BBO Discussion Forums: Drury / Reverse Drury - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Drury / Reverse Drury Another convention for the can?

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-March-27, 12:54

The Rule of Eighteen is a rule employed by the World Bridge Federation to define the boundary between light opening bids and Highly Unusual Methods, known as HUM, in which bad hands are regularly opened.

The Rule of Nineteen is a rule employed by the bridge players in England to satisfy the requirements of the World Bridge Federation to define the boundary between light opening bids and Highly Unusual Methods, known as HUM, in which bad hands are regularly opened.

In the original Precision system all 11 counts were opened. Nowadays I see more and more Precision players opening all 10 counts and then splitting opener’s second bid into two ranges as follows –
1. A minimum opening = 10-12 HCP (3 point range)
2. A maximum opening = 13-15 HCP (3 point range)
Any non-jump or non-reverse second bid by opener would show a minimum. Conversely, any jump or reverse second bid by opener would show a maximum.

Furthermore, having watched plenty of VuGraph live broadcasts I see others opening 10 counts as well.

So the issue here is – if more and more players are opening 8 counts (the rule of 18), 9 counts (the rule of 19), or all 10 counts – then Drury / Reverse Drury has become obsolete and can be confined to the dustbin.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 12:59

No; part (if not most) of the point to Drury is to avoid getting to the 3 level with not enough combined strength to be successful there. If anything, light openings increase the value of using [Reverse] Drury, maybe even after first and second seat openings.

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-March-27, 13:02

View Post32519, on 2014-March-27, 12:54, said:

The Rule of Eighteen is a rule employed by the World Bridge Federation to define the boundary between light opening bids and Highly Unusual Methods, known as HUM, in which bad hands are regularly opened.

The Rule of Nineteen is a rule employed by the bridge players in England to satisfy the requirements of the World Bridge Federation to define the boundary between light opening bids and Highly Unusual Methods, known as HUM, in which bad hands are regularly opened.

In the original Precision system all 11 counts were opened. Nowadays I see more and more Precision players opening all 10 counts and then splitting opener's second bid into two ranges as follows –
Any non-jump or non-reverse second bid by opener would show a minimum. Conversely, any jump or reverse second bid by opener would show a maximum.

Furthermore, having watched plenty of VuGraph live broadcasts I see others opening 10 counts as well.

So the issue here is – if more and more players are opening 8 counts (the rule of 18), 9 counts (the rule of 19), or all 10 counts – then Drury / Reverse Drury has become obsolete and can be confined to the dustbin.

I was reading this post wondering where it was going. And then, all of a sudden, a logical leap that Drury was no longer valid.

If the logic, such as it is, is that a passed hand is now so light that it can't invite game. I don't follow that - seems to me it is just a matter of adjusting your expectations for the Drury bid.

EDIT: I apologize. I should have said "leap of logic" rather than "logical leap." I don't see anything logical about drawing the conclusion stated from the premise.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 13:06

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-March-27, 12:59, said:

No; part (if not most) of the point to Drury is to avoid getting to the 3 level with not enough combined strength to be successful there. If anything, light openings increase the value of using [Reverse] Drury, maybe even after first and second seat openings.

If this approach is adopted it might be wise to play "traditional" (non-fit) Drury, so you can still show a good hand with clubs.

View PostArtK78, on 2014-March-27, 13:02, said:

I was reading this post wondering where it was going. And then, all of a sudden, a logical leap that Drury was no longer valid.

If the logic, such as it is, is that a passed hand is now so light that it can't invite game. I don't follow that - seems to me it is just a matter of adjusting your expectations for the Drury bid.

Also, of course, the "rules" 325 cites apply, by definition, to very shapely hands.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-March-27, 13:41

I open just about any 11 count, and I use Drury. However, I have always thought that Drury is really an artificial constructive raise anyway. If you think along those lines, Drury still makes sense.

For example, if the opening style is just about any 10 and most 9 hands, then 2C would be a hand with, say, 8 or 9 working count. Maybe Qxx xxx Kxx Kxxx? Typically three cards, or two and a promising tenace like Kxx AJ9x xx xxx?

The artificial call allows a delayed minisplinter, as well. If you add in the stiff into either hand above (honors-wise), you get to 11 or 12 playing strength, if not more. 2D by Opener can ask for the stiff if u have any, for example.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#6 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 14:13

I open light and never use Drury. Having a 3 card limit raise as a passed hand and the opp passing is rare very rare. I just go through 1nt sf.

If it matters I play constructive raises(1M=2M) as 8-11 support pts.

btw2 opening light also tends to make your 4th seat openers more sound such as in the rule of 15.

btw3 since I play an artificial 2c and 2d opening, this allows for a natural 2/1 by a passed hand to come up a bit more often. In other words these issues depend on the rest of your system to some degree.

