BBO Discussion Forums: Bid this after 2 passes - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this after 2 passes 2/1

Poll: 2 passes your bid (35 member(s) have cast votes)

2 passes your bid

1. 1 Heart (19 votes [54.29%])

Percentage of vote: 54.29%

2. 2 hearts (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

3. 4 hearts (12 votes [34.29%])

Percentage of vote: 34.29%

4. Something else (3 votes [8.57%])

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-05, 07:04

After 2 passes now what?

This is what happened to us

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-05, 07:32

You know my answer from past topics.

4 and yes if there is any slam, i will miss it, in return i will more often play the game i want to play, at the level i want, with less interference and less accurate lead/defense.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 07:51

i agree with mrace about 4h.

having not done so, you must bid 3s on the way to help partner over 5d - looking at a void, it shouldn't be a shock to see the opps bidding on.

as for the other hand doubling, it rather depends if 4h estblished a forcing pass, or if it could be more like a pre-empt. if the former i don't like the double - 3 is the wrong number of diamonds because it implies shortage in partner's hand. opposite shortage, you have no objection to partner bidding on, so i prefer a pass. if 4h didn't make a forcing pass, you have to double to show strength, but that gives opener a guess, though one which imo he should get right anyway.

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 08:18

Despite the result, I open 1 with this. What happens next I am less sure of. Maybe I bid 3 over 3 but probably not. But if not, and maybe even if I do, I think I would pull the double. Partner is doubling on the assumption my 4 showed some good values as well as good hearts. He should not have to make allowance for my bidding 4 on the basis of my 7-4 holding. He isn't expecting diamond triacks, he is expecting tricks, and my hand produces a lot more tricks in hearts than it does in diamonds. To put it another way, I have a 10 count and partner made a simple raise. We might well not be setting this.

My general approach, if I have opened on shape rather than strength, is to seriously consider pulling partner's first penalty double. If it then goes higher after that, I virtually never pull his second penalty double.
Ken

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 08:40

kenberg, on 2014-April-05, 08:18, said:

Despite the result, I open 1 with this. What happens next I am less sure of. Maybe I bid 3 over 3 but probably not. But if not, and maybe even if I do, I think I would pull the double. Partner is doubling on the assumption my 4 showed some good values as well as good hearts. He should not have to make allowance for my bidding 4 on the basis of my 7-4 holding. He isn't expecting diamond triacks, he is expecting tricks, and my hand produces a lot more tricks in hearts than it does in diamonds. To put it another way, I have a 10 count and partner made a simple raise. We might well not be setting this.

My general approach, if I have opened on shape rather than strength, is to seriously consider pulling partner's first penalty double. If it then goes higher after that, I virtually never pull his second penalty double.

Me too. As a matter of frequency I've been lucky enough often enough for a hand like this to be a misfit instead of a double fit where the opponents come in to their regret or we stop in a plus opposite partners short majors. Naturally there are some fails but an important factor for me is that negotiating the rest of an auction like this is one of the strongest parts of my partners game.

I have no objection to a 4 opener except that it takes that club out of partners bag.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-April-05, 09:03

Would open 1 we might belong in

I would have made a neg double with east's hand not 2 then make a limit raise in

As for west I'm not sitting for a pen X with all those after east raises

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is online   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 09:47

I prefer to open these hands 1H. Opening 4H you have no clue what to do if 5D comes around to you. Once E raises H it is foolish for a hand with all offense to sit for a penalty dble.

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 09:55

mcphee, on 2014-April-05, 09:47, said:

I prefer to open these hands 1H. Opening 4H you have no clue what to do if 5D comes around to you. Once E raises H it is foolish for a hand with all offense to sit for a penalty dble.

I might be being a bit thick, but if I opened 4 (which I would) and 5 came back to me, I would have thought I had an obvious pass.

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-April-05, 09:56

MrAce, on 2014-April-05, 07:32, said:

You know my answer from past topics.

4 and yes if there is any slam, i will miss it, in return i will more often play the game i want to play, at the level i want, with less interference and less accurate lead/defense.

We agree noting that we have a swan and are in 3rd seat with a passed PD and that LHO may hold a moose. Perhaps our 4 bid may cause them to miss a slam or to play a bad slam.

#10 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-April-05, 10:00

On the actual bidding I don't like opener's pass of 5Dx as his ODR is off the charts high and PD cannot expect his to have such low defensive strength vs 5Dx. I know that I've lectured countless PD's about pulling my doubles in similar situations but here, opener simple has to pull.

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-05, 11:26

1H

I do not mind interference and I like catering to hands that might
belong in spades rather than hearts. The actual bidding (which would
trigger forcing pass for me) means my p x of 5d can be made on
significantly less overall values and I would have no qualms
pulling to 5h. It is interesting how a simple 2d bid makes us miss
our more flexible 9 card spade fit but that is life.

Opposite a passed hand I have great sympathy for anyone that
prefers to open this hand 4h since it takes such a perfect max
for a passed hand for our side to make a slam. Bidding 4h also
has the benefit of being highly preemptive even if it misses the
right strain on occasion.

1h = 10 4h = 8

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-05, 16:56

Seems like a typical 3rd seat 3 opener...

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-April-05, 19:51

4H, Burgess' rule.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-April-05, 19:53

mcphee, on 2014-April-05, 09:47, said:

That's the whole point. 5D is unlikely to come around to you if you open 4H. If it does, then you have an obvious pass.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#15 User is offline   starter12 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-05, 23:21

dickiegera, on 2014-April-05, 07:04, said:

After 2 passes now what?

This is what happened to us

4c Mitchell transfer to 4 h or slam ask

#16 User is offline   starter12 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-05, 23:25

And yes I know it bends the Mitchel tx pattern

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-06, 05:27

the hog, on 2014-April-05, 19:51, said:

4H, Burgess' rule.

What is Burgess rule Ron ?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#18 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-April-06, 05:37

MrAce, on 2014-April-06, 05:27, said:

What is Burgess rule Ron ?

Stephen Burgess always opined that 7-4 shapes should be opened at the game level. If you are not sure who SB is, he was the better half of the Marston Burgess strong pass/moscito partnership which was amongst the top 5 or so pairs in the world in its heyday. I have played against both players many times and Burgess is an unbelievable card player, also very funny and very rude.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-April-06, 05:38

the hog, on 2014-April-06, 05:37, said:

Stephen Burgess always opined that 7-4 shapes should be opened at the game level. If you are not sure who SB is, he was the better half of the Marston Burgess strong pass/moscito partnership which was amongst the top 5 or so pairs in the world in its heyday. I have played against both players many times and Burgess is an unbelievable card player, also very funny and very rude.

Ok, thanks.

#20 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-April-06, 05:45

Timo
, here is a thread hijack, but a funny Burgess story. Burgess with a multi mill sponsor playing against me. Erwin puts down a dummy that resembles nothing like what he had shown in the auction. Erwin get your fxxxxxxx ugly face to the bar, order the table a round of drinks and don't come back till I give you permission.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users