• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spam A possible solution?

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-29, 07:25

Here on BBO we don't usually have too much trouble with spam, but the current situation has got me thinking. Maybe new posters could be required to fill out a simple quiz to verify that a) they are real ans b) that they know at least a little about bridge.

I imagine that someone here has a program that sends tens of thousands of emails back to the spammer. Is this usually a good idea?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-29, 09:09

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-29, 07:25, said:

Here on BBO we don't usually have too much trouble with spam, but the current situation has got me thinking. Maybe new posters could be required to fill out a simple quiz to verify that a) they are real ans b) that they know at least a little about bridge.

Or maybe require that they've actually played on BBO. Several of the handles used for this morning's spam flood are not even BBO usernames.

I imagine that someone here has a program that sends tens of thousands of emails back to the spammer. Is this usually a good idea?

Spammers typically use forged return addresses, so flooding them with bounce messages is rarely helpful.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-29, 09:42

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-29, 07:25, said:

It is illegal.
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-29, 09:47

I thought that I recalled some comment from a long time back that new posters to the forums were required to register a user ID with BBO and then use that ID for the forum. Those with old handles were exempt, but then there was no real need to police them. I guess that I got this wrong.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-29, 09:47

I thought that I recalled some comment from a long time back that new posters to the forums were required to register a user ID with BBO and then use that ID for the forum. Those with old handles were exempt, but then there was no real need to police them. I guess that I got this wrong.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-March-29, 09:50

I was about to delete one of your duplicate posts, but I decided to leave it around for the irony :)

#7 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-29, 09:59

Who is irony?
Does she need one all for herself, can't she copy the first one.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-March-29, 10:01

I was wrong, they're all BBO usernames. I mistyped some of them when I was looking them up.

But some of them don't have any logins, the others only logged in once, and they haven't played any hands.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-29, 10:07

yup . playing with new windows 8 tablet which seems to like double posting

#10 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-March-29, 10:17

You have to have a BBO alias to post here. There is nothing to stop people from creating an alias just to post. It seems like a lot of work for no gain as the spam is deleted as soon as someone flags it and an administrator has time to check their email... and then log in and delete it. We also ban that alias from posting again and try some other tricks that work sometime, not others.

You guys keep up the good work... just flag spam with the repot button. All you have to say is SPAM in the text. Thanks.

--Ben--

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-29, 11:45

View Postbarmar, on 2014-March-29, 09:09, said:

Or maybe require that they've actually played on BBO.

Well, I don't know. I actually played a few robot races or some such several years ago, but I could easily have not done that and never played on BBO. I am sure that there are a fair few posters who have never played on BBO.

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-March-29, 10:07, said:

yup . playing with new windows 8 tablet which seems to like double posting

Sometimes my mini iPad doesn't content itself with just the double post...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:02

To some extent we may be limited in our options by the version of InVision software that drives the forum. That said, one solution might be to require that any post must contain a minimum number of key words (the minimum number being a function of the total post size), typical key words being:

contract, bridge, bid, overbid, underbid, overcall, overcaller, advancer, advance, pass, double, redouble, spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs, no-trumps, no trumps, notrumps, N, NT, S, H, D, C, jacoby, transfer, stayman, staymen (ha! Ha!), lebensohl, blackwood, RKCB, byzantine, takeout, take-out, penalty, consultative, constructive, forcing, non-forcing, nonforcing, game, partscore, partial, invitation, invitational, signout, lebensohl, rubensohl, splinter, defence, defense, declare, declarer, dummy, lead, follow, revoke, discard, signal, honour

You get the drift.

I am willing to bet that yer average spam post contains a remarkably low proportion of hit rate measured against these key words while the hit rate for a genuine post would be high, with a wide gulf in between. There need be no publicity regarding what qualifies. The vast majority of posters would never know that the filtration exists, and their posts would be published without any hitch. But the spammers would be autoblocked without ever realising the cause.

Indeed I would go further: The spammer's post would be posted to the forum but only visible to the spammer. They would never know that the message never got through.

There is no way that this could apply to the Water Cooler, and you would obviously require a different database of key words in foreign language subforums (just curious but do they ever get hit by spam?)

Any posts that were blocked or filtered as a result of this rule would be flagged up for forum moderators to review. If it is spam the moderator would block the user. If it turns out to be a false positive, the moderator could release it for general consumption. But if the key words (and threshold) are intelligently set, it would not result in significantly more work for the moderators (and probably a lot less).

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:16

View Postbarmar, on 2014-March-29, 09:50, said:

I was about to delete one of your duplicate posts, but I decided to leave it around for the irony :)

We had a fire station burn down here in the UK a few weeks ago, at Downham market. It is speculated that someone left the irony on.

#14 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:25

I'm thinking...we'll set it so a poster need to have some min. BBO logins to post. New BBO names require email confirmation, and then logging in/out require some effort.

I think this is possible.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#15 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:30

Can't a new BBO member have some legitimate questions after just one BBO login? But I do think verifying email is a good thing.

#16 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-29, 15:43

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-March-29, 15:30, said:

Can't a new BBO member have some legitimate questions after just one BBO login?

Maybe the Support subforum should have more relaxed criteria

#17 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-29, 16:04

Can't a new BBO member have some legitimate questions after just one BBO login? But I do think verifying email is a good thing.

Both me and Aurora knew absolutely nothing about bridge when we first logged on BBO. I know a few Chinese players who also learned from scratch, playing with robots. I think we wd have failed a quiz miserably :) Some people really learn from zero on BBO, and I think that is more valuable than keeping the occasional spammers out of the forums. A confidential minimum number of logins seems more sensible than quizzing newcomers IMO.

#18 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2014-March-29, 17:52

Anything is possible, but I doubt it. I'll make sure it doesn't take too long to get post rights.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-29, 19:40

View Postbarmar, on 2014-March-29, 09:09, said:

Spammers typically use forged return addresses, so flooding them with bounce messages is rarely helpful.

Forgive me for being dense, but then how do people who want their voodoo magic or whatever it was get in touch?

#20 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-29, 21:04

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-March-29, 16:04, said:

Both me and Aurora knew absolutely nothing about bridge when we first logged on BBO. I know a few Chinese players who also learned from scratch, playing with robots. I think we wd have failed a quiz miserably :) Some people really learn from zero on BBO, and I think that is more valuable than keeping the occasional spammers out of the forums. A confidential minimum number of logins seems more sensible than quizzing newcomers IMO.

yes,yes,I totally agree with you.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users