BBO Discussion Forums: Would you bid game? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would you bid game?

Poll: Would you bid game? (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you have bid?

1. 5D (1 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. 4D (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Pass (2 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Something else (5 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jmagicd2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-08, 13:58

I'm in a youth bridge tournament and I pick up this hand. West could not answer for the 1NT opening range and partner and I did not play balancing. What would you bid?
Here is the full deal and what actually happened.

Notice that with only four diamonds, partners call was made in error but east's two aces were the only tricks for the defense so partner made five diamonds doubled for a top board. What are your thoughts on the hand?

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-08, 14:16

I wouldn't do anything until I found out what range 1NT was, calling director if necessary. If someone put a gun to my head, I would simply bid 3D, but the actual layout shouldn't be possible unless there is something about the 2D bid you haven't told us (like it shows diamonds and a major).
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 14:31

It sounds like you are playing bridge and having fun. This is great news! Keep at it and enjoy yourself, that is what really matters.

As for the bidding of this hand, it is hard to judge without knowing what the two partnerships have agreed to (if anything). Playing common systems, I think that all four players made errors. But I could say the same for a few auctions I have been in, even after all these years. Bottom line, don't worry too much, just have a good time.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   jmagicd2 

• Pip

Posted 2014-April-09, 15:28

View Postmanudude03, on 2014-April-08, 14:16, said:

I wouldn't do anything until I found out what range 1NT was, calling director if necessary. If someone put a gun to my head, I would simply bid 3D, but the actual layout shouldn't be possible unless there is something about the 2D bid you haven't told us (like it shows diamonds and a major).

Partner should have made his 2D call on a five card diamond suit. With strong five card support I treated the situation like a direct game raise of partners major. The opponents did not have a convention card, so I may have taken some liberties since they were not very good bridge players. As for us, we were using natural bidding with Stayman and Jacoby Transfers.

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-09, 16:19

yes it would be normal to make an invitational raise with your hand. 5d only makes because your partner has a far stronger hand than you should have expected.

by the way, overcalling at the 2 level in a minor is normally 6 cards. bad players often overcall 2 of a minor with a 5 card suit, balanced hand and a lot of points. good players with such a hand normally double a suit for takeout, overcall 1NT (15-18 with a stop in opps' suit), double if opps opened 1NT a;ready, or pass depending on the exact shape and point count.

with your partner's hand, he should double 1nt for penalties (passing would also be ok if the opps are playing 15-17 nt as most people do).

#6 User is offline   jmagicd2 

• Pip

Posted 2014-April-11, 13:32

View Postwank, on 2014-April-09, 16:19, said:

yes it would be normal to make an invitational raise with your hand. 5d only makes because your partner has a far stronger hand than you should have expected.

by the way, overcalling at the 2 level in a minor is normally 6 cards. bad players often overcall 2 of a minor with a 5 card suit, balanced hand and a lot of points. good players with such a hand normally double a suit for takeout, overcall 1NT (15-18 with a stop in opps' suit), double if opps opened 1NT a;ready, or pass depending on the exact shape and point count.

with your partner's hand, he should double 1nt for penalties (passing would also be ok if the opps are playing 15-17 nt as most people do).

Thanks for that info. I normally play five card suits for overcalls. But if partner had six diamonds then the law of total tricks would support a five diamonds bid. My partner bids conservatively so I thought he had a strong hand to enter the auction at the two level.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users