• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ten most common infractions

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-30, 13:44

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-March-30, 12:56, said:

Since Law 41B stipulates that Declarer's RHO may ask for a review of the bidding until he has played a card to the first trick, would it make sense to leave the bidding cards out until that play is made?

If you would have copied my whole post, including the first sentence, instead of 90% of it, you would have understood why, IMO, this would not make sense for simple, practical reasons.

The dummy has in front of him/her:
  • The opponents' CC (A4: 29 x 21 cm or A5 (21 x 14.5 cm)
  • His bidding cards (about 40 x 12 cm)
  • The cards from the dummy, they are supposed to be placed at the very same place where the bidding cards are normally placed. (about 35 x 35 cm, depending on distribution)
  • The play of the card in trick one

Then I am not talking about private scorecards, bidding boxes, bridgemates, pens, glasses (full, empty or reading), etc..

I don't know how large your tables are, but where I play it is usually hard enough to put down the dummy without having the bidding cards still lying there.

And fortunately, it is not really necessary either to leave the bidding cards out during the play. The key thing is that they are available during the entire clarification period, including the time that 3rd hand normally has for asking questions (after the faced down opening lead).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-30, 14:04

Oh I forgot a very important one: as a defender, holding a card ready to play before it is your turn, thereby telling everyone that "my choice won't be affected by what is played from dummy, for example because I have a singleton".
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-30, 22:59

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-30, 14:04, said:

Oh I forgot a very important one: as a defender, holding a card ready to play before it is your turn, thereby telling everyone that "my choice won't be affected by what is played from dummy, for example because I have a singleton".

I don't normally do this, but I did it a few days ago and dummy gave me a stern look. My excuse was that dummy had a singleton in the suit that was led.

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-31, 06:31

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-30, 13:09, said:

That was my suggestion, to which Rik objects. :ph34r:

To be fair, the Netherlands is a very small country, so they probably have room only for tables that are about 2' x 2'.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-31, 08:29

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-31, 06:31, said:

To be fair, the Netherlands is a very small country, so they probably have room only for tables that are about 2' x 2'.

That is why Obama thought the NSS meeting in The Hague was very "gezellig".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#26 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2014-March-31, 08:36

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-31, 08:29, said:

That is why Obama thought the NSS meeting in The Hague was very "gezellig".

Rik

Foreigners, sigh. They visit Madurodam and then they think the whole country is like that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#27 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-31, 10:12

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-31, 08:36, said:

Foreigners, sigh. They visit Madurodam and then they think the whole country is like that.

Have you ever seen that commercial for this Dutch brand of hamburgers on Dutch TV?

It roughly goes like this:

A typical American family (T-shirt, shorts, tennis socks, sneakers, camera) are the guests of a Dutch family. The Dutch family takes them around the tourist sites.

They drive across the Afsluitdijk (a 20 mile long sea dam, that made it possible to reclaim land) and the American father of the family comments: "In America, our dams are muuuuch higher!"

They are shown the Euromast (something like the Seattle Space Needle) in Rotterdam. American father: "In America, our skyscrapers are muuuuuch taller!"

They continue to the Zeeland Bridge, the longest bridge in the Netherlands. American father: "In America, our bridges are muuuuuch longer!"

At the end of the day, after they get home, they are grilling burgers in the typical small Dutch backyard. The American father is taliking loudly, until he is offered a nice Dutch plate with the star of the commercial: this big Dutch hamburger. The guy is quietly looking at this, and looking again, and looking once more, but he can't find anything to say until he finally finds the solution: "In America, our plates are muuuuuch bigger!"

Rik

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-31, 10:33

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-31, 06:31, said:

:lol: :lol:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-March-31, 10:38

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-31, 10:12, said:

At the end of the day, after they get home, they are grilling burgers in the typical small Dutch backyard. The American father is taliking loudly, until he is offered a nice Dutch plate with the star of the commercial: this big Dutch hamburger. The guy is quietly looking at this, and looking again, and looking once more, but he can't find anything to say until he finally finds the solution: "In America, our plates are muuuuuch bigger!"

:D

I heard something similar years ago: a Texan is bragging about how everything is big in Texas. An Alaskan hearing this eventually says "if you don't stop bragging, we're gonna cut Alaska in half and make Texas the third biggest state!" B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users