Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gib's 5C made me confused

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-08, 02:46

After my 4,Gib N rebid 5,it was alerted as 3+,10-12 total points.Gib's suit is small tripleton,only.
Maybe only god knows what Gib's 5 wants !Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-April-08, 06:27

You showed clubs by passing the double of 2, so it supported.
Become yourself.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2014-April-08, 07:05

Btw,please note that my bid 4 is no explanation.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-08, 07:18

GIB probably thinks your first pass denies a four-card major, in addition to showing "biddable" clubs.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-08, 13:16

The pass should have been explained as:

No suitable call -- 5- C; 2-5 D; 2-5 H; 2-5 S; 15-17 HCP; rebiddable C; 18- total points

4 should have been explained as:

Cue bid -- 5- C; 2-5 D; 2-5 H; 2-5 S; 17 HCP; rebiddable C; 7- 8421 HCP in D; 8+ 8421 HCP in H; 18 total points

We're not sure yet why you're losing so many explanations, we're still trying to figure out what's going on. This is obviously a general problem you're running into, I don't think there's any point in you posting every time it happens.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-April-08, 16:24

This may be more of a bridge question than a GIB system question, but I don't understand calling 4 a cue bid if it might be a suit and it might not. Wouldn't 2M be considered a "suitable call" if South had a four-card major, or is there a trade-off between having a four-card major and thinking you might get to defend 2x?

This is probably dead-horse-beating, but it would also be nice if passes got explanations like other calls do, so we can see some of these things.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-April-08, 21:58

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-08, 13:16, said:

We're not sure yet why you're losing so many explanations, we're still trying to figure out what's going on. This is obviously a general problem you're running into, I don't think there's any point in you posting every time it happens.

It is not just Lycier, and it is not new.
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__786216

Bear in mind that it has taken repeated postings to prompt an investigation.
Also I would have expected you to welcome more data to investigate, if you can trace back to how the servers were behaving each time.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2014-April-09, 01:29

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-April-08, 21:58, said:

It is not just Lycier, and it is not new.
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__786216

Bear in mind that it has taken repeated postings to prompt an investigation.
Also I would have expected you to welcome more data to investigate, if you can trace back to how the servers were behaving each time.

Same do I.thank you.A few days ago a chinese player told me that whenever the bbo client is updated to new version, he will be slower to log into bbo than usual.I'm not sure whether these feedback welcome,so I am very hesitant.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-April-09, 09:53

Bidding explanations are generated differently depending on whether it's the human's bid or a robot bid. When the robot bids, the BBO server automatically includes the explanation along with the bid. But when the human hovers over a bid in the bidding box, or makes a bid, a separate request has to be made to a web server. If it takes too long for the server to respond to this request, the client times out and leaves out the explanation.

Since lycier frequently has a poor connection to our servers, we think that this is what's happening.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-April-09, 10:50

OK, there isn't really a built-in timeout, the timeout is whenever you make your bid. Here's the details:

When the bidding box pops up, the client sends a request to the server for the meanings of all available bids. Once the response is received, the client can display the meanings in the popups when you hover over a bid. And when you make the bid, the client sends the explanation to the server along with it, and it saves the explanation in the hand record.

Most of the time, the response arrives while you're thinking about your bid. But if your connection is really slow and you bid quickly, you can make your bid before the response has been received, and then there's no explanation available. So the workaround in this case is that you should not make a bid until you see one of the explanations pop up.

#11 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-09, 21:46

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-09, 10:50, said:

when you make the bid, the client sends the explanation to the server along with it, and it saves the explanation in the hand record.
Does it make sense to look up bid explanations locally on the server if the client response arrives without them? That was players with slow connections can at least later review the hand and figure out what was going on.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-April-10, 07:41

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-09, 21:46, said:

Does it make sense to look up bid explanations locally on the server if the client response arrives without them? That was players with slow connections can at least later review the hand and figure out what was going on.

If this were a more widespread problem we would consider something like this. Currently, it seems to be very limited, and there's a workaround.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users