• You cannot reply to this topic

Undiscussed A common real world problem

#21 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-March-23, 17:57

View PostMrAce, on 2014-March-23, 15:26, said:

What is the difference between 2 and 2 NT ?

Typo! :rolleyes:
2 = 3 card LR.
Corrected above.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#22 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-March-23, 17:59

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-March-23, 17:33, said:

Steve.... I see you have changed your Bromad replies .
The following was your structure back in 2/17/2013 :

Here

BROMAD (Bergen Raises over Major and Double) anyone?
2♣ = 3-card LR
2♦ = 3-card CR ( Constructive Raise )
2M = 3-card weak raise
2oM = 4-card CR
2NT = 4-card LR+ (Jordan)
3M = 4-card preemptive
3C/3D = fit-jumps
3H = fit-jump ( when Sp are trump )

Typo - again...apologies to all..
This list is more complete however...
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 18:41

I had thought that it was pretty standard to play jump shifts after a double as fit. I guess I was wrong.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-23, 19:57

View PostVampyr, on 2014-March-23, 18:41, said:

I had thought that it was pretty standard to play jump shifts after a double as fit. I guess I was wrong.

Fit bidding even in 2014 confusing....less so for forum posters.

#25 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-March-23, 20:27

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-March-23, 17:20, said:

I thought this thread was going to go in a different direction....one where the result might be a set of default agreements about whether (and which) conventions are on or off in various situations, for pick-up partnerships in a pinned thread.

It could be printed out for f2f reference or become a BBO handy reference for on-line play.

When OP said he wasn't much interested in our evaluation of his #1 through 6, I guess I read it differently.

You read it right. The best laid plans...

And yes, I contributed to the change of focus.
Ken

#26 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 01:50

I've not had much experience of playing Drury, but logically (or so it seems to me), if it is useful over 1M (P), it must be at least as useful over 1M (X), as opener is more likely to have the weaker hand, and responder is more likely to have support.

#27 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 04:40

If you are wanting a standard default agreement for pick-up partners, then surely "ignore the double and play what bids or raises you have agreed" is the simplest and best.

If you are wanting a "best practice" then I think it depends too much on what your methods are, as the style and philosophy you adopt for normal use should be reflected in use over the double. It probably needs multiple threads.

#28 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 04:50

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-March-23, 10:17, said:

- if pd seems at all likely to not pass out 2nt, I bid that. In most systems it's some sort of a raise and it's not passable.

And if partner is bad enough to pass 2NT, then they were probably going to misplay 4 anyway. :ph34r:

#29 User is offline   Bussy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Piano, Tennis, Jogging

Posted 2014-March-24, 04:56

We play 2-way-reverse Drury after a third hand opener (frequently agressive) so we can stop at the 2-level. We play Jordan 2NT, too, but why in this situation?
We play this convention cause we want to avoid the 3-level, right? I am a fan of "Drury is on in competition"... :)
Love values its object, hate devalues it. Love exudes an inner worth, hate exudes worthlessness. Love inspires, hate dehumanizes.

#30 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-March-24, 06:46

Probably what I was thinking at the outset is not really practical. An example of a solution would be the Mike Lawrence disk "Conventions". He plays Drury, on over a double, on over a 1 overcall of 1. He plays that if a third hand opening of 1 is overcalled with 1 then 3 is still a limit raise, but now with some shape. And of course with four trump.

My thinking was/is that it does not really matter whether a person agrees with this or not, what is important is that you are both on the same page.

Similarly, ML has a discussion of DONT. The auction begins 1NT on my right, I overcall a DONT 2 and my left hand opponent doubles for penalties. It's useful if I know what my partner's 2 call means. Presumably hearts, a re-double would ask for my other suit, but are you sure your pickup partner sees this the same way? Or suppose I overcall with a DONT 2 so that partner knows my two suits and the opponents double. Is redouble still for take out??? ML says yes. Maybe this is a good idea, maybe it isn't, but not knowing what XX means is a really bad idea.

