• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Following suit? England UK

#41 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-24, 01:50

View Postbluejak, on 2014-April-23, 08:17, said:

I am happy with penalising by giving a warning first time, and a PP if there is a recurrence within six months, not just the same session.

I still think there is a difference between minor infractions that cause trouble per se and those where trouble is only caused by opponents who do something wrong themselves. Picking up the bidding cards is likely to cause difficulties when the player is not last to bid and I would penalise for it regularly. I would always penalise if partner has yet to call. It also annoys some opponents - me, for example. But calling for cards in a shortened form causes no such difficulty so long as opponents look at the card, and I have never known anyone who seems annoyed by it.

I find this practice annoying, when I am dummy and my hand is on lead. I am sometimes dozing, trying to use up as little mental energy as possible, so if partner calls for "ten" when dummy is on lead I have to work out which ten he means.

Of course, when dummy is following suit, it's totally normal to call for just the rank, and I can't see why this would even merit a warning. Indeed in practice, there is sometimes an advantage in not naming every single card: with tables at some clubs and tournaments being quite close together, the less information that can be heard from neighbouring tables, the better.

#42 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-24, 06:29

View Postjallerton, on 2014-April-24, 01:50, said:

I find this practice annoying, when I am dummy and my hand is on lead. I am sometimes dozing, trying to use up as little mental energy as possible, so if partner calls for "ten" when dummy is on lead I have to work out which ten he means.

Yes, when I declare, disturbing Terry's nap should be ZT.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#43 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-24, 08:18

I guess it makes sense that people would be tolerant of this when it's a unique honor. When viewing a hand, players take most notice of honors, and they also look distinctive, so it's not hard to find the only ace or queen in dummy. Spot cards tend to blend together, so finding "the 5" would be harder. And declarer noticing that a 5 is the only one on the board is also less likely.

#44 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2014-April-24, 08:21

I suppose it is true the practice can annoy dummy. But next hand should be able to work out which ten with very little effort since the card is on the table in front of him. :rolleyes:
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#45 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-24, 10:25

One of my partners does this a lot. I think he sees it as a fairly light-hearted way of keeping me on my toes....

#46 User is offline   richlp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-25, 13:33

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-April-24, 10:25, said:

One of my partners does this a lot. I think he sees it as a fairly light-hearted way of keeping me on my toes....

I do it once every two or three sessions. I see it as a fairly light-hearted way of enjoying the game. I can't
remember ever doing it for something other than an Ace or King but my memory could be flawed.

I don't play above the club level any more but I think I would do it in a more serious event as well (I like to
have fun regardless of the level of event - especially when I'm playing up and getting killed). If it caused
any problems for my opponents (even careless ones as was the case here) I would apologize and waive any penalty.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users