BBO Discussion Forums: An auction, a hand and then partner's hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An auction, a hand and then partner's hand Am I overthinking?

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2014-March-20, 15:16

3 being a pre-empt, how do you feel about the double? What could it show?

Say West had:

9xxx
x
QJTx
Qxxx

Do you agree with the bidding? Wouldn't it be better to give a simple raise?

AKJxxx
KQJTx
x
x

Would you pass partner's double? Would it be different if you were playing imp's or mp's?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-20, 16:21

I can live with 3, I'd have bid 4 over 4 to ensure not doubling with a big double fit, then I'd respect partner's double.

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-March-20, 16:42

Partner is weak, but found a double over their 5 bid. Normally, you'd expect partner to just pass or perhaps bid on with distribution. Partner must have a reason for doubling. So, it's best to trust partner and pass.

#4 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-20, 16:45

View PostHanoi5, on 2014-March-20, 15:16, said:

3 being a pre-empt, how do you feel about the double? What could it show?

Lightner, hoping partner will guess right to find my void.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-20, 16:50

View Postcherdano, on 2014-March-20, 16:45, said:

Lightner, hoping partner will guess right to find my void.

It won't be me, but somone could say that the void is inside your head since you are on lead :P

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-20, 17:23

I agree with the bidding. But i would have chosen to bid 4 by E

Vs a preemptive 3 as East i would be concerned about losing 3 aces at 5 level. But i would still bid 5. Pd may hold an ace, or if he does not, our chances of defeating them is reduced by a lot, especially if pd does not have shortness. I would be more comfortable with passing the double, had i shown hearts previous round.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   uhhlv 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-March-21, 02:44

The double in this situation means 2 things:
- I ve 1 or 2 defence tricks (more defense tricks are unrealistic with a weak hand).
- I m not interested (to defend) in 5

Because of reason 2 the 3 bidder should always double in this situation, when he has 1 or more Defense tricks.

So at MP passing the double is clear.
At IMPs it is much more difficult. Maybe we can manage 5 . Maybe partner doubled with only 1 defense trick and it is very ambiguous, if I ve 0 (worst case), 1, 2 or even more defense tricks, especially if partner has more than a single .

Yes: It would be better to bid 4 the round before. Then I could pass the double even at IMPs with a clear conscience.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-21, 03:06

I thought it was a common agreement that double by peemptor suggests a sacrifice rather than discourages one? Is this situation different because it is not clear who is sacrififying?

Anyway, I agree with 3. Close to 4 than to 2. Maybe E should have bid 4 but he doesn't really want a heart lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-March-21, 15:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-21, 03:06, said:

I thought it was a common agreement that double by peemptor suggests a sacrifice rather than discourages one? Is this situation different because it is not clear who is sacrififying?

Anyway, I agree with 3. Close to 4 than to 2. Maybe E should have bid 4 but he doesn't really want a heart lead.

4 is not about the lead: it is about describing the hand. On this hand, it describes a major 2-suiter, willing to play in 4 based on the quality and length of the majors, and strongly implies no defence in the minors. Once he has done this, if partner doubles, he can pass with assurance that partner made a well-informed decision. The posited 4=1=4=4 with minor cards is exactly the hand on which you want partner to make a penalty double. IOW, 4 is intended to help partner, whether that be by bidding on (say he held Qxxx xxxxx xxx x) or by doubling with the actual hand, or by passing when neither bidding nor doubling seem appropriate: say Qxxx xx Qxx J10xx.

With the actual big major hand, I would expect to bid one more unless partner doubled, and then I'd sit for it.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users