• You cannot reply to this topic

Portland Pairs 2 Key card mix-up

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-25, 08:03

1 is 11-15 pts, no five-card major, could have as few as no diamonds
3NT was intended as "to play", but interpreted by North as RKCB
4 was intended to show two key cards without Q, interpreted by South as natural (6-5 minimum)
4NT was intended as RKCB for hearts, interpreted by North as asking for kings
5 was intended to show no kings, interpreted by South as showing no key cards
5 and 6 were to play.

The confusion came to light when EW asked about the bidding before the opening lead. It was clear now that NS had spent the auction at cross purposes.

Result: 6(N)=, NS+1370

EW called me at the end of play, concerned that unauthorized information could have affected the auction. I asked NS about their bidding methods. They often use 3NT as RKCB over an opening major suit bid, or when a major suit has been agreed, but never over a minor. They don't have any other common alertable uses for 3NT in uncontested auctions.

How do you rule?

#2 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 08:22

So South has UI (from the alert), North doesn't as far as I can see.

I don't think 4NT is suggested over any LA. 5 looks a bit odd (surely this asks about the Q), but even if we rule that South should have bid 5 they will reach the same final contract. So I don't think there is any damage.

#3 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 10:43

View PostVixTD, on 2014-March-25, 08:03, said:

4 was intended to show two key cards without Q, interpreted by South as natural (6-5 minimum)
5 and 6 were to play.

The confusion came to light when EW asked about the bidding before the opening lead. It was clear now that NS had spent the auction at cross purposes.

EW called me at the end of play, concerned that unauthorized information could have affected the auction. I asked NS about their bidding methods. They often use 3NT as RKCB over an opening major suit bid, or when a major suit has been agreed, but never over a minor. They don't have any other common alertable uses for 3NT in uncontested auctions.

How do you rule?

Confused

Seriously: Why did North alert 3NT and bid 4 when they never use 3NT as RKCB over a minor? ("And they have no other alertable uses for 3NT"?) I feel like he in reality is alerting South that he answers to 3NT as RKCB?

I can't manage to alalyze the rest of the auction now, but my strong temptation is to adjust the result to 3NT with as many tricks as is reasonable (11 or 12?)

#4 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 11:04

View Postpran, on 2014-March-25, 10:43, said:

my strong temptation is to adjust the result to 3NT with as many tricks as is reasonable (11 or 12?)

I don't see how you can justify this when north had no UI so was entitled to bid whatever he wanted to.

As to why he decided to treat 3N as RKCB despite not having any such agreement over a minor, perhaps it was because he couldn't think what else 3N could be intended to mean? (Not strictly relevant, but the OP made me realise that I don't think I have any real agreement about what 3N means in response to a Precision 1 - we just don't use the bid in practice.)

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 11:15

If we take South at his word (reasonable here to do so), he ignored the alert explanation. No use of UI.

North was bonkers at every turn, not just the mistake of thinking 3N was RKC, but North had no UI.

Result stands, IMO.

Why was North bonkers? Because, after his "answer" of keys for Diamonds, any sensible set of continuations would not include 4NT or 5D as further inquiries.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-25, 12:10

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-March-25, 11:04, said:

As to why he decided to treat 3N as RKCB despite not having any such agreement over a minor

I think it is a pretty good agreement; I am inclined to think that it is more useful than over a major. Not that this is really relevant. Just saying.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-25, 13:13

Seriously: Why did North alert 3NT and bid 4 when they never use 3NT as RKCB over a minor? ("And they have no other alertable uses for 3NT"?) I feel like he in reality is alerting South that he answers to 3NT as RKCB

Seriously: Why would North contemplate bidding 4H over 3N UNLESS it was because he had interpreted 3N as RKCB
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-25, 13:35

Seriously: Why did North alert 3NT and bid 4 when they never use 3NT as RKCB over a minor? ("And they have no other alertable uses for 3NT"?) I feel like he in reality is alerting South that he answers to 3NT as RKCB?

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-March-25, 13:13, said:

Seriously: Why would North contemplate bidding 4H over 3N UNLESS it was because he had interpreted 3N as RKCB

And with his alert of 3NT making quite sure that South should understand his 4 bid as a response to RKCB, a convention they according to their own statements never used in this position?

South intended 3NT for play and was alerted by North that North understood it differently.

Question: Was the continued calls by North and South compatible with their alleged partnership understanding?

I cannot help smelling a rat here but will not elaborate further because I find that impossible without slandering someone.

#9 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2014-March-25, 13:39

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-March-25, 11:04, said:

I don't see how you can justify this when north had no UI so was entitled to bid whatever he wanted to.

