail me.
Ken

#19 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-17, 12:46

True. But the devil made me do it. :)

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-April-17, 13:05

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-17, 12:46, said:

True. But the devil made me do it. :)

Oh, not our reptilian overlords or the flying spaghetti monster ?

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users