Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib's true lies

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-08, 02:57

Look,the meanings of 6 is 3+,15 total points.
Who believe? this is a true lies.Posted Image

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-08, 12:54

This is a fundamental problem with the way GIB is able to describe the meaning of a bid. There are actually 12 different bidding rules that tell it to raise 5 to 6 in this sequence. Some of them are based on total points, and the minimum required is 15. But there are others that look for other features of the hand that make up for this.

But it's not possible for GIB to explain that a bid shows A or B or C or D. When there are multiple rules with different explanations, it combines them into the least common denominator of each feature. This often results in very confusing explanations. For instance, the explanation of 2-4 used to be something like "2+ H, 6+ HCP" because there were two rules: a very strong hand with 2-card support that bids 4{HE] to make, and a weak hand with 4-card support that was continuing the preempt.

We fixed the explanation of that sequence by hard-coding a new description. But this solution is only feasible for common sequences like that. For complicated sequences like the one in your auction, we just leave out the explanations from the rules that we think are less common to apply, to avoid confusing mergers. So the description you get is what you can normally expect, but you have to understand that there are sometimes exceptions where it will make the bid without the perfect hand. We're just not able to describe all the possibilities in the simple explanations that are given.

It's like how my mother explains the way my father used to bid when he was alive (I didn't play bridge in those days): "he bids what he thinks he can make".

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 13:07

Can you tell us what combination of requirements North meets in this case to raise 5 to 6, when he as a 10 count opposite a 1NT opener?

15+ total points certainly isn't a least common denominator for any combination that North meets. (If Condition A is 3+C w/15+points and Condition B is 5+C w/10+points, the least common denominator should show as 3+C; 10+ points.)

Also, the "3+C" originated in the explanation of 3, which I don't understand. If it shows 3+C, doesn't it also show 3+D? I expect that South's pass denies a 4-card major, guaranteeing a 4-card minor which North is hoping to find.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-08, 13:34

South's first pass shows clubs, showing willingness to defend 2 redoubled. Here's the full explanation:

No suitable call -- 5- C; 2-5 D; 2-5 H; 2-5 S; 15-17 HCP; rebiddable C; 18- total points

So north's 3 cue bid specifically showed club support.

The rule that was used to raise to 6 in this case requires either singleton, void, or at least KJ in the opponent's suit.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-April-08, 21:46

I don't really care about the explanation, nor do I care if it applies 2 rules or 200. The fact that even 1 of those rules suggests an expectation of making 12 opposite a bal 17 HCP hand, even with 5 Clubs, is gross.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   ShirleyMqz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-12, 08:15

GIB has overvalued the stiff K of spades, which is likely to have no more value than a small spade would. If GIB held K in a red suit and a small spade I wouldn't mind the bid quite so much. On the actual hand there would still be no play for slam, but part of the blame for that lies with South, who has opened 1NT a point light and then jumped to 5C which may suggest a maximum.

A question is whether GIB's sequence of X followed by the cue bid is game forcing. If it's not, 5C should show a maximum since 4C could be passed. If it IS game forcing, 5C should be principle of fast arrival showing a minimum 1NT opening. GIB's raise is an overbid either way given the dubious value of the spade K.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-April-12, 10:03

5C shows 17 HCP per explanation provided by GIB. Armed with that information, sitting North I would assess that there might be an outside chance of making 5C.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-14, 09:51

The south hand has 14 HCP, 3 short of what was promised, Give South the king of hearts, probably the most useful card possible, and slam still requires a 3-3 heart break, so yeah, it should really be simming rather than going by rules when possible final contracts have been bid.
Wayne Somerville

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users