Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overcall question pass or Double

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-04, 06:56

The Wife and I had a bad result yesterday...I'm not in the doghouse as we ended up with a 56%, but we are on different pages and would like to hear comemnts :

Playing Precision is second seat and we are vulnerable, matchpoints. My RHO opens 1S. I have 16 HCP with A-K-x-x in spades, x-x in Hearts, Q-x-x Diamond, and A-Q-J in Clubs. I passed (our partnership agreement is that if I overcall 1NT, I am showing atleast 5-5 in the two upper unbid suits). LHO bids 2C. My wife bids 2D and I jump to 3NT.

There is a heart lead and I crash and burn.

My wife thinks I should have doubled the 1S opening and then bid 2NT on my second bid to show balanced 16 point hand.

I think take out double send w wrong message since my distribution is bad and I am short in Hearts . I jumped to 3NT on the assumption that her 2 level overcall, vulnerable, showed good suit and 10+ HCP and I gambled on a club or Spade lead assuming she had Hearts protected.

Can you comment on the above ? Can you also comment on our unusual 1NT overcall agreement; it seems to me the 1NT overcall showing balanced, 16 HP and suit stopped is pretty rare occurance

Thank you

#2 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 07:04

View PostShugart23, on 2014-April-04, 06:56, said:

The Wife and I had a bad result yesterday...I'm not in the doghouse as we ended up with a 56%, but we are on different pages and would like to hear comemnts :

Playing Precision is second seat and we are vulnerable, matchpoints. My RHO opens 1S. I have 16 HCP with A-K-x-x in spades, x-x in Hearts, Q-x-x Diamond, and A-Q-J in Clubs. I passed (our partnership agreement is that if I overcall 1NT, I am showing atleast 5-5 in the two upper unbid suits). LHO bids 2C. My wife bids 2D and I jump to 3NT.

There is a heart lead and I crash and burn.

My wife thinks I should have doubled the 1S opening and then bid 2NT on my second bid to show balanced 16 point hand.

I think take out double send w wrong message since my distribution is bad and I am short in Hearts . I jumped to 3NT on the assumption that her 2 level overcall, vulnerable, showed good suit and 10+ HCP and I gambled on a club or Spade lead assuming she had Hearts protected.

Can you comment on the above ? Can you also comment on our unusual 1NT overcall agreement; it seems to me the 1NT overcall showing balanced, 16 HP and suit stopped is pretty rare occurance

Thank you

My wife had A-K-J fifth in Diamonds and nothing else (and was suggesting a lead)

#3 User is offline   yunling 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:meteorology

Posted 2014-April-04, 07:06

Wrong forum, I think :(

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-04, 07:12

With 5-5 in the two upper unbid suits you can just bid the opponent's suit. Presumably you use that for something else, though. If you want to use the cuebid with 5-5 in the highest and lowest unbid suit, you can play Equal Level Conversion which means that double can among other things be a minimum opening strength hand with both upper unbid suits. That is,
(1)-x-(pass)-2
(pass)-2
shows 5+ diamonds and 4+ hearts, 12-16 points or so.

Anyway, if you want to use the 1NT overcall for something other than the balanced 15-18, you have to pass with some of those hands. There is a trick that allows you do double with at least some of them: agree that partner responds 1NT with any weak balanced hand, even without a stopper in their suit. This is to play opposite the balanced 15-18. The consequence of this is that if partner bids 2/ in response to the double, she is showing some values (at least unless she has extra length and is happy to play 3/). At least 8 or maybe 7 points: to play opposite the usual 12-14 hand with classical t/o shape, but at least invitational opposite the balanced 15-18.

With a small doubleton in hearts I wouldn't double 1 even with that agreement, though.

I wouldn't take you wife's 2 bid as constructive. Opps have shown the majority of the strength with their 2-level response so she is just asking for a lead. Don't expect her to have a heart stopper. OTOH you might not get a heart lead, and neither opp is likely to have five hearts. So I can understand you want to try for game. I think 2NT is enough, though.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 07:12

I'm sure you'll enjoy playing 2N/3X when everybody else is a level lower opposite xx, xxxx, xxxx, xxx. The 1N overcall showing the balanced hand is common enough to be useful.

#6 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 07:41

My wife thinks I should have doubled the 1S opening and then bid 2NT on my second bid to show balanced 16 point hand. -- Shugart23

*** Would your wife refrain from jumping to 4H with H:KQxx(X) plus a side K?
To avoid this 4H on H:4-2/5-2?
I want my T/O doubles to promise the other Major. At least up to a 17 primes with a good suit.
Do you want your responses constrained when 16 BUT H:xx is possible?

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 10:55

The reason one plays a conventional NT overcall is to avoid the hands that go 1M-1NT-X-telephone. And that *certainly* includes a balanced 16 with half the points in their suit. I can't imagine the response to that is to bid effectively 1M-2NT.

What are the opponents playing that 1-p-2 can be done on a combined 16 high? When I hear that auction and bid on AKJxx, those are the tricks I'm getting in 2x.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-04, 11:00

View Postmycroft, on 2014-April-04, 10:55, said:

The reason one plays a conventional NT overcall is to avoid the hands that go 1M-1NT-X-telephone. And that *certainly* includes a balanced 16 with half the points in their suit. I can't imagine the response to that is to bid effectively 1M-2NT.

What are the opponents playing that 1-p-2 can be done on a combined 16 high? When I hear that auction and bid on AKJxx, those are the tricks I'm getting in 2x.

That's a good point on what the h*** were the opponents doing...I can't recall if they were the little old ladies

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users