• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ten most common infractions

#1 User is offline   swanway 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-27, 01:43

EBU
There are a number of members in our club who have no desire to become Directors. However, they have shown an interest in learning more about the 10 most common infractions that occur in the club. I don't know why ten was the figure they decided on!

I have made a list below of the ten laws that I think are the most common infractions. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments regarding this list.

1. Revoke
2. Opening lead out of turn
3. Other leads out of turn
4. Call out of rotation
5. Unauthorised information
6. Insufficient bid
7. Minor and Major cards
8. When is a card played
9. Missing cards
10. Claims

I am sure there are some obvious ones that I have missed, that is why I need your help

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-March-27, 02:21

Although they do not want to be directors are they interested in these situations as directors or as players?

For those interested in understanding directing, I would add movements at the top and combine unauthorised information, misinformation and claims in to one item "gathering the facts for a UI/MI/claim ruling".

In priniciple, the rest are all read-from-the-book rulings but the problem with reading from the book is starting at the right place. There are important bits in earlier laws that can easily get overlooked.

For revokes you have to start at Law 60 and having applied Law 62/63/64 you may then need Law 50 on penalty cards.

For leads out of turn you have to understand what is going in advance of giving the ruling, as there are several apparently unrelated laws to apply.

For calls out of rotation, you must make sure you read/apply/be aware of Law 28 and 29 before applying Law 30/31/32.

The EBU or local directors can arrange seminars/courses on these topics - without it being a formal club TD course.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 03:55

Exposed cards
Correcting "pulled the wrong card out the bidding box" scenarios

are 2 commonish ones I can think of.

#4 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-27, 04:39

Slow play
Rudeness

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-27, 05:18

Review of a trick that has aleady been done is number one with a big advantage. Insufficent bids would be the most useful for players around here. Also important is change of thoughts (misscalling a card or playing a card you didn't want to) but I would believe this one doesn't hold in EBU.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-27, 05:51

1 Failure to bring system cards - almost universal.
2 Failure to count cards before playing - - two or three times per board.
3 Inspecting cards already quited - about once per board.
4 Failure to shuffle after play - similar.
5 postmortemning or other chitchat during the bidding and play - similar.
6 Change of mind after a bidding card has been taken out of the bidding box - similar.
7 Picking up bidding cards before the opening lead has been faced - about once every two or three boards.
8 Asking questions out of turn - similar.
9 Dummy playing cards on own initiative - similar
10 Announcing calls that should have been alerted - about once every five or six boards.
11 Playing on after a disputed claim - maybe once per night per table.
12 Failure by the declaring party to correct MI before the opening lead - similar.

? Use of UI - difficult to assess.

MI must logically be more common than (12) but not that common I think.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-27, 06:02

Common infractions are incomplete disclosure, mannerisms, tempo-changes. and illegal card-designations,

#8 User is offline   pwg7 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-28, 03:50

One attempt at this is: "The Director is Called" by John McIlwrath
http://www.bridgesho...mcilrath-s.html

#9 User is offline   McBruce 

• NOS (usually)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-28, 15:19

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-27, 05:51, said:

4 Failure to shuffle after play - similar.

I should like to add a sub-item:

4a) Shuffling own cards several dozen times or more, while TD is waiting to move board to next or sharing table... :)
ACBL TD--got my start in 2002 directing games at BBO!
Please come back to the live game; I directed enough online during COVID for several lifetimes.
Bruce McIntyre, Yamaha WX5 Roland AE-10G AKAI EWI SOLO virtuoso-in-training

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-28, 15:36

Re-arranging your cards to separate like-colored suits after you become void in the suit that had been separating them.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-28, 19:16

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-27, 05:18, said:

Also important is change of thoughts (misscalling a card or playing a card you didn't want to) but I would believe this one doesn't hold in EBU.

What do you mean? In the EBU you might miscall a card, but I thought that this was the case everywhere. I think it is in the Laws, but as I don't have my hard copy with me and couldn't find it. On the other hand, a played card is a played card. This has nothing to do with the EBU; it is L45C.

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-March-28, 15:36, said:

Re-arranging your cards to separate like-colored suits after you become void in the suit that had been separating them.

