• You cannot reply to this topic

A Good Slam or Not?

#21 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-April-11, 10:28

Thanks a lot for your all the comments:

As I said in the spoiler I was N and my p South.

@dboxley

South SHOULD bid 4D as it doesn't take up any space. North should not bid 4S, if South can't take another bid over 4H then let it rest.

wouldn't I look a bit daft if p has xxx KQxx AQxx Axx and she was just looking for something in spades?

@Zel

The North hand is absolutely as good as it can possibly be, and for many will actually be too good.

Interesting - we haven't discussed splinters too much but this is pretty much a middle of the road splinter for us, i.e. make a low diamond into a low club and it's still a splinter and slam is what 10% or something but at the same time, make a small diamond into the K and slam is clear favourite and that would also be a splinter for us.

Thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-12, 14:58

View Posteagles123, on 2014-April-11, 10:28, said:

Interesting - we haven't discussed splinters too much but this is pretty much a middle of the road splinter for us, i.e. make a low diamond into a low club and it's still a splinter and slam is what 10% or something but at the same time, make a small diamond into the K and slam is clear favourite and that would also be a splinter for us.

Change a small diamond to a small club (AKTx Axxx Txxx x) and you have a perfectly normal splinter, which for me is also in the top half of the range. It sounds from your post that this is close to a minimum for you though, so perhaps that is the issue here. Would you also splinter with KTxx Axxx KTxx x? If that were the case then I think the difference between that and AKTx Axxx Txxxx - is just too wide. To splinter with that and also AKTx Axxx KTxxx - would be crazy. This last hand looks closer to a maximum maxi-splinter than a normal splinter. Notice that this question of range is precisely why I suggest playing multiple ranges of splinters if your system allows it. Keeping splinter ranges reasonably tight is essential to getting the most out of them imho.
(-: Zel :-)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users