BBO Discussion Forums: Bidding after full shape relay - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding after full shape relay

#1 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2014-April-07, 12:56

What would be a good way to continue after you know partners full shape in relay bidding. I am asking the because i have almost 0 experience in full shape relays save for a full shape relay for balanced hands over a strong club. Are there any recommendations?

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-April-07, 13:02

View Postphoenix214, on 2014-April-07, 12:56, said:

What would be a good way to continue after you know partners full shape in relay bidding. I am asking the because i have almost 0 experience in full shape relays save for a full shape relay for balanced hands over a strong club. Are there any recommendations?

There have been a few discussions about this topic on this forum which reveal that there is non consensus in this group

I am partial to the following

Relay Asker's3N is always natural (RR breaks if he has 3+ extra slam points)
Relay Asker's 4 is a puppet to 4 (RR breaks if he 3+ extra points)

otherwise

Step = Slam point ask (Denial Cue Biddding FollowsI
Step +1 = RKCB in RR's longest suit (CAB's follow)
Step +2 = RKCB in RR's second longest suit
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2014-April-07, 13:14

Well that sounds quite familiar, i was thinking almost along the same lines(save the slam point question). The alternative i have seen is the one in viking precision, but i suppose that it might be out-dated by a few years.

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-April-07, 13:27

The "relay" part of this is not material to the theory, IMO. The theory as to how to proceed should probably be a function of (1) what level of force is in effect, (2) what current level are we at, and (3) what parameters of strength/strain are established.

For instance, a couple of auction types I have:

1. I open 2 as any 4-4-4-1 hand, intermediate. Partner asks, and I show a maximum (14-15 side) with a stiff club (I bid 2NT). At this point, partner can transfer to hearts, for example, by bidding 3. This sets trumps. My next calls, if not a pass, are slam moves. What to do next is a function of known a specific pattern and a specific range, with strain 100% assured (such that 3NT is not a possible final contract).

2. I open 2 showing intermediate with both minors. Partner bids 2 to ask for my shape. I bid 3 to show a maximum (14-15 type) with a spade fragment. My pattern is largely known, but I might have a void. Partner's 4 or 4 call designate a minor strain for slam purposes and force to game at least. My rebids now are kickback or exclusion, usually, but level dictates tighter method options.

The analysis of these two auction types suggests that no "What next" can really be assigned intelligently without known parameters of level, strain, strength limitations, and the like. In both sequences, Responder is entirely unknown, but strain, level, and the like still governs how you should probably play as next moves.

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users