BBO Discussion Forums: The W-E affair and the videos on YouTube - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The W-E affair and the videos on YouTube

#1 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2014-April-08, 04:16

To those of you who have actually endured watching the entire videos on YouTube featuring boards 1-2 and 5-16 from session 5 of the finals of the Bali d'Orsi Senior Bowl:

1) What specific cheating hypothesis do you think was being tested during session 5?
2) Having watched the videos carefully, how do you judge the hypothesis in 1)?

Btw, I'm a newcomer to this forum. I guess it shows.

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-09, 06:21

The three relevant videos on YouTube are:

"2013 Bali USA GER v2", featuring boards 1-2
"2013 Bali USA GER v4", featuring boards 5-10 and the first minutes of board 11
"2013 Bali USA GER v3", featuring boards 12-16 and the last minutes (roughly the remaining part) of board 11

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-April-09, 07:44

Welcome to the forums :) Yes, it shows a bit that you are a newbie since there is already a longish thread here on the issue. http://www.bridgebas...-wladow-banned/
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-11, 06:55

Ok. It just seemed to me that the posters in that thread had long since moved on from where I was (and am now!), so I decided to start my own.

The general feeling seems to be that W-E were caught as a result of genuine scientific investigation. First, something resembling a scientific (hence testable and refutable) hypothesis was formulated:

"Compton entered [Wold's convention card] markings into an excel sheet and compared opening leads and hand shapes to determine a potential coughing code. (see Exhibit B[*])" (From Compton's 'Formal Complaint', which can be found in 'excel-sheet.pdf' here: http://newinbridge.c...mps-banned-life)

The hypothesis, which might have been nothing but the statement that W-E were using this coughing code, was then tested:

"Based on this code, Compton has further analyzed the 16 hands in FD1S3 [= Finals Day 1, Set 3][...] and FD2S5 (with video) (Exhibit D[**]) [...]. It is also the understanding of USA II that additional evidence of inappropriate communication between Wladow and Elinescu will be provided by the WBF monitor from FD2S5 and FD2S6." (ibid.)

So, supposing there was a hypothesis in place that could conceivably have been refuted during sessions 5-6, what do you think it was, and what is your verdict on it now that you have scrutinized the videos?

*The coughing code described in Exhibit B:

"Coughs at the beginning of auction indicate shortness
i.e 1 cough is clubs, 2 coughs is diamonds etc.
No cough is balanced hand or semi balanced hand
Coughs at the end of auction indicate which suit to lead i.e 1 cough is clubs, 2 coughs, diamonds etc."

**Exhibit D is a video recording of session 5 that used to be available at http://new.livestrea...39416/WBTC-Bali, but the three videos on YouTube, which I believe are all excerpts from that video, seem to be the closest thing to Exhibit D that is still publicly available.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users