As to why he decided to treat 3N as RKCB despite not having any such agreement over a minor, perhaps it was because he couldn't think what else 3N could be intended to mean? (Not strictly relevant, but the OP made me realise that I don't think I have any real agreement about what 3N means in response to a Precision 1 - we just don't use the bid in practice.)

Why not take South's word for it that it was for play? Wouldn't that be quite sensible?

#10 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 14:39

<snip>

Do they see no contradiction?

This is one of my pet peeves - players who say that a minor opening denies a five-card major when it's not true.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-25, 19:17

5 and 6 were to play.
How do you rule?
North wasn't in receipt of UI (although he may have suspected a wheel had come off and punted 6 to try to beat sensible biddiers who subsided in 3NT). Hence, IMO, the director should rule result stands.

View Postgordontd, on 2014-March-25, 14:39, said:

This is one of my pet peeves - players who say that a minor opening denies a five-card major when it's not true.
Agree that NS understandings and explanations seem weird

What does North open with A x x x x x x A K Q J T x - (OK: I'm told Steve Robinson recomends 1 in Washington Standard)
It can't be sensible for South's 3N to be RKC for , when North can have a void.

#12 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-25, 19:42

View Postgordontd, on 2014-March-25, 14:39, said:

I don't have a problem with players who say that and perchance partner holds a 5-6 hand. Seems like an obvious exception which discloser is not allowing for until it pops up later.

It simply means (to me) that they are not playing a canape system and there are limits to the randomness of the 1D opening bid. It also provides inferences about their weak or strong NT hands and whether a 1H opening might have been made with a 5-3-3-2 hand in one of their NT ranges.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#13 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 22:27

"Denies a five card major" is pretty much absolute. "Tends to deny a five card major" leaves a little wiggle room.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-25, 23:18

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-March-25, 22:27, said:

"Denies a five card major" is pretty much absolute. "Tends to deny a five card major" leaves a little wiggle room.

I agree it is lazy, but is there any scope for damage? By the time you are on lead any MI will have been corrected, should opener have a 5 card major. So the issue revolves around whether the distinction between "denies" and "tends to deny" is ever going to have a practical effect on the auction. I suppose it might, but can’t see it.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#15 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-25, 23:48

Probably not, but I was really only suggesting that using "tends to" rather than the absolute in one's explanations might lessen some of the opponents' angst. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#16 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-March-26, 01:37

View Postpran, on 2014-March-25, 13:35, said:

And with his alert of 3NT making quite sure that South should understand his 4 bid as a response to RKCB, a convention they according to their own statements never used in this position?

South intended 3NT for play and was alerted by North that North understood it differently.

Question: Was the continued calls by North and South compatible with their alleged partnership understanding?

I cannot help smelling a rat here but will not elaborate further because I find that impossible without slandering someone.

I think you are being a little unfair here. It seems that North has had a 'senior moment' but we are consistently told on these forums that you should alert a call when you think it is alertable or are going to interpret as alertable. The concept of alerting to wake partner up is always said to be unimportant compared to the potential misinformation for the opponents.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#17 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 02:30

View Postcampboy, on 2014-March-25, 08:22, said:

So South has UI (from the alert), North doesn't as far as I can see.

I don't think 4NT is suggested over any LA. 5 looks a bit odd (surely this asks about the Q), but even if we rule that South should have bid 5 they will reach the same final contract. So I don't think there is any damage.

Why is 5 odd? If 5 shows 0 or 3 KC for hearts, doesn't this have to be 3KC to give North an opening bid with 5/6? Now South wants to be in a grand slam opposite the Q does he not?

#18 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 02:54

Well, 5 is inconsistent with South's claimed interpretation of 5 as showing none. I didn't stop to think about whether that interpretation actually made sense :unsure:

#19 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 06:23

View Postpran, on 2014-March-25, 13:39, said:

Why not take South's word for it that it was for play? Wouldn't that be quite sensible?

Sure, I'm happy to do that.

But how is that relevant to North's decision to bid on over 3N? Surely you can't be suggesting that he should take South's word for what 3N shows (even supposing he happens to have heard South's word at the point at which he has to make a decision)?

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 06:40

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-March-25, 19:42, said:

I don't have a problem with players who say that and perchance partner holds a 5-6 hand. Seems like an obvious exception which discloser is not allowing for until it pops up later.

It simply means (to me) that they are not playing a canape system and there are limits to the randomness of the 1D opening bid. It also provides inferences about their weak or strong NT hands and whether a 1H opening might have been made with a 5-3-3-2 hand in one of their NT ranges.

I suppose the reason it irritates me is that if focuses our minds on something that is not only incorrect but also doesn't help us get a feel for what the bid really shows. I think they should say something like "diamonds, or balanced with at least 2 diamonds, or three-suited with short diamonds". I think it's better to be told what a bid shows than what it denies.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users