BBO Discussion Forums: How aggressive are you? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How aggressive are you?

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-06, 18:27

Matchpoints. Regional Open Pairs, Barometer Final. You and your partner, having barely qualified for the finals, are playing the 4th board of the finals. After 3 good results, you are faced with this problem against a top pair:

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-06, 19:13

I would pass, I Don't need much to bid 4, specially not a 6 card suit. Perhaps that's an added bonus on bidding on, being able to find a diamond fit, but I wouldn't move. If RHO raised I would move though, perhaps wrong since opponents aren't on my side...

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-06, 20:30

Pass But this one is close stinking preempts work keep doing them.

P having the heart suit had available a x and conversion to 4h with
a really good hand and they chose not to do that. Since I expect p to
score 7 tricks for their 4h bid if I had a balanced yarb my extras do
not quite add up to enough for a slam try but I have great sympathy for
anyone that makes a move.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 05:08

I am very conservative when it comes to slams at MP. I'd pass, we are allowed to put down a good dummy now and then.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-07, 06:18

The only possible bid is 5 asking for control but Kx is not what I need. And how do I know we don't have a trump loser?
PASS

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-April-07, 06:33

P probably has a spade loser since RHO didn't raise. He might have two. He might have a heart loser with J9xx offside or worse. He might have a diamond loser. He might not be able to reach the diamonds on a club lead, removing the entry. LHO may have a lightner double with a void in diamonds.

Too many things things that can go wrong. I pass.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-07, 08:03

I agree with the sentiments listed above. And, had I held this hand, I would have passed.

Fortunately for our result in the tournament, my partner did not pass. He bid 4NT, found me with one key card, and bid 6. The two hands:

Everything behaved, and 6 rolled (By the way, no coughing was involved - and, if it were, how do you show 2 singletons?).

Just goes to show that sometimes you have to do the wrong thing at the right time.

As I mentioned above, this hand was played against one of the better pairs in the event. This was the second board of the round (fourth of the event). On the preceding board, my partner opened 3 at favorable vul. My RHO bid 3, and my LHO, with a huge hand, key carded and settled for 6. Turned out that the 3 bid was based on a somewhat mediocre 6-5 in the majors, and slam depended upon favorable lies of the cards in both majors. When they were both foul, the result was down 2.

We scored 8.5 out of 9 on both hands, propelling us from 16th place after one round up to 6th place, on our way to winning. Our opps achieved the rare "dairy round" - half and half.

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2014-April-07, 09:05

5 coughs is the standard for 2 shortness, but then it is hard to tell which ones.

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-07, 11:31

your partner is nuts..

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-07, 16:09

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-April-07, 11:31, said:

your partner is nuts..

I prefer aggressive. Now, if the slam had failed, he would have been nuts. :)

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-07, 17:28

I do not think he is nuts at all. I chose to pass due to MP. He has a very close call otherwise. Preempt made our life very hard (as usual) He holds 3 keycards after all and a 6 card side suit.

I thought we would not be alone, in fact will have a lot of company even if we miss a slam when i passed at MP. Of course it also depends on the 3 hand, if it is stretched or a very aggressive one it can change everything.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-April-07, 17:40

Would you bid 4 with this hand?
Now you would be in 6-2.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-07, 17:50

View Postjogs, on 2014-April-07, 17:40, said:

People do not bid just because it is their turn to bid. (Even I don't do that Posted Image)

#14 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-April-07, 18:01

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-07, 08:03, said:

I agree with the sentiments listed above. And, had I held this hand, I would have passed.

Fortunately for our result in the tournament, my partner did not pass. He bid 4NT, found me with one key card, and bid 6. The two hands:

Everything behaved, and 6 rolled (By the way, no coughing was involved - and, if it were, how do you show 2 singletons?).

Just goes to show that sometimes you have to do the wrong thing at the right time.

As I mentioned above, this hand was played against one of the better pairs in the event. This was the second board of the round (fourth of the event). On the preceding board, my partner opened 3 at favorable vul. My RHO bid 3, and my LHO, with a huge hand, key carded and settled for 6. Turned out that the 3 bid was based on a somewhat mediocre 6-5 in the majors, and slam depended upon favorable lies of the cards in both majors. When they were both foul, the result was down 2.

