• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Go Away Pre-Empts

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-25, 15:17

I know I will hear the frequency of hands are low which is suitable for 4 NT rkcb. I wonder how frequent is to use 4 NT as take out for minors (combined with 4 NT and then 5 or cue and whatever it is out there )

I think a well oiled pdship could use it for take out to the optimum level. As far as i know Meckwell plays this rkcb, in fact they play a lot of 4 NT bids rkcb in competition and w/o competition. I know more than just 1 top pairs who plays it rkcb. . I also watch BBO vugraphs, top events, and yet to counter a 4 NT bid as sophisticated and detailed as in BBF. All i see mostly is rkcb unless they have ability to ask rkcb by using other tools such as kick back - minorwood or w/e.

Perhaps we should not only focus on the frequency only. How about the efficiency of a bid ? I mean if you have a bid which is less frequent but what it asks and what it learns is crystal clear information, while we have an alternative use of the same bid which is more frequent (?) but not magically lands you on correct contract, if there is any at 5 level. Basically one of them (kinda )guarantees a result but less frequent, while other one does not but more frequent.

No need to mention the fact that, choosing 4 NT as rkcb you can still show/imply other suits via DBL, but by choosing other one you totally disable yourself from learning keycards. I think using double as take out and totally disabling myself from making direct penalty doubles is better than disabling myself from asking rkcb. Over heavy preempts when we are about to bid at 5 level, slam is in picture most of the time.

Now this is the 3rd time i am mentioning same thing, when you adobt a system where your 4 NT or 5 level bids are sophisticated and complex, you will need time to figure to remember the agreement, time to decide whether you should dbl them and if not which bid is suitable in a timely manner, or all these bids such as 4 NT or 5x or DBL, if made with a hesitation, will open a wide door for complaints from opponents. Because they will not pop up instantly in your memory like a stayman or jacoby transfer. All these positions we have after a heavy preempt or even after a mod preempt are kinda unique positions/auctions. A little detail in the auction may need to be analysed differently in each auction and may require a different approach. You will need time to figure this out and it will almost always come with the hesitation factor. (or maybe my memory sucks and i am getting old Posted Image)

So i am still having hard time to decide which is better tbh. (i meant which is better at the table, obviously 4 NT for other purposes than rkcb is better in forum bridge)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-25, 15:18

deleted double post
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   Trump Echo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-25, 16:05

Leave it to my partner.

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-25, 17:00

View PostTrump Echo, on 2014-March-25, 16:05, said:

Leave it to my partner.

If you are leaving this to pd to decide, i feel bad, very bad for your pd. (I assume you meant to invite him via 5 because you said you will leave it to him)

I have seen a lot of under bidding in BBF, but this is a new dimension of under bidding, really. I mean the poor guy will have to decide correctly AKxxx xx KJx xxx is good for slam, when some people would not even open this hand. I would be scared to invite pd to any slam in the future if he accepts this one.

Otoh it is not really hard to construct hands where 6 is better or at least avoids a guess in spades, but i would not worry about these hands as much as worrying about hands i may miss grandslam.

#25 User is offline   jolexa 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-25, 18:36

I would bid 4NT (RKCB) based off partners opener and see what "keycards" he has. That will determine where we end up.

#26 User is offline   agonm 

• Pip

Posted 2014-March-25, 21:30

View Posteagles123, on 2014-March-24, 14:30, said:

system = 4 card majors, weak NT

what's the bid :)

Spoiler

will post full hand later

Thanks,

Eagles

#27 User is offline   agonm 

• Pip

Posted 2014-March-25, 21:36

maybe too simple :( but my bid wld be 5!h telling P I'd be happy to play 5!s but dont have the hand where RKC wld work. Hope P will conclude it depends on !s values and bid accordonly

#28 User is offline   agonm 

• Pip

Posted 2014-March-25, 21:46

5 heart

#29 User is offline   agonm 

• Pip

Posted 2014-March-25, 21:48

mb too easy but think this wld show P i have a hand willing to play 5 spades and dont have a hand where RKC wld work Hope P finds out it depends on Spades holding and bid accordonly

#30 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-26, 02:51

View Postagonm, on 2014-March-25, 21:48, said:

mb too easy but think this wld show P i have a hand willing to play 5 spades and dont have a hand where RKC wld work Hope P finds out it depends on Spades holding and bid accordonly

From your response i am confused what you meant by RKC. Did you mean RKCB ? If you did why do you think it would not work ? Why do you want your pd to find out your problem is about spade holdings when RKCB is almost perfectly designed for that ?

Everyone in this forum would use RKCB if they believed that is what 4 NT would be. Some people are using a bid other than 4 NT because they believe or prefer to play 4 NT for other purposes. Not because they believe rkcb will not work.

#31 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2014-March-26, 13:27

I thought this thread was going to be about some new techniques in preemptive bidding. A title of "Go Away, Pre-Empts" would have clued me in to the real
content!

Grand Slam Force is perfect... except that it traditionally asks partner to bid seven with two of the top three trump honors. Nothing like being in 7S missing the ace. Perhaps you're in a partnership that has ways to differentiate between 2/3 and 3/3 -- if so, you may be golden (until opp gets wind and bid 6H over 5NT...).
Liberty breeds responsibility

#32 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 13:33

View PostSelfGovern, on 2014-March-26, 13:27, said:

I thought this thread was going to be about some new techniques in preemptive bidding. A title of "Go Away, Pre-Empts" would have clued me in to the real
content!

Grand Slam Force is perfect... except that it traditionally asks partner to bid seven with two of the top three trump honors. Nothing like being in 7S missing the ace. Perhaps you're in a partnership that has ways to differentiate between 2/3 and 3/3 -- if so, you may be golden (until opp gets wind and bid 6H over 5NT...).

Doesn't 5 show a hand that is trump deficient for GSF, typically Jxxx ish in this type of auction plus the nuts outside.

#33 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-26, 15:21

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-March-26, 13:33, said:

Doesn't 5 show a hand that is trump deficient for GSF, typically Jxxx ish in this type of auction plus the nuts outside.

It does, if two people think it does and they are playing together. Maybe someone thinks It just shows two heart losers and the nuts outside. Anyway, I will worry about it when 4NT isn't RKC any more, and I have to show something rather than ask.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#34 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-March-26, 15:25

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-March-26, 15:21, said:

It does, if two people think it does and they are playing together. Maybe someone thinks It just shows two heart losers and the nuts outside. Anyway, I will worry about it when 4NT isn't RKC any more, and I have to show something rather than ask.

Yeah, agreed, what 4N/5/5 mean is very much a matter for partnership agreement (and whether 5m is a cue or a suit)

#35 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-March-26, 15:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-March-26, 13:33, said:

think 5 for us would be asking p to bid slam with something in Hearts
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#36 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 16:00

4nt is RKC for me but if it wasn't I would bid 6. I'll bluff the post mortem by recalling this exact auction in Culbertson vs Lenz.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#37 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-March-27, 16:25

View PostJLOGIC, on 2014-March-24, 21:22, said:

That's very pessimistic, he opened and they bid 4H, they probably have some heart values

have you seen the state of current prempts 8 cards to the ten possible lol
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#38 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-03, 15:45

With distributions round the table like this I am happy to act on the assumption that opener has more than 4 spades. If 4NT has not been agreed as something else, then I would think it would be ace asking.

Our agreements are clear - it is ace asking. X is penalty, and we have no 2-suited takeout for the 5 level (not that this hand wants one).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users