BBO Discussion Forums: Decision time - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Decision time

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-18, 09:11

You opened 2 weak, and pd due to a momentarily insanity bid 4 which ended the auction ( this is actually how the auction went at the table, not a make up auction)

Opponents are EXPERT and playing 3/5 leads and std signals primary signal being count. IMP.

T1-They led 2, which went to RHO's A,
T2-RHO played 6 you ruffed and LHO played 3.
T3,4 - You played 2 rounds of diamonds ending in hand (south) and saw LHO with stiff T and RHO Qx
T5- You played a to Q which won, RHO dropping the T
T6- You cashed A, and RHO discarded 9
T7- You played 3rd , RHO discarded 7 and LHO won
T8-LHO played small spade, your decision time, what do you play ?

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-18, 09:30

This looks like a pure guess :/

West has shown up with what looks like 5 HCPs so far (HK and CQ), and East 6 (CA, DQ), with SAQ somewhere.

West looks like 3415 making East 5125. So although East is more likely to have the spades it's far too close to say.

I'll duck. West might have led a spade from Qxx but not from Axx and that's about all I have to go on. (Perhaps the C9 is also suit pref for spades?)

ahydra

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-March-18, 09:47

Deleted...I misread the trump layout and was playing w for 2=4=2=5
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-18, 11:55

Wow is this N/B?

I'm going to fly K. LHO has a full count of my hand, and left to my own devices, I have no choice but to play a spade to the K. He's giving me a losing option. I hope. I hope.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-18, 11:55

I just noticed this is in the N/B forum (thought it was the expert forum when I posted). Wonder if I missed something obvious? Or was it accidentally posted in the wrong forum, given opps are experts?

ahydra

#6 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-18, 13:14

mrace is from turkey. even the novices are experts there.

#7 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-18, 14:56

It doesn't look like a guess, but then if you consider the Grosvenor, maybe it is.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-18, 18:26

Last night i posted different topics to different forums. This was intended to be posted in I/A forum. I apologize for this, my bad. Posted Image

There are different ways to take hints for your guesses. Usually the auction helps. Then we try count the hcps and shapes of opponents to make a better guess.

This one however, is about the actions opponents have taken/not taken.

LHO saw your exact 6 cards , Jxx and singleton K. So he is basically defending double dummy at this point.

Why did he play small spade instead of simply exiting with his last ? This is the key question you should be asking to yourself, it is not as hard as you guys think it is, if you ask the right question to yourself. This is the hand i played yesterday vs Pavliceks, the last board of 24 boards game.

I think after the tips i have given, this topic maybe eligible for this forum. Take it on from here please Posted Image

EDIT : Kuhchung got it right. I just saw it.

LHO could have easily exit with heart and put you in a no winning position if East has the A. However if he does that, you will have no option other than playing a spade to K. Thus he does not want you to do that, by creating a losing option. Do not forget i mentioned that your opponents are EXPERTS.

View Postwank, on 2014-March-18, 13:14, said:

mrace is from turkey. even the novices are experts there.

Posted Image

Don't mess with Turks now !!! Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-19, 09:50

Is this inference completely solid? If declarer started with JTx, surely he might as easily run the Jack, hoping the Queen is onside. In which case, West leading small from the Queen would equally provide a losing option. West won't lead small from QT, but will from AT, so the odds favour MrAce's line, but I don't think it certain.

#10 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-19, 11:21

View PostStevenG, on 2014-March-19, 09:50, said:

Is this inference completely solid? If declarer started with JTx, surely he might as easily run the Jack, hoping the Queen is onside. In which case, West leading small from the Queen would equally provide a losing option. West won't lead small from QT, but will from AT, so the odds favour MrAce's line, but I don't think it certain.

I thought about that, but Jxx is a lot more likely than JTx. Plus, you can still exit the heart and choose to duck if declarer does table the SJ. You both have a full count, and there's no more inferences to be drawn, so you don't need to put declarer to an early guess with no information or something
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-19, 13:26

View PostStevenG, on 2014-March-19, 09:50, said:

Heh, no, it is way far more than the odds of W playing low from AT but not QT.Posted Image

- When declarer holds JTx, he already has a losing option when W exits with , thus playing small from Qxx, even if declarer has specific JTx, West is not creating any extra losing option technically. However it may have deceptive effect

- Playing low from Qxx is a good attempt to give life to a dead contract when pd holds ATx, even if declarer goes wrong, you gain nothing because he was going down anyway.

- There is only and only 1 situation, where declarer can not go wrong and/or does not have a losing option if you leave him by himself, and west can create a losing option by playing the spade suit Posted Image

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users