Opening an 8 count is pretty rare

ATxx...AT9xxx..void...xxx(3 first round controls)

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-March-27, 14:56

This is as true as saying "if more and more people are playing mini NT - then transfers have become obsolete and can be confined to the dustbin"... :rolleyes:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 15:27

Both these statements are untrue.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2014-March-27, 16:12

Nowadays I see more and more Precision players opening all 10 counts and then splitting opener’s second bid into two ranges as follows –

Nobody I've seen is doing this. For example 1-1NT-2 is not limited to 12, and nobody is jumping to 3 on a 5-1-3-4 13 count.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#10 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-March-27, 18:36

With several of my partners, we have an agreement to not play Drury; instead we open 1m on any hand that would make us wish we had Drury if partner opened 1M in 3rd seat.

It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a necessary convention. Helpful, in some bidding styles and systems, yes.

#11 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 18:58

View PostSiegmund, on 2014-March-27, 18:36, said:

With several of my partners, we have an agreement to not play Drury; instead we open 1m on any hand that would make us wish we had Drury if partner opened 1M in 3rd seat.

Would you really open KQx ATxx Jxxx xx with 1D? Or KJxx x KQxxx xxx? Both of those look like perfectly good invitations after partner opens 1S, but not really opening bids in 1st/2nd seats. If you really follow this rule your opening bids are going to be light enough that you're playing a light opening bid system, where the considerations are much different.

In a couple of my recent partnerships we liked the Drury concept enough that we have adopted a version of it even over 1st/2nd seat openings. The ability to invite and remain at the 2-level is enough of a clear win that we restructed much of our system around it.

The only time I have scrapped Drury in a partnership was when we were playing a 10-12 NT. That means you open most of the hands you would want to invite on (like my first example), so its frequency is much lower. The hands you do want to invite with (such as my second example) are distributional, so getting to the 3-level has a second way to win, by potentially preempting the opposition.

#12 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-March-27, 20:41

I agree I would not open either one of these but then neither of these would be a 3 card limit raise either.

as I mentioned, you don't really need to play drury if you open light.
1) constructive raise or if you insist this is better( 8LTC) then try 1nt sf.
2) typical 4 card limit raise.

Of course in both cases we make the big assumption that the opp are silent but they seldom are when you open light.

#13 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-March-27, 23:19

True to form, you guys have all missed the point. Douglas Drury died in 1967. In his era players were opening 13 counts. The game is becoming more and more aggressive. Today the side who opens the bidding gets in the first blow, taking away bidding space from the opponents at the same time. In todays game, Drury has become obsolete.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-28, 00:03

View Post32519, on 2014-March-27, 23:19, said:

True to form, you guys have all missed the point. Douglas Drury died in 1967. In his era players were opening 13 counts. The game is becoming more and more aggressive. Today the side who opens the bidding gets in the first blow, taking away bidding space from the opponents at the same time. In todays game, Drury has become obsolete.

Well, several points have definitely been missed by someone, that is for sure.

Your arguments seem to be in support of the premise that Drury should be played after openings in all positions. I have never known that anyone does this, but people I know may play this way and it has just never come up against me. I am sure it is standard practice among people who open as light as you are saying.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-28, 01:30

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-28, 00:03, said:

Well, several points have definitely been missed by someone, that is for sure.

Your arguments seem to be in support of the premise that Drury should be played after openings in all positions. I have never known that anyone does this, but people I know may play this way and it has just never come up against me. I am sure it is standard practice among people who open as light as you are saying.

I've done that in a strong club system, but it is midchart in the ACBL which is a PITA as you can't use it in many events.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-28, 02:01

Drury is even better for lights openers who can't have a natural 2/1 as a passed hand
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-March-28, 06:12

View PostSiegmund, on 2014-March-27, 18:36, said:

It is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a necessary convention. Helpful, in some bidding styles and systems, yes.

This doesn't make sense. if your opening on hands where you wish you were playing Drury doesn't it make sense to play Drury?

Also, I don't understand people's logic that because people are opening lighter Drury obsolete. It's still better to play at the 2-level than the 3-level. Responder can have a hand not good enough to open light but because of partner's opening has a fit so worth some sort of constructibe or INV raise.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-28, 06:18

Well if a pass in first/second seat denies 9 points with a 3-card in a major then obviously the need to play Drury is not so great. But then again, the need for a a natural 2 response won't be great either. I think all hands with which you would wish that you were not playing Drury would have opened either 3 or 1 as well.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-28, 07:21

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-March-28, 06:12, said:

This doesn't make sense. if your opening on hands where you wish you were playing Drury doesn't it make sense to play Drury?

To put it more simply than Helene did, what is the point of using Drury when you have already opened?

Also, I don't understand people's logic that because £13 [[/people are opening lighter Drury obsolete.

Well. person's logic. No one understands it.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-28, 07:25

View PostMbodell, on 2014-March-28, 01:30, said:

I've done that in a strong club system, but it is midchart in the ACBL which is a PITA as you can't use it in many events.

It sounds as if Drury was allowed because of custom and practice, not because it matched the philosophy behind the systems policy, so they compromised. It's kind of like the inclusion of the Multi at EBU Level 2; you have to have a strong option and the only Multi-style bid you can play is 2.

The difference is that we don't normally have to play at Level 2.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users