• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SB at the helm a BIT much

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-27, 10:12

Opening lead K; Table result EW-100

Both defenders at this local club were strong players, but still were unable to play in perfect tempo at a critical time in the above deal, and East, who looks and behaves like SB, was quick to pounce. South led the king of hearts against the pushy game, and declarer ducked, North playing the jack, won the next heart and ruffed a heart high before drawing trumps in two rounds, on which South discarded the seven of diamonds. Declarer led the nine of diamonds, and, after a moment's thought, South went in with the ace, worried that East might have Kx Kxxxx in the minors, when playing low would be fatal. North played the three of diamonds, also after a moment's thought, worried that the jack of diamonds might cost or say "don't play a club". South cashed the ace of clubs and continued with another club when North encouraged with the eight and declarer was one off. "Do you agree there was a BIT by both North and South on the first round of diamonds?" asked SB. Both agreed there had been a slight tempo variation. "Director", bellowed SB. When he arrived SB continued. "When North played the three of diamonds with a slight BIT on the first round of the suit, South had UI. NS were playing standard count, and therefore South should have played his partner for Jxx in the suit, in which case it would cost him nothing to exit with a diamond. When North broke tempo, ever so slightly it must be admitted, South guessed that he had J3 and did not want to play the jack. With JT3, North would have played the 3 more quickly. It was an LA for South to exit with a diamond, playing me for AKQx xx Kx Kxxxx, when the contract would have made."

How do you rule?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-28, 07:41

I determine what NS's carding methods are, and also what South thought their carding methods were in this situation.

If South thought they played standard count in this situation, I agree with SB, and adjust to 4S=.

If South thought they played suit preference in this situation, I don't adjust the score.

If they play both count and suit preference and South thought that it was unclear what they do in this situation, I don't adjust the score. North's tempo break simply means that he doesn't know what their signals are, a fact which was already known to South.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-March-28, 11:48

View Postgnasher, on 2014-March-28, 07:41, said:

I determine what NS's carding methods are, and also what South thought their carding methods were in this situation.

If South thought they played standard count in this situation, I agree with SB, and adjust to 4S=.

If South thought they played suit preference in this situation, I don't adjust the score.

If they play both count and suit preference and South thought that it was unclear what they do in this situation, I don't adjust the score. North's tempo break simply means that he doesn't know what their signals are, a fact which was already known to South.

You would find, I suspect, that this situation was undiscussed. I would still adjust. There is UI from the speed of the play, and a second diamond is an LA, and a club is demonstrably suggested. The only requirements.

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-March-28, 13:13

View Postlamford, on 2014-March-28, 11:48, said:

You would find, I suspect, that this situation was undiscussed. I would still adjust. There is UI from the speed of the play, and a second diamond is an LA, and a club is demonstrably suggested. The only requirements.

If it is undiscussed does the three really suggest a club over a diamond? Aren't there situations where a slow three might be from J3, JT3 and maybe even discomfort at playing the 3 from KT3 or KJ3 if the fear is that the three is suit preference. As far as I can see only from 3 singleton and from K3 would there be no problem in selecting a card in this 'undiscussed' and possibly ambiguous situation.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#5 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-March-28, 15:29

View Postlamford, on 2014-March-28, 11:48, said:

South doesn't seem to have been given the opportunity to comment. When asked, he said "my partner played the 2 and 4 of hearts on the second and third round, and played 3 then 8 of spades. The heart plays were strong suit preference for clubs. The spade play was either SP for clubs or neutral. Partner has clearly shown a top club honour, so I had no LA to playing a club at this point. I thought briefly on the diamond only to check that it didn't make any difference what I did."

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2014-March-28, 19:16

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2014-March-28, 15:29, said:

South doesn't seem to have been given the opportunity to comment. When asked, he said "my partner played the 2 and 4 of hearts on the second and third round, and played 3 then 8 of spades. The heart plays were strong suit preference for clubs. The spade play was either SP for clubs or neutral. Partner has clearly shown a top club honour, so I had no LA to playing a club at this point. I thought briefly on the diamond only to check that it didn't make any difference what I did."

South continued at trick two with the queen of hearts, which looks normal, and North did play the two on that, but the ten of hearts on the third round. On the spades, he did play 3 8. One should poll some peers and let them decide whether this is enough to distinguish xx JTxxx Jx Kxxx and xx JTxxx JTx QJx, the two relevant holdings. If something like 80% of them draw the same inference as you probably correctly do, and 90% of them now play the ace of clubs, then I would agree that there is no LA to playing a club at the crucial point.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users