• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lying About Stayman

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-March-17, 13:01

I held this hand earlier today. I bid 2d thinking my H holding was so rubbish and I have stops in all the other suits so my p signed off in 3N. I know p could have had a hand that 4H was good but 3N wasn't (if holding 4H) but was lying about stayman right? If not when is it right to lie?

thanks,

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-March-17, 13:18

you pay your money and you take your chances. If wrong be prepared to take 100% of the blame.

besides the normal Stayman type hands where you could be wrong there is also the garbage Stayman hand where partner is passing whatever you say so could be in 5-2 instead of 4-4 opp a weak hand

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is online   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-March-17, 13:40

View Posteagles123, on 2014-March-17, 13:01, said:

I held this hand earlier today. I bid 2d thinking my H holding was so rubbish and I have stops in all the other suits so my p signed off in 3N. I know p could have had a hand that 4H was good but 3N wasn't (if holding 4H) but was lying about stayman right? If not when is it right to lie?

thanks,

Eagles

Here's a few other things to think about

1. The bulk of your HCPs are in Aces and Kings. Aces and Kings (often) suggest that a suit contract will play better than NT
2. You have very few useful intermediates (Jacks, 10s, 9s, etc). These slow stoppers can be very useful in a NT contract
3. You have A4 in the diamond suit which is two big flaws for a NT contract. (The suit is short, so its likely to be lead and you can only hold up on the suit once)
4. You're at the bottom of your range for a 12-14 HCP NT opening. (Holding 24-25 HCPs, a 4-4 fit will often take 1 more trick in the suit than in NT. Less true with 27-28 or so)

I wouldn't string my partner up for lying about a four card major, but this isn't the hand to do so...

Here's a 12-14 HCP 1NT opening where I'd be more tempted

KJT
KQT
KQT
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 13:43

I think it's extremely silly to conceal the hearts here. You don't know that partner's hearts aren't AKQx or KQJx or the like, it'd be gross if the opps run the diamonds when you have to develop club tricks or the hearts or something like that. Plus you can even construct hands where partner has xxxx trumps, and you have 3 trump losers on a 3-2 break, but 4h is the only game with play.

You have aces and kings and a doubleton which all point to suit play. If you were 3433 with a bunch of slow double stopped suits I'd have more sympathy for the action, though I personally would never do it. IMO let partner of NT opener decide to not use stayman, holding bad suit of his own and flat shape, rather than NT opener randomly lie when he knows a ton less about what his partner holds than vice versa.

#5 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2014-March-17, 13:46

The current expert consensus is that lying in replying to Stayman is almost always wrong. It is particularly wrong at MPs where you can lose all the matchpoints by making 3NT when 4 makes the extra trick. xx or Ax in your hand provide a good route to an extra ruffing trick in your hand. Stayman in his 1967 book Do You Play Stayman? recommended a suit of at least qtxx to use or reply to Stayman, for fear of bad breaks in the trump suit, but only at IMPS. It might be something to try if you need a swing at IMPS.

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 13:56

ok thanks folks helpful answers :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 14:03

I might be tempted (and still wrong) with 4 triple but with a ruffing value, no way.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-March-17, 14:17

The posts of Richard and others are spot on and I have nothing to add.

#9 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 14:24

Agree with all the posts above - I would never consider lying in response to Stayman, and especially not with this hand as it's so suit-oriented.

Another thing to consider. If you show the suit and it turns out that hiding it would have been better then there are no real repercussions for the partnership/team. You'll chalk it down to bad luck. Zero blame.

If however, you hide the suit and it backfires and you get a bottom/lose a swing, you'll look extremely silly. You partnership morale might be damaged and you'll be kicking yourself. If you have a partner who is on board with your foibles and won't criticise your off-the-wall decisions then that's okay. Sometimes doing the normal thing is better because it is normal, not because it will get you a better result. You've got to have very high confidence in the positive expected value of your action for it to be a good one. If it works, say, 60% of the time that is not nearly enough imo. This may not be the purist's way of playing but it is a better practical way of playing. I'm not discouraging brilliancy, but I am saying really make sure in your own mind that you think it's brilliant.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 15:07

What Steve and Richard said mostly covered everything i wanted to say, except 1 little thing, which happened to me a lot each time i tried to be genius and hidden my 4 card xxxx suit, whether after stayman or in another auction.

