BBO Discussion Forums: Conflict between Flash, Avast and IE11 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Conflict between Flash, Avast and IE11

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-04, 22:43

There is probably nothing that you can do about it at your end, but I thought I would let you know just in case,

I know I am a bit of a dinosaur but I tend to prefer using Windows operating system, Avast antivirus, and Internet Explorer as default browser, including when playing BBO.

No problems until recently when I have splashed out on souped up laptop/tablet hybrid 64 bit machine with Windows 8.1 and IE11. (Previously a 32 bit Vista machine with IE10).

Now, if I try to log into BBO with the above, Only the top inch or so of the BBO window displays (down to about halfway down the password field in the login screen). Everything below that is pure white. It is the same after logging in.

I observe this effect after disabling all IE add-ins except for Shockwave Flash player add-in (without which I cannot get to the login page at all - as expected) and the Avast Antivirus IE add-in.

If I disable the Avast Antivirus IE add-in (and enable any other add-ins that I desire) then everything works smoothly.

So it is without doubt the Avast add-in (to IE11) that is causing the conflict with the BBO web page. I don't know of any other Flash-based web pages against which to test it.

There are two brute force "work-arounds", both of which I have checked and work:

1) Disable the Avast add-in, and continue to use IE11, or

2) Use a different browser. Chrome certainly works.

Naturally, if there is anything that you can do at your end to eliminate the conflict it would be appreciated. But I am not expecting it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users