We scored 8.5 out of 9 on both hands, propelling us from 16th place after one round up to 6th place, on our way to winning. Our opps achieved the rare "dairy round" - half and half.

I would have bid non Leaping Michaels on this hand of course. Now it is quite easy to bid slam. Bidding 4NT over 4H shows a lack of judgement in my opinion.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-08, 05:39

View Postjogs, on 2014-April-07, 17:40, said:

Now you would be in 6-2.

And deservedly so.

No, I would not bid 4 on the hand you presented.

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-08, 05:42

View Postthe hog, on 2014-April-07, 18:01, said:

I would have bid non Leaping Michaels on this hand of course. Now it is quite easy to bid slam. Bidding 4NT over 4H shows a lack of judgement in my opinion.

Since we were not playing non leaping Michaels, that option was not available to me. Nor was it likely available to anyone in the event.

It is my belief that non leaping Michaels is a convention that exists in these Fora and not in real life (at least in North America). I have never even heard it mentioned anywhere but in these Fora.

#17 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-April-08, 06:27

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-08, 05:42, said:

Since we were not playing non leaping Michaels, that option was not available to me. Nor was it likely available to anyone in the event.

It is my belief that non leaping Michaels is a convention that exists in these Fora and not in real life (at least in North America). I have never even heard it mentioned anywhere but in these Fora.

Really! I cannot believe that you have never heard of it apart from here Do you know Bridgewinners?
.I guess the folk on Bridgewinners have never heard of it either? Perhaps you might try these links I have googled for you.

• DEFENSIVE AND COMPETITIVE BIDDING LEADS AND ...
    bridgefiles.net/pdf/shea-commins.pdf‎W B F CONVENTION CARD. OVERCALLS (Style: Responses: 1 / 2 Level; ... Non leaping Michaels only over 3S ie. 4C=C+H. Fit jumps apply in competitive ...
  • [PDF]
    Fick/Ward
    www.sabf.co.za/trials/cc/fick_ward2.pdf‎Mar 19, 2014 - W B F CONVENTION CARD. OVERCALLS (Style: Responses: 1 / 2 Level; .... Non-Leaping Michaels. Normal, could be lighter ATV(According to ...
  • [PDF]
    WBF Convention Card D C B A - Infobridge
    www.infobridge.it/Sistemi_CC_dhondy-senior.pdf‎Non leaping Michaels. (3A)4B=B+M vs 1A, x=Ms, 1NT=ms. 2-level jumps are weak in the suit bid. 1A-1B: x=Ms, 1NT=ms. Redouble=10+, penalty-seeking, (oppo ...
  • [PDF]
    Style: Responses: 1 / 2 Level; Reopening - ECatsBridge
    www.ecatsbridge.com/documents/files/.../Wales/Goodman-Pownall.pdf‎W B F CONVENTION CARD. OVERCALLS (Style: Responses: 1 / 2 Level; ... Leaping and Non-Leaping Michaels. VS. ARTIFICIAL STRONG OPENINGS- i.e. 1♧ ...
  • [PDF]
    O - BridgeWebs
    www.bridgewebs.com/bgb/Alishaw.pdf‎W B F CONVENTION CARD. OVERCALLS (Style: Responses: 1 / 2 Level; Reopening) ... Non-leaping Michaels. SPECIAL, ARTIFICIAL & COMPETITIVE DBLS/ ...
  • [PDF]
    Val Kennewell & Margaret Lane
    www.wbu.org.uk/Int/2012/.../kenlaneWBF%20april2011-1.pdf‎W B F CONVENTION CARD. OVERCALLS (Style: Responses: 1 ... Non leaping michaels over weak 3s note 14. over weak 2s. 2NT=16-17 bal, 3NT= 18+ bal or ...
  • [PDF]
    CC - Della Monta Hackett - 17.04.13
    www2.bridge.dk/.../Download.aspx?...Files%2FFiler%2FLandshold%2F...‎non-leaping MICHAELS: 3m -4m: both Ms, 3M- 4m: 5-5 with m +. oM); 3M - 4M: both ms, 4NT: 2-suiter, WK ... International-Convention-Card. ♤ ♥ © DBV e.V. ♢ ♧.

