Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

chat log

#1 User is offline   DougC43 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-30, 08:57

I have been using the downloaded BBO program for years, but a friend talked me into trying the web version, so I have been doing that for the last few days, and she has me almost convinced. But one feature I know I will miss is the ability to log all chat. I refer frequently to the chat log, and I don't understand why the option has been removed. I understand that I can do it manually, by selecting, copying and pasting, but that is a somewhat clunky process and I know that I will frequently forget to do it; the online version is certainly an improvement in most areas, but this is a step backward. I have made my living as a programmer, and there cannot be a technical reason why this is not possible. It would be such a simple feature to restore; it's hard for me to understand why the option is not offered.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-30, 11:00

Hi DougC43 and welcome to the forums.

You will find sympathy among a huge number of your peers about this issue. Not just the logging of chat, but also the local logging of hands. Yes you can go to MyHands, but not all hands that you play on BBO are recorded in MyHands. You can also save hands in a personal area on the BBO server. But it remains a drop in functionality, as with the chat log for which there is nothing like a satisfactory workaround

Still, you asked for the reason, and it is down to security. The Flash engine forbids the functionality that you seek, apparently as to do so would make Flash fundamentally exposed to exploitation by malware. Don't ask me for the detail, I am no programmer. But that is it. And because of this there is no point in asking for it because it ain't gonna happen.

Whether HTML5 would have overcome these hurdles again I could not say.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   DougC43 

• Pip

Posted 2014-March-30, 13:24

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-March-30, 11:00, said:

Hi DougC43 and welcome to the forums.

You will find sympathy among a huge number of your peers about this issue. Not just the logging of chat, but also the local logging of hands. Yes you can go to MyHands, but not all hands that you play on BBO are recorded in MyHands. You can also save hands in a personal area on the BBO server. But it remains a drop in functionality, as with the chat log for which there is nothing like a satisfactory workaround

Still, you asked for the reason, and it is down to security. The Flash engine forbids the functionality that you seek, apparently as to do so would make Flash fundamentally exposed to exploitation by malware. Don't ask me for the detail, I am no programmer. But that is it. And because of this there is no point in asking for it because it ain't gonna happen.

Whether HTML5 would have overcome these hurdles again I could not say.

Thanks, Jack. Then an alternative suggestion would be to add a "select all" button to the chat window to facilitate the copying and pasting :)

#4 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-31, 14:56

View PostDougC43, on 2014-March-30, 13:24, said:

Thanks, Jack. Then an alternative suggestion would be to add a "select all" button to the chat window to facilitate the copying and pasting :)

Maybe BBO could do that. It would be nice.

In any event, you can do what you want. Right click in the chat window, select all (or Ctrl-A keyboard shortcut). Then right click copy (or Ctrl-C), then paste it where you like. You might like to use Evernote, or MS-Word, etc. Evernote is a nice choice - searchable, you can organize it however you want to, and you don't need to back it up because it is stored on Evernote's servers. You can get apps for it on smart phones, tablets, your PC, and if you got a Mac, you would still have access to it. :)

#5 User is offline   DougC43 

• Pip

Posted 2014-March-31, 15:20

View PostFM75, on 2014-March-31, 14:56, said:

Maybe BBO could do that. It would be nice.

In any event, you can do what you want. Right click in the chat window, select all (or Ctrl-A keyboard shortcut). Then right click copy (or Ctrl-C), then paste it where you like. You might like to use Evernote, or MS-Word, etc. Evernote is a nice choice - searchable, you can organize it however you want to, and you don't need to back it up because it is stored on Evernote's servers. You can get apps for it on smart phones, tablets, your PC, and if you got a Mac, you would still have access to it. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users