BBO Discussion Forums: Comedy Central no longer fair & balanced? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Comedy Central no longer fair & balanced? Stephen Colbert moving to CBS

#1 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2014-April-10, 16:24

For years Stephen Colbert provided the conservative counter-balance to Jon Stewart's liberal views each Monday through Thursday night on Comedy Central. When Colbert moves to Late Night on CBS, it will be hard for Comedy Central to find a suitable conservative replacement. Any ideas?
:(
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-10, 17:21

I thought that Colbert's faux-conservative persona was absolutely hysterical.
With this said and done, I hope that Comedy Central looks to find the best show for that time slot rather than trying to clone the Colbert Report.

I've always loved Colbert's work, dating back to Exit 57, Strangers with Candy, and Harvey Birdman.
Its great to see how far he's gone.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-11, 09:38

Maybe they'll move @Midnight down a half hour, but keep the name just to be ironic.

I can't believe how much I enjoy that silly, fake game show.

#4 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2014-April-11, 11:35

What's to become of "Nation"?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-11, 12:28

View PostPassedOut, on 2014-April-10, 16:24, said:

For years Stephen Colbert provided the conservative counter-balance to Jon Stewart's liberal views each Monday through Thursday night on Comedy Central. When Colbert moves to Late Night on CBS, it will be hard for Comedy Central to find a suitable conservative replacement. Any ideas?
:(

If you think that Stephen Colbert provided a conservative counter-balance to Jon Stewart, you don't understand what he was saying.

I hope you were joking.

For example, last night, after talking about David Letterman's retirement, he started discussing Bill O'Reilly. This is not a direct quote, but Colbert said that he and O'Reilly share something in common. Colbert admires and respects Bill O'Reilly, and so does Bill O'Reilly.

If you can't get the comedy in a statement like that, then you have been missing the point for some time.

One of the great running bits that Colbert does is The Word. In The Word, Colbert goes on some outrageous anti-leftist rant on some topic or another, while commentary appears every 15-20 seconds on the right side of the screen lampooning Colbert's rant. It is Colbert at his best - at once appearing superficially like a far right-wing ideologue, while simultaneously blowing up everything he is saying with biting satire in the commentary.

The sad thing is that if Colbert were to play his character straight, he could be one of the talking heads on Fox News. They don't realize how unintentionally funny they really are.

#6 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-11, 19:13

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-11, 12:28, said:

The sad thing is that if Colbert were to play his character straight, he could be one of the talking heads on Fox News. They don't realize how unintentionally funny they really are.

Good idea, but I doubt that Comedy Central could match the pay that Hannity or O'Reilly get on Fox. Still, Stewart and O'Reilly seem to be good friends, so perhaps that might be a factor.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-12, 11:28

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-11, 12:28, said:

If you think that Stephen Colbert provided a conservative counter-balance to Jon Stewart, you don't understand what he was saying.

I hope you were joking.

How many posts by PassedOut have your read? I am truly impressed.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-15, 09:16

Now that Jon Stewart has announced the impending end to his hosting of The Daily Show, it will be interesting to see who, if anyone, can step into the role he has played. By the way, I see that ArtK78 is not alone: Waiting for the Conservative Jon Stewart

In fact, a study out of Ohio State University found that a surprising number of conservatives who were shown Colbert clips were oblivious to the fact that he was joking.

:P

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-February-15, 17:46

I posted in another forum that I'd like to see Samantha Bee give it a try. But she seems to have cut back on her role on the show since becoming a mother, so I don't know if she'd want to take on the anchor chair.

They could hire Brian Williams now that he's no longer tied down at NBC News. Apparently he's been giving fake news for years, we just recently got wind of it.

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-February-16, 01:28

View PostPassedOut, on 2015-February-15, 09:16, said:

Now that Jon Stewart has announced the impending end to his hosting of The Daily Show, it will be interesting to see who, if anyone, can step into the role he has played. By the way, I see that ArtK78 is not alone: Waiting for the Conservative Jon Stewart

:P

expect to see many many more examples over the next 2 years.

Conservatives are stupid and not well read
Liberals are smart and well read.

#11 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 08:39

View Postmike777, on 2015-February-16, 01:28, said:

Conservatives are stupid and not well read

As a conservative myself, I'm obliged to disagree with you on that.

#12 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-February-16, 08:54

View PostPassedOut, on 2015-February-16, 08:39, said:

As a conservative myself, I'm obliged to disagree with you on that.

over the next 2 years look forward to your examples when it comes to Liberal and conservatives, look forward to others here on the forums.

#13 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 09:19

View Postmike777, on 2015-February-16, 08:54, said:

over the next 2 years look forward to your examples when it comes to Liberal and conservatives, look forward to others here on the forums.

I always look forward to comprehensible sentences.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 11:10

Poe's law in action?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 11:41

View Postbillw55, on 2015-February-16, 11:10, said:

Poe's law in action?

Excellent example.

#16 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-16, 13:18

View Postbarmar, on 2015-February-15, 17:46, said:

I posted in another forum that I'd like to see Samantha Bee give it a try. But she seems to have cut back on her role on the show since becoming a mother, so I don't know if she'd want to take on the anchor chair.

They could hire Brian Williams now that he's no longer tied down at NBC News. Apparently he's been giving fake news for years, we just recently got wind of it.

I'd like to see Bassem Youssef take it on.

#17 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-03, 11:29

I see that I'm not alone: The suspense is killing us! Will Bassem Youssef replace Jon Stewart on The Daily Show?

The former TV host of the popular political satire show "El Bernameg" Bassem Youssef has squashed his fans' hopes that he will replace Jon Stewart of the Daily Show, on which Youssef's show was based.

In an online forum last Sunday in Reddit’s AMA (Ask Me Anything) in New York city, Youssef made it crystal clear saying that hosting the Daily Show is a far-fetched fantasy, because he does not think Americans are ready to hear their political satire-news from a Middle-Easterner with a "thick accent".

"However, I will dwell on that dream until they finally choose a replacement, and when that happens, I will pretend my dreams are crushed. Still, I have a very little hope that maybe Comedy Central will go somewhat exotic like me," he said.

Would be great.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-March-03, 12:37

And my wish for Samantha Bee has been dashed, she's working on a sitcom.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users