BBO Discussion Forums: When can Benji Acol 2C/2D be passed below game? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

When can Benji Acol 2C/2D be passed below game?

#21 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-15, 05:58

1eyedjack, on 2014-April-13, 05:51, said:

But with an established partnership with well honed agreements I would expect the relative merits of a weak 2D and 2D to show a strong opener in one unspecified suit to be finely balanced.

Yes, I think it makes a lot of sense to put different shapes into the 2 and 2 openings. With Shogi I play something very similar to IMP-25 (the version of Dutch Doubleton which the IMP magazine tries to establish as a standard):
-2 covers a.o.t. hands with clubs, including M- twosuiters
-2 covers a.o.t. hands with diamonds, including M- twosuiters

Now the 3 rebid shows a minor suit one-suiter, while the 3 rebid shows a 6-4 (maybe some exceptional 5-4s as well) m-M two-suiters, and partner can ask for the major by bidding 3.

That way, you don't get to open any two-suited or minor-suited hands below GF strength at the 2-level. So partner needs to respond a bit lighter to your 1-level openings. This may cause a bit of problems playing Acol where
1M-1NT
2NT*
is 17-18 while 3NT would be 19. So you don't really want partner to hold a random 5-count. So maybe you should just accept that you occasionally will be making 1M with four overtricks. I think it's worth it. Especially if I open 2m and opps have bid at the 4-level before my next turn. Now I am more concerned about partner knowing something about my shape than whether I have a 4-loser or a 3-loser hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-15, 18:26

fromageGB, on 2014-April-15, 05:33, said:

Your idea of a "contract uncertainty" split between two strong bids may be a better alternative than Benji, but then there are many contenders for the spare bid in a regular partnership if you have just one strong suit opening.

Quite. 1eyedjack seems very lucky; the rest of us need the space to bid the crap we are usually dealt.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-15, 22:27

Vampyr, on 2014-April-15, 18:26, said:

the rest of us need the space to bid the crap we are usually dealt.

And present company excepted , the vast majority of the rest use that extra space to show what? A weak 2 in D. Sheesh! Impressive.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#24 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-16, 04:26

Hey, let's not forget this is the N&B forum, and a weak 2 in diamonds is a simple and useful tool to have. It is a good default agreement.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users