BBO Discussion Forums: Progressive Bidding Poll - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Progressive Bidding Poll

Poll: Progressive Bidding Poll (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Select all calls you agree with...

1. Agree with 3C (35 votes [42.68%])

Percentage of vote: 42.68%

2. Agree with 3NT (19 votes [23.17%])

Percentage of vote: 23.17%

3. Agree with 5C (25 votes [30.49%])

Percentage of vote: 30.49%

4. Agree with 6NT (3 votes [3.66%])

Percentage of vote: 3.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-23, 12:17

IMP Teams, board one of a 64-board match. Strong teammates and opponents.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 12:45

3N makes me woozy, but I can't see a better call. After the first three bids, it seems like you've more or less described your hand, modulo the C intermediates? I'm not sure if 5N is spurning your suggestion, in which case I'd probably have passed it, or some kind of forcing enquiry, in which case I'd prob bid 6C.

We seem to have the trump suit sewn up opposite as much as a stiff, and surely have better communications in a club slam. Meanwhile, P could be missing the AQ of Ss or have something like stiff QH, giving 6C play when 6N (and maybe 5N?) is straight off.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:37

agree with 3c

Prefer 4c rather than 3nt.
--
given we are now at 5nt then now

prefer 6c after 5nt.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 14:52

Where is my "disagree with all bids" option ? Posted Image

-I disagree with 3 because i would like to be in game vs pd's 12-13 hcp and very likely short hearts, even vs a worthless doubleton, at teams scoring. We can bid 3 with 8-11 and 4+ clubs but this hand worth much more than the definition of 3 range in the bidding box imo. I would go with 4 and if this is NF too then i would bid 5

-I disagree with 3 NT, not because i am afraid to go down in 3 NT but i am misrepresenting my hand and giving wrong msg to pd, who will devalue his shortness in hearts. I would bid 5 now

-I do not think 5 offers slam but in the auction which has gone out of my control in previous rounds maybe it does offer, idk.

-Why on earth would i want to be in NT slam, when it does not even right side the slam if we are supposed to protect diamonds. Are we protecting us from ruff ? If pd holds Kx, do you think LHO will always lead from AQJxxx when S bid NT ?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-March-23, 16:13

3C is fine
3NT is dodgy
5C is so-so (6C seems more appropriate)
6NT is a death wish (missed last chance to bid 6C)

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 01:01

3 is fine.

4 over 3 our hand is huge and limited.

After 4NT I'd try to play 6 but obviously that would be bad if partner has Kx, but it is very hard to know what partner has in hearts after 3NT

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-24, 03:41

View PostFluffy, on 2014-March-24, 01:01, said:

After 4NT I'd try to play 6 but obviously that would be bad if partner has Kx, but it is very hard to know what partner has in hearts after 3NT

If pd has Kx, LHO will probably not lead it, when you are the one who bid 3 NT (not pd)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 05:44

i agree with 3nt. 3c i don't have a problem with, though i would probably bid 3nt instead of inviting.

over 3h, 3nt is by far the most likely game and if you don't bid it, one way or the other, it's unlikely p will.

once p moves though, you've perverted the auction too much already to carry on past 4nt and hope to recover.

#9 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-March-28, 16:04

I don't agree with any of the bids either.

The bid I disagree most with is 5C, because there is the obvious alternative of 6C. 5C might 'offer' a club slam, but I can't see why it should be forcing, and having bid only 3C earlier we are huge. The bid I disagree second most with is 6NT, because there's no certainty with have a heart stop and I can't see why it could ever be better than 6C. Actually, on reflection, 6NT was worse than 5C.

I don't like 3C but I can sort of live with it. Same with 3NT, because partner is pretty much marked with a heart honour..

#10 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2014-March-28, 23:00

Interesting. Most people disagree with one or more bids, but usually in a way that will put the partnership in 6. Both hands:

Six clubs of course has no play on the ace of hearts lead. Even if this lead is not found, you are far from cold and will not make on the actual layout (clubs 1-3, diamond queen off). 6NT also does not make. The other table played all of 3NT.
Adam W. Meyerson

#11 User is offline   akhare 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-29, 13:49

View Postawm, on 2014-March-23, 12:17, said:

IMP Teams, board one of a 64-board match. Strong teammates and opponents.