The other day I was playing pickup and pard opened 1NT, 15-17. I have a 9 count, 3/2 in the majors. Partner's profile says 4 suit transfers. Ok, but if I bid 2 and he responds 2, will he know that my 2NT rebid denies four spades? Probably, but I decided to just raise to 3NT. This worked well, because he got a spade lead into his four card holding. But it would be good to know just how he understands four suit transfers.

There are various sources. Pam Granovetter has written Conventions at a Glance. I recall not being that fond of it, although it has been a while since I looked. My hope is that there is some way to cut down on the disasters and quarrels that arise from people having different understandings of what it means to play convention X.
Ken

#31 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 07:51

View Postkenberg, on 2014-March-23, 08:41, said:

I was playing pick-up recently and partner wanted to play Bergen. I try to avoid this in pick-up games because of problems such as the above. "Let's play Bergen". "OK". Uh huh. On over a third seat opening? On over a double? I attempted toclarify this with partner but the communication wasn't working.

My general rule (but usually I am playing with more experienced players) for pick up partnerships:

• After they overcall: Everything is off. Cues are limit raises (or better) and jump raises are weak.
  • After they have doubled our 1minor opening bid: Everything is off. Jump raises are weak.
  • After they have doubled an opening bid of 1 or higher: Everything is on.

I am 100% convinced that these agreements are technically far from best. (So nobody needs to point that out to me.) But they are easy to remember, which is the most important in a pick-up partnership.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#32 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-24, 09:05

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-24, 07:51, said:

My general rule (but usually I am playing with more experienced players) for pick up partnerships:

• After they overcall: Everything is off. Cues are limit raises (or better) and jump raises are weak.
  • After they have doubled our 1minor opening bid: Everything is off. Jump raises are weak.
  • After they have doubled an opening bid of 1 or higher: Everything is on.

I am 100% convinced that these agreements are technically far from best. (So nobody needs to point that out to me.) But they are easy to remember, which is the most important in a pick-up partnership.

Rik

There we go. Optimum shouldn't be the goal. A pinned set of defaults which are acceptable, and easy to remember would be valuable.

Then, a set for after we have overcalled, and for competitive OBAR situations.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#33 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-March-24, 09:15

View Postgszes, on 2014-March-23, 13:45, said:

It is extremely unlikely 2n can ever be meant as an invite to 3N--p has a xx available and
(in theory) can always bid 2n later if neither you nor your partner wants to x the opps. This
thinking is why Jordan 2n is very popular.

Yes, just play Jordon or whatever it is called in your country and WTP?

Of course if not playing Jordon (it should be standardized) then just XX and raise later.

#34 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-24, 10:57

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-March-24, 09:05, said:

There we go. Optimum shouldn't be the goal. A pinned set of defaults which are acceptable, and easy to remember would be valuable.

Then, a set for after we have overcalled, and for competitive OBAR situations.

After we overcall:
  • A cue is limit raise or better.
  • A new suit without a jump (and below game) is forcing at all levels except the two level.

OBAR situations are very much defined by the player's character (and to some extent the form of scoring). I would not set a default for that.

Other rule:
When we have not found a fit, doubles are takeout. (No, this doesn't count for Lightner doubles ;) )
When we have found a fit, doubles are for penalty.

In general, it is much more important to have a consistent set of meta rules than to have the best possible rules. This is particularly true in murky competitive situations (you are depending on the bidding system the opponents use).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#35 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-24, 11:33

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-March-24, 10:57, said:

OBAR situations are very much defined by the player's character (and to some extent the form of scoring). I would not set a default for that.

Since I don't play with pick-ups, my evaluation of your choices, or any choices of my own for defaults would not be useful here.

But, the OBAR situation should have defaults. One that comes to mind is whether 2NT can ever be natural is these cases...either directly after a call by partner and a raise, or after we Neg Double and a raise of RHO's overcall comes back around. Default agreements about advancing prebalances would be valuable as well.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#36 User is offline   TwstofLime 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-24, 23:22

I thought this thread was going to go in a different direction....one where the result might be a set of default agreements about whether (and which) conventions are on or off in various situations, for pick-up partnerships in a pinned thread.

It could be printed out for f2f reference or become a BBO handy reference for on-line play.

