BBO Discussion Forums: Misboarding in multiple teams event - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misboarding in multiple teams event EBU

#21 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-April-11, 06:20

View Postgordontd, on 2014-April-11, 01:33, said:

Then I think we still do not totally understand each other, because one of those features (playing the same opponents in the same round) is not a feature of most multiple-teams movements, only a very specific one known here as a Flower movement.

Yes, I know this is all off-topic, but it's interesting to some of us and the original question has been answered.

Continuing off topic ...

The EBU movements manual also has "Patton Schedule" movements, which also have both halves of a match played in the same round. I don't think these are the same as Flower movements, because Flower movements have the same boards in play at all tables.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#22 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-11, 06:47

View PostRMB1, on 2014-April-11, 06:20, said:

Continuing off topic ...

The EBU movements manual also has "Patton Schedule" movements, which also have both halves of a match played in the same round. I don't think these are the same as Flower movements, because Flower movements have the same boards in play at all tables.

Yes, I thought of Patton Schedules after I posted, having recommended them recently for pivot teams with a small number of contenstants. On the same theme, there are also mirrored sections as used for pivot teams in Brighton.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#23 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-11, 06:48

View PostVampyr, on 2014-April-11, 06:09, said:

Oh, that's so pretty! Can we use it sometime?

Sure: all you have to do is win your county teams of four championship and qualify to play in the Pachabo where it is used.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-11, 10:00

View Postgordontd, on 2014-April-11, 01:33, said:

I'm still not clear why this bothers you: one board out of twenty-four has the same weight whether it is part of a two-board match or a twelve-board match. Presumably you don't victory point two-board matches or use them as knockouts

I think the issue here is that unless the error is discovered very quickly after it occurs, it will cause the result of this board to be thrown out in a number of matches. It's just 1 board out of 24 in each match, but when you multiply that by the number of matches affected it can really skew the final results.

Would it be legal for the TD to give each of the affected teams a substitute board to play, if there's time? You might even be able to give them all the same board: if the error is discovered while there's still time in the session, the TDs and caddies could duplicate a board enough times for all of them.

#25 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-11, 10:21

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-11, 10:00, said:

Would it be legal for the TD to give each of the affected teams a substitute board to play, if there's time? You might even be able to give them all the same board: if the error is discovered while there's still time in the session, the TDs and caddies could duplicate a board enough times for all of them.

From what I've seen the EBU advice is to play a substitute board if there is time AND that the players have not already scored all the other boards in the event. So if it was a movement with half-time scoring, then an additional board could be played at the end of the event before the teams score up the second half.

Caddies are pretty rare in this part of the world. In Scotland TDs can be hard to find too.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#26 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-13, 12:30

View Postpaulg, on 2014-April-11, 10:21, said:

From what I've seen the EBU advice is to play a substitute board if there is time AND that the players have not already scored all the other boards in the event. So if it was a movement with half-time scoring, then an additional board could be played at the end of the event before the teams score up the second half.

Caddies are pretty rare in this part of the world. In Scotland TDs can be hard to find too.

You can still borrow some of ours Paul :D:)

#27 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-13, 12:44

View PostOof Arted, on 2014-April-13, 12:30, said:

You can still borrow some of ours Paul :D:)

Are you cheap?
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#28 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-13, 16:01

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-11, 10:00, said:

I think the issue here is that unless the error is discovered very quickly after it occurs, it will cause the result of this board to be thrown out in a number of matches. It's just 1 board out of 24 in each match, but when you multiply that by the number of matches affected it can really skew the final results.

This seems to be based on the idea that it's the number of matches, not the the number of boards, that's important. Two-board matches don't have the same value as 24-board matches.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users