BBO Discussion Forums: 1NT overcall with or without a Stopper - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1NT overcall with or without a Stopper

#21 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-17, 14:56

I am thinking that the odds of having 15-17 HCP Plus a stopper after RHO has opened are so small that the 1NT overcall becomes almost an idle bid for partners that have that agreement...maybe they use it every third night , if that.

I think doubling with those 4-3-3-3 and 4-4-3-2 hands aren't so great, when you want/should get into the auction. The 1NT overcall then makes the take out doubles more 'pure' for your partner.

I would wish my opponents would let me play 1NT non-vulnerable, all day long. That's a top 80% of the time.....

ken's scheme, or something like that, might help you find the right fit....

I think judicious use of the broad range NT, even w/o a stopper, may pay off.....Devils in the details.....tbd

#22 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-17, 16:10

View PostShugart23, on 2014-April-17, 14:56, said:

I think doubling with those 4-3-3-3 and 4-4-3-2 hands aren't so great, when you want/should get into the auction. The 1NT overcall then makes the take out doubles more 'pure' for your partner.

I think judicious use of the broad range NT, even w/o a stopper, may pay off.....Devils in the details.....tbd

Well, if you don't wish to heed the advice of posters who suggest balanced hands in the 11-14 range are best handled with a green card, and that broad range NT overcalls put pressure on one too many people at the table, then perhaps you should pursue the thoughts you had before opening this thread.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#23 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 16:26

Yes, thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts....This is a great place to learn and bounce ideas around ..we will be trying tighter ranges...most likely something like 13-16 non-vul and 14-17 vul and see how things pan out

#24 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-17, 16:36

Or if you think the strong nt overcall is too infrequent, play raptor
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#25 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-April-17, 18:50

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-April-17, 16:36, said:

Or if you think the strong nt overcall is too infrequent, play raptor

Or R.U.N.T.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#26 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2014-April-19, 00:27

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-April-17, 03:41, said:

What you misread is the post you quoted and the post it was responding to. You are applying the section of the GCC about natural NT openings or overcalls to their discussion of a "Kaplan" type inverted overcall where neither 1S/1H nor 1NT/1H is natural.

Right, my fumble. I misread the post as using methods analogous to Kaplan Inversion after a 1NT overcall. Consequence of posting while asleep . . .
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users