BBO Discussion Forums: Playing with a partner against robots - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Playing with a partner against robots Playing with a partner against robots

#1 User is offline   dandey 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-10, 16:42

Hello,
My friend and I want to play as partners in a bridge game, but are novices and would prefer to play robots together, i.e., two of us against two robots. Is this possible with BBO? Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Tom

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-10, 16:53

You can do that if you purchase them, or also for free on the first day of each month

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-10, 17:01

Certainly it is possible. But except on the first day of the calendar month, when (basic) robots are available for free as a promotion, it will require some (small) financial outlay. You get a choice: $1 per day for "advanced" robots or $1 per week for "basic" robots. Advanced robots play with greater skill than basic robots, and make fewer truly bizarre actions. But at 7 times the price, for a novice pair I would suggest the basic version, at least for a time. You can experiment a bit, because there is no long term commitment.

Only one member of the partnership needs to rent the robot. That member hosts the table and can sit as many robots at that table as you please, presumably in your case just in the opposing seats.

There are a few things that will become apparent to you over time, but principal among them is the fact that the robots play a bidding system which although basically natural is a bit more sophisticated than would be familiar to a rank beginner. At least you can see the meanings of all their bids (bugs aside) by hovering your mouse over them.

Using the web based Windows Flash interface, click on "Robot World", then "Robot Rental", to rent robots for the week or day, as applicable. Then host a table, and you will get a choice to sit robots at empty seats. Make sure that you check the box "permission required to play", or someone may jump in too soon. Or make the table hidden. More than one way to skin the cat.

And don't assume that the robots are perfect.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-10, 18:38

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-April-10, 17:01, said:

.. the robots play a bidding system which although basically natural is a bit more sophisticated than would be familiar to a rank beginner. At least you can see the meanings of all their bids (bugs aside) by hovering your mouse over them.

This also means that the robots assume you are playing their system, and they cannot be told otherwise. If, for example, you and your partner do not play transfers over a 1NT opening, the robots will still assume you do, and competitive auctions can get a little strange.

#5 User is offline   dandey 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-11, 00:59

Thanks for the help, it more than clarified the questions I asked. My friend and I will need to experiment with the settings clearly. It is good to know it is possible. I hope to meet you sometime online in a game! Best, Tom

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-11, 02:34

The other thing to note is that if you just want to practice bidding, not play, you can do that in partnership bidding and you can have robots for free bidding the opponents hands. You can also control what cards people get (for instance, make it so your partner and you always have at least 24 hcp between you). That can be very good practice too.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users