BBO Discussion Forums: 2H transfer over my 1N, RHO doubles, I pass - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2H transfer over my 1N, RHO doubles, I pass Penalty Pass?

#1 User is offline   vodkagirl 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-19, 13:30

Partner is a random and we are playing 2/1. In short, he transfers and RHO makes a lead directing double. I pass in order to penalize. Is this a good or bad idea?

I am not enamored of the transfer as with only two s in my hand we most likely have a 5-2 fit. We have been doubled into game so if partner has game values it seems we are were we should be.

Should my Partner recognize this pass as a penalty pass?

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-19, 13:44

As North, I would have passed the double, and expected partner to understand I have exactly two spades. What he decided to do after that (including pass to make, but I doubt it :-) is his issue. If he bids spades anyway, I expect it to be right. If he redoubles, I expect that to be "partner, I said bid 2; please do so."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-March-19, 14:11

for me pass just says 2 not so thrilled about

if you want to show redouble, partner will take you for 4 unless you have a prior agreement that it shows 5

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-19, 15:56

We choose Redouble to strongly suggest playing right there. Accepting the transfer, for us, is merely a "go-ahead" bid...either 3+trump support or it is o.k. for partner to go ahead with whatever she had planned ---such as a NT invite or a NT game. So, PASS of the Doubled Xfer denies 3 of responder's suit AND denies a stopper in the Doubled suit.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-March-19, 21:13

I would have xx. As you have AK of H, this looks like another one of those really awful doubles. If pd is really weak, she can always correct to 2S.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-March-19, 21:45

Partner will have inferred from your pass that it denies 3 cards in his suit but in normal methods says nothing about the transfer suit. Partner is unlikely to choose to leave it in unless you have made a special and rather unusual agreement about this sequence.

Redouble to suggest playing there is a very reasonable agreement; we will do this over a 2NT opening but over 1NT we have decided that it is more practical to XX to indicate a willingness to compete to the 3-level. Who knows, but in any case, most people will not make a lead-directing double without length, so it is worth taking this into account when devising your methods.

Note: When reading my comments, please take into account that I am not overly familiar with the strong NT. My preferred methods may be less useful in that context.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-19, 21:47

View Postvodkagirl, on 2014-March-19, 13:30, said:

Partner is a random and we are playing 2/1. In short, he transfers and RHO makes a lead directing double. I pass in order to penalize. Is this a good or bad idea?
I am not enamored of the transfer as with only two s in my hand we most likely have a 5-2 fit. We have been doubled into game so if partner has game values it seems we are were we should be.
Should my Partner recognize this pass as a penalty pass?
I agree with vodkagirl that opener's pass should indicate a doubleton and willingness to play in 2X. Redouble should show other hands with a doubleton , and 2 should show 3. Without agreement, however, theHog's interpretation is normal. It seems, however, to give responder a hard decision, when he holds, say

J x x x x x x x x x x x x,

Here, he would be happy to play 2X opposite vodkagirl's hand but when opener redoubles, to show that hand, poor responder must decide between toughing it in 2XX or chickening out into 2 or 3, which are also likely to be doubled. (Notice that responder can always redouble himself with say

A x x x x J x K x x Q x x )

#8 User is offline   vodkagirl 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-20, 06:50

Many thanks for the replies.

From what has been posted the following schema is what I intend to use:

Completion of transfer, showing 3 in the suit to be transferred to
XX showing willingness to play in doubled suit showing 4/5 cards in it
Pass denying 3 in the suit to be transferred to (here s)

This is what partner had:

What should he have bid in the hand as played?

What should he bid in response to the schema I have put in this post?

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-20, 06:56

After you redouble I would bid 4. Maybe 3 is enough. Don't try to get the contract in opener's hand - on a heart lead it is better to have the opp with the heart suit on lead.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users