Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bidding help how to show a void

#1 User is offline   mightyky 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-29, 14:43

I play "party" contract bridge with some friends. Need help with bidding a hand as shown below:
Right hand opponent dealt and passed. I bid 1 Heart with 6 card heart suit headed with A & King. I had 4 spades with the King honor, 3 low clubs, and a void in diamonds. Left opponent bid 2 clubs and my partner bid 2 spades. She had six spades missing the King honor, 3 hearts with the Queen honor, 4 low diamonds and a void in clubs. I had 10 high card points and a void. She had 10 high card points and a void. Thus some would say we each had 15 points with our voids. We stopped at 4 spades since we each had 3 or 4 possible losers in the our minor suit holding. With the voids we took all 13 tricks. Is there a bidding method to show these voids. We had a slam in either hearts or spades if we knew how to bid to show the void strength.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:26

As I understand it, this is what is going on

In the tournament world with relatively simple arrangements, N could bid 4 over 2 showing a singleton or void in diamonds and spade support. S could bid 5 showing no high card heart control, first or second round club control and a reason for sidestepping blackwood which is almost certainly a club void (although could be a heart void), N now bids 5 to confirm either stiff ace or a void, S can now bid 6 to show he has those buttoned up and no heart control of any kind, N bids 6 which suggests AK and looking for third round control for the grand and S bids 7.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:38

It's a grand slam on less than 1/2 the deck and in the real world your opponents are bouncing to at least 5 of a minor quickly and are odds on to make it.

Don't sweat this auction, it will never happen again.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-30, 08:26

This hand is an exceptional example of the power of a "splinter" bid.
(I will let you look that term up on the internet). Cyberyeti gives a
great explanation of how to use them effectively to arrive in the otherwise
elusive grand slam.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users