BBO Discussion Forums: Suggestion: BBO app - dictate chat - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion: BBO app - dictate chat

Poll: Dictating instead of typing (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you regularly dictate on your mobile/tablet?

1. Yes - it works well. (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Occasionally (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Tried - it doesn't work at all (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Never tried it (1 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

5. Wouldn't want to dictate in the first place. (3 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-30, 01:45

I love using the BBO app to kib, but it's a last resort for me to play games on. The reason is people expect me to be my usual chatty self, but chatting brings up a huge keyboard obscuring the play (iOS).

Seeing as many people (including me) use dictation when replying to short emails I was wondering if it would be possible to click on the microphone symbol to dictate into bbo chat without invoking the screen keyboard.

This might also be welcome relief for those who can't type fast.

I've tried using dictation on bbo - and it does work well (but you have to say "Thank you partner" not "typ")

All the best,
Alan

PS: I wouldn't normally be so brave with such a suggestion but seeing as the bbo software has always been so far advanced of other apps I thought I'd give this suggestion a go,

#2 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-31, 20:40

alanrick, on 2014-March-30, 01:45, said:

I love using the BBO app to kib, but it's a last resort for me to play games on. The reason is people expect me to be my usual chatty self, but chatting brings up a huge keyboard obscuring the play (iOS).

Seeing as many people (including me) use dictation when replying to short emails I was wondering if it would be possible to click on the microphone symbol to dictate into bbo chat without invoking the screen keyboard.

This might also be welcome relief for those who can't type fast.

I've tried using dictation on bbo - and it does work well (but you have to say "Thank you partner" not "typ")

All the best,
Alan

PS: I wouldn't normally be so brave with such a suggestion but seeing as the bbo software has always been so far advanced of other apps I thought I'd give this suggestion a go,

Never tried it. But it makes sense to me.
Especially on a small device lacking a real keyboard. That said, the output is text, so the person with failing near vision still has a problem on the receiving end..

The sound app on the web works great if everyone is on the web in teaching tables. Promote it to regular tablets! People want to record chat to text. This is an issue that needs thought.

Bug alert - the speakers on web chat are all labeled as 4's regardless of their normal BBO designation.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-01, 08:45

FM75, on 2014-March-31, 20:40, said:

Bug alert - the speakers on web chat are all labeled as 4's regardless of their normal BBO designation.

We've already fixed this for the next version.

#4 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-31, 00:21

FM75, on 2014-March-31, 20:40, said:

.. But it makes sense to me. Especially on a small device lacking a real keyboard. ..
The sound app on the web works great if everyone is on the web in teaching tables. Promote it to regular tablets! .

Ok ... so that's two tablet/mobile suggestions I'd love to see:
1. Dictate chat (without keyboard obscuring screen)
2. Voice support (speak and listen) on teaching tables.
Alan

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-August-01, 09:48

It seems to me that dictation should be something provided generally by the OS, or perhaps by a third-party application that extends all other apps. It shouldn't be necessary for each app that accepts text input input to provide its own dictation capability.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-August-03, 03:04

I just noticed that my Kindle Fire HDX does have built-in dictation capability. When the keyboard pops up, there's a microphone button to the left of the space bar. Tapping that lets you dictate a message. It's kind of clunky and slow -- you have to say the whole message, tap Done, then wait for it to process it (I think it uses a network service for this) -- but it works.

I don't know if this is a Kindle-specific feature or a more general Android feature.

#7 User is offline   alanrick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-August-08, 02:44

Absolutely agree. iOS already supports this for the BBO app but brings up the keyboard obscuring most of the play I was hoping that Apple offers an API to enable dictation without the keyboard display. But I wasn't suggesting you develop BBOs own dictation service
Alan.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users