Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib lost game

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-08, 03:30

Now that 4 was alerted as twice rebiddable ,19 totaol ponts,Gib W should raise to 5 with 7 hcp. pass is illogical.

This post has been edited by lycier: 2014-April-08, 12:22

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 08:49

I'm OK with passing, I don't think 5 is a good call, partner can have stiff or small doubleton club, easily could lose 2 trumps and a spade or heart. 5 can have similar issues, partner won't always have CAxx and the clubs may not be worth anything.

The call to complain about IMO is 4, I think bidding 3nt is far better. All one needs is pard DJ, good diamond break or DJ falling, or partner with a 2nd spade stopper. Trying for 5 a lot more needs to go right.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 10:47

But 4 should be more likely to get you to slam when it's right.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-08, 14:36

The book bid for this hand is 4. Since Lycier plays with basic bots, that's what he gets.

Advanced bots use simulations, and the bids it considers are Pass, 3, and 4. It usually chooses 3, because either this gets the same result as 4, or partner has a decent hand with spade stopper and bids 3NT. All the auctions that reached a successful 6 began with 3, because there was room for West to show strength in the side suits. West rarely bids over 4, because it's dangerous to keep bidding without a fit. (This is probably why many advanced players use Leaping Michaels -- using so much bidding space is not productive less well-defined hands.)

The rule for bidding 3NT doesn't allow 6 cards in any suit, but we perhaps could add a rule that allows a good 6-card minor like this. Although bidding 3NT is somewhat unilateral -- if 6 is possible, you'll never find it that way, since the bid would also be made with a strong, balanced hand.

BTW, in direct seat the robot doubles with this hand. It only bids diamonds when balancing.

#5 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 16:22

IMO most strong balanced hands should double, unless with say doubleton other major. I bid 3nt over 2M way more often with 6+ suit than with strong balanced.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users