• You cannot reply to this topic

Assign the blame

#1 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-April-05, 15:42

N/S were playing precision, so south had an obvious 1 opener. After 1 (negative), south had two options: 1 (natural, NF), or 2 (game forcing, similar to 2-2-2 in standard), and chose 1. North decided to pass instead of raising.

After south managed 13 tricks, who should get the blame for missing game or slam?
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-05, 16:26

North must raise
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-05, 16:50

Indeed, although methods also come to mind...

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 17:36

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-April-05, 15:42, said:

After south managed 13 tricks, who should get the blame for missing game or slam?

Whoever thought that 1 is the safest place to play when holding 4 card support and max of a negative response, gets the blame and an immediate ticket to closest pdship desk ! Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-April-05, 18:03

I blame south 100% for agreeing to play with this north! North's failure to raise to 2 maybe the most egregious display of lack of concept that I've seen on the forum this year.

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-April-05, 18:04

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-April-05, 16:50, said:

Indeed, although methods also come to mind...

You mean methods for south to slowly torture north to death?

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-05, 18:18

The other answer to the OP ---no, South should not treat the hand the same as a 2C opener followed by a 2S rebid.

Playing plain old standard table-top Bridge with 5cM, South would/should still open 1S and North should raise....if only to prevent a cheap balancing action by the opps.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-05, 18:36

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-April-05, 18:18, said:

The other answer to the OP ---no, South should not treat the hand the same as a 2C opener followed by a 2S rebid.

Playing plain old standard table-top Bridge with 5cM, South would/should still open 1S and North should raise....if only to prevent a cheap balancing action by the opps.

Also in Precision a simple suit rebid after a negative 1 response shows 16-21. When you hold a 3 suiter hand, it is only common sense to keep the auction low as much as possible. This is one of the reasons Precision was created at the first place anyway. To avoid unnecessary jumping bids when one holds a strong hand and to keep the auction at low levels.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-April-05, 19:11

North's failure to raise is incredible and shows a total lack of understanding of the system and of hand evaluation.
Though I will also say that I do not like a system where a hand as strong as the Sth hand has to rebid 1S. That is another story however.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-05, 19:39

View Postthe hog, on 2014-April-05, 19:11, said:

Though I will also say that I do not like a system where a hand as strong as the Sth hand has to rebid 1S. That is another story however.

I don't see a drawback to a system where 1S as a rebid shows 16-21 compared against our methods where a 1S opener shows 10-21. Opener's hand only goes up in value if there is a fit, and so does alleged responder's hand.

In this instance, Opener has survived the big drawback of the system. He got to bid 1S instead of being preempted out of his sox in hearts.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 20:38

North should have had the stroke before passing 1. At least the caddy substituting would have found a raise.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-April-05, 22:53

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-April-05, 19:39, said:

I don't see a drawback to a system where 1S as a rebid shows 16-21 compared against our methods where a 1S opener shows 10-21. Opener's hand only goes up in value if there is a fit, and so does alleged responder's hand.

In this instance, Opener has survived the big drawback of the system. He got to bid 1S instead of being preempted out of his sox in hearts.

This hand counts to 20HCP. If a fit is discovered, the hand is huge. I much prefer a 1H second strength showing bid here unrelated to Hearts. Look at Power Precision for a very old fashioned version of this style.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-05, 23:26

View Postthe hog, on 2014-April-05, 22:53, said:

This hand counts to 20HCP. If a fit is discovered, the hand is huge. I much prefer a 1H second strength showing bid here unrelated to Hearts. Look at Power Precision for a very old fashioned version of this style.

I can see how that approach would protect us on this hand against responder's silly pass. Sort of like a mini-Kokish.

#14 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2014-April-06, 02:18

View PostLord Molyb, on 2014-April-05, 15:42, said:

N/S were playing precision, so south had an obvious 1 opener. After 1 (negative), south had two options: 1 (natural, NF), or 2 (game forcing, similar to 2-2-2 in standard), and chose 1. North decided to pass instead of raising.

South is 100% to blame. The suit is far too good for a simple response of 1 As 2
would be game forcing in the system,that must be the bid.4 is the par contract. How one reaches a slam is in the
lap of the gods(!).
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-06, 02:41

Inb my system 1 is 16-19 (1 showing 20+), and I think over that I would not raise with north's quaks, but it is close. When the range is 16-22 raising is obvious.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-06, 04:55

View PostFluffy, on 2014-April-06, 02:41, said:

Inb my system 1 is 16-19 (1 showing 20+), and I think over that I would not raise with north's quaks, but it is close. When the range is 16-22 raising is obvious.

IMO you should rethink about raising vs 16-19, and i believe it is a HUGE mistake not to.

I would raise with N hand even if 1 was limited to 11-14. (Basically i would raise even if S forgot to open 1 and opened 1)

I think people are extremely underestimating how much a FIT, especially 4 card fit, can improve the other hand.

Axxxxx
x
AKxx
xx

Give me 4 card support and i wanna be in 4. Even if you give me KQJx and more than doubleton diamonds, i still wanna be in 4 since then they are almost guaranteed to make 4

The term "support with support" very rarely disappointed me, if any.

It is not only about finding games or slams. You can benefit from it in different ways, especially when your side has a fit in boss suit.

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-06, 06:52

100% to north for failing to raise 1s to 2s. This is simple bridge
logic no matter the system but passing 1s while playing precision
is just plain not thinking for a second before putting that pass
card on the table.

The 1c opener has shown 16+ and 5 plus spades. That means your
partnership has a minimum of 21 hcp and a nine card trump fit.
How can it not be reasonable to raise that 1s to 2s under those
conditions? Getting caught up in HCP and downgrading quacks has
a tendency to make players forget what the bidding is trying to
accomplish. Think before you pass that's why we play this game:)

#18 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-06, 08:10

99% North, an automatic 2S bid

#19 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-April-06, 09:07

This was a sanity check, I was south. Funny story, the opening lead was made and partner places his 5432 of trumps down, and I exclaim, "You had all that and didn't raise?" :P
Become yourself.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-April-06, 18:23

View PostMrAce, on 2014-April-06, 04:55, said:

IMO you should rethink about raising vs 16-19, and i believe it is a HUGE mistake not to.

I would raise with N hand even if 1 was limited to 11-14. (Basically i would raise even if S forgot to open 1 and opened 1)

I think people are extremely underestimating how much a FIT, especially 4 card fit, can improve the other hand.

Axxxxx
x
AKxx
xx

Give me 4 card support and i wanna be in 4. Even if you give me KQJx and more than doubleton diamonds, i still wanna be in 4 since then they are almost guaranteed to make 4

The term "support with support" very rarely disappointed me, if any.

It is not only about finding games or slams. You can benefit from it in different ways, especially when your side has a fit in boss suit.

I totally echo Mr Ace's sentiments expressed in this post.
Not raising opposite even an 11-14 opening is a joke.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users