If I saw someone doing this I would be watching his partner's play very closely.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-March-28, 21:41

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-28, 19:16, said:

If I saw someone doing this I would be watching his partner's play very closely.

I usually turn to the partner and ask "does that mean [s]he doesn't have any more of that suit?"

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-29, 09:34

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-27, 05:51, said:

7 Picking up bidding cards before the opening lead has been faced - about once every two or three boards.

This is not an infraction in ACBL territory, it's the normal procedure to pick up bidding cards as soon as the auction ends. The common related infraction is for the player in the pass-out seat to pick up their cards as an indication that they're passing, rather than placing a Pass card on the table first. Even worse is when other players prior to the one in the pass-out seat pick up their cards, on the assumption that everyone else is going to pass.

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-29, 11:48

View Postbarmar, on 2014-March-29, 09:34, said:

This is not an infraction in ACBL territory, it's the normal procedure to pick up bidding cards as soon as the auction ends.

Ah, so you missed the first line in the OP. Easily done.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-29, 21:38

View Postbarmar, on 2014-March-29, 09:34, said:

This is not an infraction in ACBL territory, it's the normal procedure to pick up bidding cards as soon as the auction ends. The common related infraction is for the player in the pass-out seat to pick up their cards as an indication that they're passing, rather than placing a Pass card on the table first. Even worse is when other players prior to the one in the pass-out seat pick up their cards, on the assumption that everyone else is going to pass.

For a while, I would call people on this, they'd put their bidding cards back, and when it came to me, I'd pass. Then they'd pick 'em up again. Usually they'd laugh about it. What they didn't do is learn not to pick up the damn cards early. Eventually I gave up.

I wish the ACBL had the "don't pick them up until the lead is faced" reg. Better yet, leave 'em out until everyone has had their opportunity to ask for a review - so until third hand plays to the first trick.

All that said, the OP did say "EBU". B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-30, 03:35

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-29, 21:38, said:

I wish the ACBL had the "don't pick them up until the lead is faced" reg. Better yet, leave 'em out until everyone has had their opportunity to ask for a review - so until third hand plays to the first trick.

That is a little bit difficult. The dummy needs to be on the table, on top of the bidding cards.

But there is a good alternative:
  • The cards stay on the table.
  • Declarer's LHO asks his questions.
  • LHO makes the lead face down.
  • RHO asks his questions.*
  • When RHO has all his answers, LHO faces the lead, the bidding cards are taken away and dummy is tabled.

Rik

*As long as RHO's questions don't reveal any misinformation (MI) in the answers to LHO's questions (or questions during the auction), LHO is stuck to his choice of lead and cannot change it. Obviously, when there was MI, the TD applies the Laws and LHO might be allowed to change his lead (and the last pass may be changed to reopen the auction if the MI occured during the auction).
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-30, 03:41

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-30, 03:35, said:

That is a little bit difficult. The dummy needs to be on the table, on top of the bidding cards.

I guess it depends on the size of the table. If there is room behind dummy to put the quitted tricks, then there is room for the bidding cards.

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-30, 10:06

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-30, 03:41, said:

I guess it depends on the size of the table. If there is room behind dummy to put the quitted tricks, then there is room for the bidding cards.

^This.

It doesn't matter though. The ACBL isn't going to change things in this regard any time soon.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#19 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-March-30, 12:56

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-30, 03:35, said:

But there is a good alternative:
  • The cards stay on the table.
  • Declarer's LHO asks his questions.
  • LHO makes the lead face down.
  • RHO asks his questions.*
  • When RHO has all his answers, LHO faces the lead, the bidding cards are taken away and dummy is tabled.

Rik

Since Law 41B stipulates that Declarer's RHO may ask for a review of the bidding until he has played a card to the first trick, would it make sense to leave the bidding cards out until that play is made?

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-30, 13:09

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-March-30, 12:56, said:

Since Law 41B stipulates that Declarer's RHO may ask for a review of the bidding until he has played a card to the first trick, would it make sense to leave the bidding cards out until that play is made?

That was my suggestion, to which Rik objects. :ph34r:
--------------------

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users