BBO Discussion Forums: What do you lead ? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you lead ?

Poll: What do you lead ? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Your lead ?

1. Small spade (20 votes [64.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.52%

2. Heart (6 votes [19.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

3. Small diamond (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Diamond A (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Club (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-21, 06:05

View Postwank, on 2014-March-20, 21:27, said:

i won't comment as to what i would lead - it's not tricky to get hands right having seen all 4 of them but in general i very rarely lead passively when opps have a 6 card suit which looks like running based on my holding. xx of clubs over is about as bad a holding as it's possible to get.

Some people led way too agressive if you look at replies (A and T leadsPosted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2014-March-28, 14:51

View PostMrAce, on 2014-March-21, 06:05, said:

Some people led way too agressive if you look at replies (A and T leadsPosted Image

Those leads are inspired by the fact that this question was asked.

An attacking lead seems normal to me since I expect opps having a running suit, and a small is the normal thing to do. Bringing in 4 + A defeats the contract, hoping for 4 tricks + A is an alternative but looks less appealing to me. Starting passively with a or is probably never right.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#23 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-02, 16:02

If you have seen what a "stopper" looks like in most of
these forum problems a lead of a low spade looks better
and better.

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-07, 17:43

View PostFree, on 2014-March-28, 14:51, said:

Those leads are inspired by the fact that this question was asked.

An attacking lead seems normal to me since I expect opps having a running suit, and a small is the normal thing to do. Bringing in 4 + A defeats the contract, hoping for 4 tricks + A is an alternative but looks less appealing to me. Starting passively with a or is probably never right.

I think you and i have different views about "aggressive leads" or in your terms "attacking leads" To me there are 3 kinds of leads;

-Normal lead
-Passive lead
-Aggressive lead

Aggressive leads are unusual leads for me, such as leading from AQx (A and then Q or starting with Q) in NT is an aggressive lead for me, You do that when you are scared that opponents are likely to make enough tricks in their contract unless we take our tricks first. In this context small lead from ATxx is a normal lead, high lead is passive and A lead would be aggressive (or A)

View Postgszes, on 2014-April-02, 16:02, said:

If you have seen what a "stopper" looks like in most of
these forum problems a lead of a low spade looks better
and better.

You have a good point.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-27, 19:03

Thinking about this problem again, I really like Phil King's A lead. There are essentially two ways to beat this:
  • Cash 5 tricks
  • Partner has a club stopper, and we can set up four tricks for us.

A seems to give us the best possible shot at the first possibility, and it's hard to construct losing layouts for the second possibility.
I bet bluecalm's simulation would look differently if he specified 6+clubs for opener (which is much closer to the truth of course).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users