• What 10 Conventions would you choose - Bridge Winners
    bridgewinners.com/article/view/what-10-conventions-would-you-choose/‎Apr 5, 2013 - Anything that varied from this was a "convention. .... 2-suited overcalls (Michaels, Leaping Michaels, Non-Leaping Michaels, U2NT, U4NT…) 5.
  • ]
    Convention Card Editor - Claire Bridge
    www.clairebridge.com/textes/conventions_2011/senior-dhondy.pdf‎DOUBLES. DEFENSIVE AND COMPETITIVE BIDDING. WBF Convention Card .... Non leaping Michaels. (3A)4B=B+M vs 1A, x=Ms, 1NT=ms. 2-level jumps.
  • [PDF]
    Convention Card Editor
    www.abfevents.com.au/events/anc/2012/systems/TAS_Women_1.pdf‎Michaels. Michaels. Cappalletti. Modified Cappaletti X=s.suit 2A = minors 2B = majors. X = T/O with Lebensohl Leaping Michaels. X = T/O Non leaping Michaels.
  • [PDF]
    Style: Responses: 1 / 2 Level; Reopening
    www.jcbl.or.jp/Portals/0/pdf/nec/2013Yeh%20Bros/CC_Mixed.pdf‎W B F CONVENTION CARD. OVERCALLS (Style: Responses: 1 / 2 Level; ..... (non)Leaping Michaels. Can be light with good distribution. VS. ARTIFICIAL ...

• Bridge Techniques by Eric Rodwell 2010-2014 | NewInBridge
    newinbridge.com/topics-collection‎Nowadays the whole world seems to play either this convention or something ... a method which gains substantially against the field: (non) leaping Michaels.

• Discussion list regarding the Laws of the card game ...
    comments.gmane.org/gmane.games.bridge.laws/38004‎Jan 4, 2008 - In my methods, a 4C overcall of 3D shows clubs and a major, the convention known as "non-leaping Michaels". My hand is such that I would, ...
  • [PDF]
    Convention Card Editor - livebridge.net
    livebridge.net/bbo/abf/cc/33642-251739.pdf‎PLAY CONVENTIONS. CONVENTIONS. AUSTRALIAN BRIDGE FEDERATION ... and redouble; Leaping Michaels;. Non-leaping Michaels; Specific 2-suiters. 5H.

• Re: 2 part question
    newsgroups.derkeiler.com › ArchiveRecrec.games.bridge2013-04‎Apr 2, 2013 - South opens 3D and West bids 4C (non-leaping Michaels) showing a ... follow-up agreements, is the convention still worthwhile? Well, since ...
  • [PDF]
    WBF Convention Card 2.18
    neo-bridge.org/library/CC/Ostend2010/wales/jones-jones.pdf‎Dec 15, 2009 - WBF Convention Card 2.18. Aggressive at ... vs wk 3 Dbl=t/o, non-leaping Michaels, 3NT to play,then 4Н is Baron and 4Б,4П Note#DOUBLE

"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#18 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-08, 08:14

I was referring specifically to non-leaping Michaels and I was also referring to tournament bridge in North America. Most tournament players (at least in the Flight A games) play 4 of a minor over a weak 2 in a major as the bid minor and the other major. But non-leaping Michaels is exceedingly rare (for all intents and purposes nonexistent).

Funny thing. You listed 16 items in your post. Almost all of them were from outside of North America. I looked at the Bridgewinners article that you cited. Of the 44 posts in that article, exactly ONE mentioned leaping Michaels or non-leaping Michaels as one of the 10 conventions he would choose. And he bunched it in as part of a group of 2-suited overcalls.

I don't have access to the Rodwell article, as I am not a subscriber.

So i don't find your argument persuasive to a North American player.

#19 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2014-April-08, 13:52

You would bid 4 with this hand.
Now it would be 6-1.

#20 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-April-08, 13:54

View Postjogs, on 2014-April-08, 13:52, said:

You would bid 4 with this hand.
Now it would be 6-1.

Yes, I would bid 4 on this hand, and the result would be 6-1.

So, your point is that you wouldn't bid 4NT on my partner's hand. And I believe that everyone agrees with you - including me.

But the fact remains that he did do so, and it worked. And no coughing was involved.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users