• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

awful clichés

#81 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-28, 08:32

View Postgwnn, on 2014-April-28, 08:05, said:

Has anyone ever seen people bidding with playing cards? I thought it was pretty funny the one time I saw it (it was in a long competitive auction with someone who had already shown a lot of spades "bid" 6 over 6 with the six of spades). Of course you can only do it with understanding opps in a non-competitive game, and once every 10 years seems enough.

I have seen this in real life, but it wouldn't fit this category.

My RHO, an elderly lady, dealt and opened the bidding by putting the 2 on the table. After our initial objection, it was clear that she was not aware that she did anything wrong (or funny). So, we called the TD.

We told him what had happened, and he asked the lady why she put the 2 on the table. Her response: "Why? What is wrong with opening 2?". It took the TD quite some convincing to let her pick up the playing card and pull out the bidding card. I am pretty sure this lady is not with us anymore, but if she would be she probably still thinks that we were illegally trying to bar her from opening a perfectly allowed 2.

(I must say that this was in the ACBL, where the bridge players are very old, and at a time that bidding boxes were just starting to be introduced there (around 1995!).)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#82 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-28, 08:43

Has anyone ever seen people bidding with playing cards? I thought it was pretty funny the one time I saw it (it was in a long competitive auction with someone who had already shown a lot of spades "bid" 6 over 6 with the six of spades). Of course you can only do it with understanding opps in a non-competitive game, and once every 10 years seems enough.

Dave Treadwell used to do this quite a bit. Furthermore, after the bidding was concluded, he would often say "You didn't have your bid." If I had bid 4, he would then demonstrate that I didn't have my bid by putting the 4 down in the dummy.

#83 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 09:47

That was one of the standards in the "crazy bridge" tournaments. You could only bid what was in your hand. Of course, book didn't count - you could bid 1 to take 1 trick (I can't remember what the scoring rules were).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#84 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-28, 12:09

I've seen it once. I almost did it myself once, but I caught it before I put the card out.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#85 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-30, 00:50

View PostArtK78, on 2014-April-28, 08:43, said:

Dave Treadwell used to do this quite a bit. Furthermore, after the bidding was concluded, he would often say "You didn't have your bid." If I had bid 4, he would then demonstrate that I didn't have my bid by putting the 4 down in the dummy.

Once against Helgemo-Forrester, Forrester made some conventional call that Helgemo explained as showing 4 spades, but when Forrester put down the dummy he had only J4 and apologized for his misbid. Then he said, "Actually, my bid showed the 4 of spades. His English isn't too good."
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#86 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-30, 00:54

View Postbarmar, on 2014-April-09, 08:58, said:

Forgot one of the classics: "Grossly underbid". Said when you bid a normal part-score that makes enough tricks for game, or a game that makes slam, because of an extremely favorable lie of the cards.

I sometimes say, "Meckwell would've bid it," especially if it's such an unlikely result that even R-M wouldn't go near it.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#87 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 17:32

Some I'm prone to:

Bidding dies out at the 1 level: "Don't everybody get excited at once."

Auction something like (I'm in 2nd seat)

1 P 1 1
X P 2 P
P 2 3 all pass

"Operation Push Them To The 3 Level has succeeded."

#88 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 18:25

View PostGreenMan, on 2014-May-04, 17:32, said:

Some I'm prone to:

Bidding dies out at the 1 level: "Don't everybody get excited at once."

Auction something like (I'm in 2nd seat)

1 P 1 1
X P 2 P
P 2 3 all pass

"Operation Push Them To The 3 Level has succeeded."

There are certainly auctions like that at the club...not possible, though, if we are at the table either direction.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#89 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-06, 07:11

I've several times seen the thing of people showing a card to make the bid, but I'm told that Bocchi has just sent the 2 through the screen on the tray to bid 2!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#90 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-06, 16:10

View Postgordontd, on 2014-May-06, 07:11, said:

I've several times seen the thing of people showing a card to make the bid, but I'm told that Bocchi has just sent the 2 through the screen on the tray to bid 2!

An exposed card during the auction? How did you rule? Or was 2 known to be from another pack?

#91 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-06, 16:16

View Postjallerton, on 2014-May-06, 16:10, said:

An exposed card during the auction? How did you rule? Or was 2 known to be from another pack?

I wasn't asked to rule. None of the players at the table commented.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#92 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 00:38

We have a player at our club, whenever the defensive cards break 3-3 he says "Oh, you good people."

#93 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-10, 02:18

View Postpaua, on 2014-May-10, 00:38, said:

We have a player at our club, whenever the defensive cards break 3-3 he says "Oh, you good people."

Once when playing in a 7-6 fit, partner played a round for fun and then said, "Oh good, they break."
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#94 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 14:30

I had a regular partner who called the 13th card in a 4333 suit Elmer. As dummy after all followed to three rounds he would sometimes say "Who's got Elmer?"

Playing with him I occasionally got to call for Elmer off the dummy. I am easily amused.

#95 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 16:13

I'd heard this one somewhere before.

Partner overbids and gets to declare. He finesses on the opening lead, takes a deep finesse on the next trick, cashes trumps which split 3-2, does a few more shenanigans and lands with an overtrick or two.

LHO say to my partner "with your luck, it's a surprise the trump suit didn't break 2½ - 2½ !!"

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users