Let's use LCS as a starting point. General Approach. Would I/A players follow Hardy or Lawrence? Is 2 over 1 forcing -- for simplicity?

#37 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 01:52

View Posty66, on 2014-March-23, 12:14, said:

When Bob Hamman was In the Well almost 2 years ago, he and Eugene Hung had this exchange:

In a related comment, Hamman says "the most important thing is to know your agreements".

So, why don't more intermediates learn to play LC Standard or a similar, well-documented set of minimal, effective agreements as a baseline (not as their only system)? Good question. And why don't top bridge pros come out and endorse such a system for the good of the game? Maybe it seems too much like work.

The problem isn't agreeing to play LC Standard or BWS or BBO 2/1 with a partner. The problem is getting every partner you play with to play the same system. I play with lots of partners. I think I'm above average in remembering conventions, but certainly nowhere near perfect. Most (but not all - parts of Gazilli and long legged relays I've messed up a few times) of my misunderstands come about not because I don't know the convention, but because I forget if my agreements with partner A include meaning X or meaning Y (I play X with B and C and Y with D and E and Z with F, but which was A again?). If you only form one long term partnership, or your a client and/or dictator and can force your partners to play what you play and make it the exact same then you can adopt a simple system (or a complex one!) and be ok. You might also be able to do this if you have a circle of partners who all learn at the same time from the same teacher/guru and agree to play the same system. But even when people mostly play the same system you'll often start to get slight drifts.

#38 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-March-26, 07:09

I looked at the Larry Cohen site. It seems I have a username and password there, I had just forgotten. It has many of the features that I was hoping to see. For example, it says support doubles are played through 2 of our suit. I have always thought that this was the correct way, perhaps even obviously the correct way, to play them but I have seen confusion on this point. Not surprisingly, he discusses what happens in a DONT auction that begins 1NT-2-X. Again, it seems obvious to me that 2 should show hearts and XX should ask for the other suit but it is good to see it written down.

Maybe I'll run a tournament sometime where it is explicitly stated that, as a default, all conventions will be understood to be played as LC says they are played. No one would be required to play it that way, they can play what they want, but pick-up pards could save themselves a lot of grief if they simply agreed to this default.

Anecdote time: Long ago Lady Y told me a story about Lady X (not their real names). X and Y played Flannery but they disagreed about some of the details. Lady X, now long deceased, was a good player but very stubborn (I played with her and can testify to both statements). They were at a tournament in Philadelphia, Flannery was still alive and was there, so they sought him out. Flannery agreed with Lady Y. As they left, X commented to Y "Well, that's just one man's opinion".
Ken

#39 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-26, 07:40

View PostMbodell, on 2014-March-26, 01:52, said:

The problem isn't agreeing to play LC Standard or BWS or BBO 2/1 with a partner. The problem is getting every partner you play with to play the same system. I play with lots of partners. I think I'm above average in remembering conventions, but certainly nowhere near perfect. Most (but not all - parts of Gazilli and long legged relays I've messed up a few times) of my misunderstands come about not because I don't know the convention, but because I forget if my agreements with partner A include meaning X or meaning Y (I play X with B and C and Y with D and E and Z with F, but which was A again?). If you only form one long term partnership, or your a client and/or dictator and can force your partners to play what you play and make it the exact same then you can adopt a simple system (or a complex one!) and be ok. You might also be able to do this if you have a circle of partners who all learn at the same time from the same teacher/guru and agree to play the same system. But even when people mostly play the same system you'll often start to get slight drifts.

IMO, the problem for intermediates is knowing what blah blah blah means when we say let's play blah blah blah. LC Standard is a good faith effort to tackle this problem by someone who understands it as well as anyone on the planet. But I think even he would laugh out loud if you asked him what are the chances of ever solving the problem discussed in the OP.

This is such a tar pit of a problem.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#40 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-March-26, 08:50

Here is a matchpoint hand from yesterday:

Say what?

So I bid 4 for 40%. The hands, with South as declarer, were:

We do get 800 if I pass the double. But on the NS cards slam is credible and even with the Hawaii 5-0 split slam is there if they don't lead a club. Mea culpa. But I am still not sure on how that double was intended.
Ken

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users