BBO Discussion Forums: Elinescu-Wladow were stupid. You haven't found the smart cheats... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Elinescu-Wladow were stupid. You haven't found the smart cheats...

#361 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-September-16, 15:49

I dont really have the time to read all of the above, im wondering if there is a text of the defense arguments/rebuttal in english ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#362 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-September-16, 18:00

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-September-16, 12:17, said:

What recordings? A director took notes and testified about them. Do you want to see them in his handwriting or what do you mean by "recordings"?
Lessons might have been learnt from the Reese-Shapiro cheating investigation. Among criticisms (made at the time and since) are:
  • Observers were told the alleged code before making their observations.
  • There were observational discrepancies. For example, Sami Kehela, American team coach, noticed nothing significant, although he was also told the alleged code in advance and observed some of the same boards as other witnesses.

There was ample time to set up video/sound recording for the Cavendish. Such evidence might corroborate the written records of the observer.

#363 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-September-16, 18:10

View Postbenlessard, on 2014-September-16, 15:49, said:

I dont really have the time to read all of the above, im wondering if there is a text of the defense arguments/rebuttal in english ?

Yes, there is.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#364 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-September-16, 19:54

View Postnige1, on 2014-September-16, 18:00, said:

There was ample time to set up video/sound recording for the Cavendish.

But it wasn't done apparently, so why do you keep demanding nonexistent recordings?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#365 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2014-September-16, 21:02

Yes, there is.
Yes, there is. Do you have a link or its not available ?
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#366 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-September-17, 03:46

View Postmgoetze, on 2014-September-16, 19:54, said:

But it wasn't done apparently, so why do you keep demanding nonexistent recordings?
How does mgoetze know that there are no relevant Cavendish recordngs? It seems more likely that recordings were made. Were they botched? Do they fail to confirm the allegations, conclusively? Or are they being kept as a Mr_Ace in the hole?

#367 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-17, 10:15

View Postnige1, on 2014-September-16, 18:00, said:

For example, Sami Kehela, American team coach,...
Eeich. That scrapes like nails on a blackboard every time I hear it.

*North American* team coach, please...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#368 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-September-17, 11:17

Does Eric prefer "North American American Team Coach?"
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#369 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-September-17, 13:50

Well, in this case, it was the North American Team. The fact that, that year, all three pairs were U.S. doesn't change that.

Eric would probably also prefer "coach of the <team> team" whatever it is :-)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#370 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-13, 15:58

The German team has been stripped of their title and medals. The Lynch team has been declared the winners!
The 3rd and 4th place teams have also been moved up in the final standings.
I would post a link to the bulletin from Sanya that reports this, but the target PDF file has an error (I read it ok, but many others cannot).

(now we can have 3 weeks of meaningless discussions about how one of the other teams might have been the winner if not coughed out earlier by the doctors!)
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#371 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-13, 16:31

View PostBillHiggin, on 2014-October-13, 15:58, said:

(now we can have 3 weeks of meaningless discussions about how one of the other teams might have been the winner if not coughed out earlier by the doctors!)

No we won't, because there is no evidence to support the idea that other teams were cheated too. We all can predict that they were, but what we think is irrelevant in the eye of law. US team did better than other teams even if other teams were cheated, by paying more attention than other teams to what was going on at the table. Germans played vs a lot of European opponents in the past, and this was Eddie's first encounter with them and he nailed them in this first encounter. Their effort also helped entire bridge community so that no team in the world will lose their title to this pair in the future. This is how I see it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#372 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-October-13, 17:01

View PostMrAce, on 2014-October-13, 16:31, said:

No we won't, because there is no evidence to support the idea that other teams were cheated too. We all can predict that they were, but what we think is irrelevant in the eye of law.

I think I agree. However, in athletics, everyone moves up, as happened with Ben Johnson's gold being awarded to Carl Lewis. The German doctors are assumed to be disqualified from the whole event, but I am not aware of whether the rules of the event cover how the various medals are then decided.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#373 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-13, 17:07

View Postlamford, on 2014-October-13, 17:01, said:

I think I agree. However, in athletics, everyone moves up, as happened with Ben Johnson's gold being awarded to Carl Lewis. The German doctors are assumed to be disqualified from the whole event, but I am not aware of whether the rules of the even cover how the various medals are then decided.

In BW someone wrote "Poland moves to second, France to third." but I am having hard time to download the WBF- PDF

Edit: sorry for the bold, copied and pasted from BW.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#374 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-13, 17:39

View PostMrAce, on 2014-October-13, 17:07, said:

In BW someone wrote "Poland moves to second, France to third." but I am having hard time to download the WBF- PDF

That is indeed what the bulletin says (not sure why the download worked for me)
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#375 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-20, 16:05

Copy and paste

1. Germany results to be disqualified from the2013 d'Orsi Seniors Trophy;
2. Germany is stripped from any placement inthe 2013 d'Orsi Seniors Trophy;
3. The Gold Medals are revoked from Germanyand all the members of the German Seniors Team and have to be returned to the WBF together with the d'Orsi Trophy and its Replicas;
4. The title of World Champion is revoked from Germany and all the members of the German Seniors Team;
5. The WBF Master Points awarded to any member of the German Seniors Team are removed, And by majority of votes (18 in favour, 1 against and 4 abstentions),states
6. The final ranking of the 2013 d'Orsi Seniors Trophy is modified, elevating the teams which finished second (USA), third (Poland) and fourth (France) to respectively first, second and third, awarding them the relevant Medals, Titles, Trophies,
Replicas and WBF Master Points;.

#376 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-20, 16:35

After all this time, if you go to the home page of the European Bridge League website , you can still see a picture of the "winners" on the 2013 World Seniors Bowl final with their medals. Not much point in stripping people of their medals if the Zone still leaves their photo on its website!

#377 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-October-21, 05:23

View Postjallerton, on 2014-October-20, 16:35, said:

After all this time, if you go to the home page of the European Bridge League website , you can still see a picture of the "winners" on the 2013 World Seniors Bowl final with their medals. Not much point in stripping people of their medals if the Zone still leaves their photo on its website!

You know how lazy people are to update their site. But if you meant they do not recognize the decision of WBF, then it is totally different thing that I did not know.

#378 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-22, 16:36

I agree that many websites have obsolete pages on rarely viewed of their websites.

But I would expect someone from the EBL to have looked at their own home page at some point during the last seven months and to reccognise that it's more than a little insensitive to be highlighting the achievement of this particular team (whether they agree with the decision or not).

#379 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-October-22, 18:50

I'm honestly surprised no-one has used an electronic device to cheat. That would the easiest way to do so. That hardest part would be getting the signal from the computer to you. LEDs in the glasses is high risk. People have used vibrations but that might be too loud for bridge.

#380 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-October-22, 19:15

View Postmycroft, on 2014-September-17, 13:50, said:

Well, in this case, it was the North American Team. The fact that, that year, all three pairs were U.S. doesn't change that.

LOL
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users