I would bid 4 over the X, but can live with 3. Having bid 3 initially, my choice would be 4 (or 5 if that isn't forcing), but 3N could be right.
foobar on BBO

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-March-30, 05:26

View Postawm, on 2014-March-28, 23:00, said:

Interesting. Most people disagree with one or more bids, but usually in a way that will put the partnership in 6.

I am not sure how you come to that conclusion. E.g. if you jump to 6 after having bid 3NT, certainly partner is allowed to look at his hand?

Arend
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#13 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2014-March-30, 08:47

View Postcherdano, on 2014-March-30, 05:26, said:

I am not sure how you come to that conclusion. E.g. if you jump to 6 after having bid 3NT, certainly partner is allowed to look at his hand?

Arend

Certainly it's possible that you can jump to 6 and partner can bid 6NT... but I wouldn't bet on it. It's easy to construct hands where the club slam is much superior (extra chances by ruffing out a pointed suit; or singleton spade and non-solid clubs plus the heart ace and diamond queen; basically it's only hands where the "heart stopper" is a four-card holding lacking the ace where 6nt is really likely to be better).

Of course it's possible from the poll that most people disagreeing with 5 are passing 4nt, but that's not the feeling I get from the responses in the thread.
Adam W. Meyerson

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-March-31, 07:28

View Postawm, on 2014-March-28, 23:00, said:

Six clubs of course has no play on the ace of hearts lead. Even if this lead is not found, you are far from cold and will not make on the actual layout (...)

It is not a given that that LHO will lead out ace of hearts, heart ruff. Besides, the auction hints at heart shortage across, making 6 a favorite in theory (all HCP likely to be working).

Looking at N/S hands, slam is actually pretty decent. I would say it's just bad luck it goes down.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-31, 18:11

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-March-31, 07:28, said:

It is not a given that that LHO will lead out ace of hearts, heart ruff. Besides, the auction hints at heart shortage across, making 6 a favorite in theory (all HCP likely to be working).

Looking at N/S hands, slam is actually pretty decent. I would say it's just bad luck it goes down.

I would bid 4-5 over the double and end up in 6

But seeing NS hands and saying it is a decent slam escapes me.

#16 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-March-31, 18:50

View Postawm, on 2014-March-30, 08:47, said:

Certainly it's possible that you can jump to 6 and partner can bid 6NT... but I wouldn't bet on it. It's easy to construct hands where the club slam is much superior (extra chances by ruffing out a pointed suit; or singleton spade and non-solid clubs plus the heart ace and diamond queen; basically it's only hands where the "heart stopper" is a four-card holding lacking the ace where 6nt is really likely to be better).

Of course it's possible from the poll that most people disagreeing with 5 are passing 4nt, but that's not the feeling I get from the responses in the thread.

Part of my point is that you have to show clubs this good by jumping to 6 over 4NT - and that this may often make it easier for partner to convert to 6N (compared to bidding 5).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#17 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-April-01, 10:12

View PostMrAce, on 2014-March-31, 18:11, said:

But seeing NS hands and saying it is a decent slam escapes me.

Huh? If clubs break, it's an easy make. If not, maybe you can ruff out the diamond queen or finesse it.

#18 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-02, 11:20

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-April-01, 10:12, said:

Huh? If clubs break, it's an easy make. If not, maybe you can ruff out the diamond queen or finesse it.

You have to be better than world class to make 12 tricks after you've lost the first 2 tricks if opener has the expected 6 (or 7) hearts to the ace.

#19 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-April-03, 05:29

Oh rest assured I'm better than that. I use black magic to shuffle E/W cards prior to the opening lead.

#20 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-April-04, 10:07

I think that after I make it clear that a club slam is a really good idea (6 over 5NT if you're forcing me to slam anyway - is that what 5NT says?) partner, who has heard me show a sort of heart stopper and is looking at KQ can guess what I have - it ain't Axx, or any xxx for that matter. So I'm going to tell him "you really don't want to play slam in NT" and partner is going to say "yes, I do, even more so now."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users