Posted 2014-March-22, 07:09

3 passes to you .
Would you open ? If so, what ?

A K Q 10 9 7 3
5 4
10 9 2
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-22, 07:23

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-March-22, 07:09, said:

3 passes to you .
Would you open ? If so, what ? What would you open ?

A K Q 10 9 7 3
5 4
10 9 2

Posted Image

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-22, 07:32

3. I could be a KJ better than this I think but no more so the range is not too wide. Others may disagree. I haven't had detailed discussion about 4th seat 3-bids - I expect not too may have.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-March-22, 07:53

2 in 4th seat. What I expect we can make. Generally shows 9+ to 13- with 6+ cards. What I've got....
3 1st through 3rd seems normal.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-22, 07:58

2 fits our discussed methods of a poor opening bid in that I have no particular game ambitions opposite less than an exceptional fitting max.

It's intimidating for two passed hands to come in this high and it's a touch below a 3 bid for us.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-22, 08:26

Looking at my 9 count I figure pard has 10 points or so. If I open 1 it could go 2 on my left raised to 3 and now I am stuck since bidding 3 would be highly misleading. I am not so confident that the opponents will pass this out if I open 2. One or the other of my opponents is short in spades, and all three of the other players must have around 9-11 points since 8 points somewhere implies 12 points somewhere else.

I think I just start and hopefully end with 3. It's a little risky betting that there are exactly 9 tricks, but it's my choice.
Ken

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-March-22, 09:45

Vulnerability/scoring is an issue here. Game is possible but unlikely to be better than a finesse. MP at favourable I probably open 2 (9-13 ish) as vul opps might not wish to get involved at the 3 level against a fairly well defined preempt with partner happy to gun for 200.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-March-22, 10:54

I want partner to bid 3NT with two Aces, a stiff spade, and either stuff in the fourth suit or guts. The only bid that induces that call is a 3S opening. I am willing to pay for that with a rare set in 3S.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-22, 12:42

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-March-22, 10:54, said:

I want partner to bid 3NT with two Aces, a stiff spade, and either stuff in the fourth suit or guts. The only bid that induces that call is a 3S opening. I am willing to pay for that with a rare set in 3S.

What do you think of just "gambling" and open 3NT ?
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#10 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-March-22, 12:48

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-March-22, 12:42, said:

What do you think of just "gambling" and open 3NT ?

Unnecessary, and that wrong sides the contract too often, and it places partner's hand exposed on Dummy, all bad.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-22, 15:40

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-March-22, 10:54, said:

I also would like to land in 3nt but think it's a touch easier to do by opening 2 to give partner a chance to bid 2nt. Realistically opening 2 or 3 isn't getting there opposite a stiff spade imo and with more and enough to move 3 will get raised to 4 before 3nt comes into play.

Of course when my partner bids 2nt on an auction like this my 3nt bid is the last one they were expecting.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-22, 15:45

I would open 3
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-March-22, 16:08

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-March-22, 15:40, said:

I also would like to land in 3nt but think it's a touch easier to do by opening 2 to give partner a chance to bid 2nt. Realistically opening 2 or 3 isn't getting there opposite a stiff spade imo and with more and enough to move 3 will get raised to 4 before 3nt comes into play.

Of course when my partner bids 2nt on an auction like this my 3nt bid is the last one they were expecting.

My fourth seat 3S shows a solid suit. I should have mentioned that I guess.

-P.J. Painter.

#14 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-23, 08:09

View PostTWO4BRIDGE, on 2014-March-22, 07:09, said:

3 passes to you .
Would you open ? If so, what ?

A K Q 10 9 7 3
5 4
10 9 2

Certainly this is a hand to open. It satisfies rule of 15 (points plus number of spades). Is there still a chance of game? Well, even if both opponents have the maximum 11 points (surely they would have opened with 12) then partner has at least 9 and maybe as many as 11. I reckon I will have 7 tricks with resonable spade breaks so could my partner have 3 tricks in his hand? I think it's possible he could have AK and A so I will open it 1s and see what my partner replies. I'm going to play in spades at some level and a 2 level response might encourage me to rebid 4s while a 1nt reply I will rebid just 2s.

#15 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-March-24, 06:14

If I open, it would be 4S, partner will have 2 1/2 tricks for you,
most of the time 4S will have some play.

Unfortunately, partner wont have an idea, what you may need.

It is close.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users