I received a lead on my xxxx suit in NT and this usually ended up ugly for me. Had i shown this suit, like all other normal people, i would have received the cream of the cake lead for me. This happens more frequently vs GIB.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-17, 16:23

I don’t know how much credence it is worth in real life, but I very regularly lie in response to stayman when playing in robot tourneys, and I would say that the success rate of the strategy in that environment is far higher than would be suggested by the naysayers. Not saying that OP is a good example.

It is quite a refreshing environment in this regard (robot tourneys, that is). You can experiment with psyching as often as you like to your heart’s content. OK you will get a mixture of tops and bottoms, but (1) partner will never complain, (2) opps will never complain, (3) there is no TD to complain, and (4) there is no ethical baggage of implicit agreements born of frequency.

In my observation, a lot of the unexpected long term net gain derives from (1) robot tendency (that is, more so than humans) to lead short unbid suits v NT, and (2) robot blind trust in oppo having their bid. A common consequence of this is that on many of the occasions when you end in an inferior 3N having missed a major fit due to lying in response to Stayman, that theoretical inferiority is at least compensated for by misdefence born of erroneous construction of declarer’s hand.

I find that the most successful lies are when you open 1N with a 5 card major, and then deny possession of a 4 card major in response to stayman. Not only does this maximise the disparity between declarer’s actual v expected hand, augmenting the potential for misdefence, but also there is a slightly reduced chance of partner having 4 card support and thereby missing a fit.

Over the last year I have been opening 1N more often with a 6 card major in the hopes of denying 4 in response to Stayman. Works rather more often when holding Hearts than Spades, as you would expect.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#12 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 17:00

Maybe one more thing: If you think you pay the cards well, then you want to be in the same contract everyone else is in. You can beat them in the play.

But as for this hand, having small hearts and short diamonds looks good to me. If partner has the AK he can draw two round, either immediately or while setting up the ruff, depending on his hand. If he has AQ maybe the finesse works. KQxx is apt to give you an extra trick playing in hearts.

But most of that has been said. So I'll stick with the thought of getting to the contract everyone is in and playing it better.
Ken

#13 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 17:11

anyone ever wished they could delete a topic! FWIW 3NT made and 4H was down so i guess i am a genius after all :D :P ;)

Eagles

ps only joking, all part of learning process :)

#14 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 17:17

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-March-17, 16:23, said:

I don't know how much credence it is worth in real life, but I very regularly lie in response to stayman when playing in robot tourneys, and I would say that the success rate of the strategy in that environment is far higher than would be suggested by the naysayers.

I really don't think you can use success vs. robot defenders to suggest what works in the real world against competent opps. You are taking advantage of a situation where you can essentially play illegally, having a concealed partnership agreement of frequent concealment of 4 cd majors without disclosure against opps who have no way of being informed of this. Plus playing against opps who are super-rigid about possible NT distributions and point count, and have a tendency to be passive and not lead long suits. Or lead long suits then not continue them because of inability to read signals! This is a pretty much perfect environment to play in the "wrong" contract and do better. I don't think this works against decent humans.

OP's question is about bridge in general, not how to take max advantage against current GIB software design limitations.

#15 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-17, 19:06

Robot's don't get irritated when you operate them. Partners, even if they won't show emotion, will store your cleverness in the back of their mind ---and who knows when it will come to the surface? I know; on a hand where you want partner to trust your calls.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#16 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2014-March-17, 19:19

View Posteagles123, on 2014-March-17, 17:11, said:

anyone ever wished they could delete a topic! FWIW 3NT made and 4H was down so i guess i am a genius after all :D :P ;)

Eagles

ps only joking, all part of learning process :)

I generally believe that my partner should do what he thinks is right. I would respond 2 and go down in 4. As said above you pays your money and you takes your chance.
Ken

#17 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 19:45

Eagles, while this isn't the hand to lie on, it isn't a bad question. We learn by making mistakes and asking questions, and based on your posts I think you have been making massive improvements!

I have only lied twice to Stayman, both times playing 15-17 NT. The first one was something like xx AKx KTx AQJxx . I ended up in 4, but I was the strongest player in the field (novice/beginner game), and 4 played one trick better than 3NT and scored a top. The second one was on BBO, I did it on xx AKQ KJTx ATxx and we ended up in 4 instead of 3NT. Partner had KQJT, and 3NT scored far better than 4.

Everyone else well covered why this hand isn't a good one to lie. Garbage Stayman (maybe even in a 4-2 fit), all the controls, and having a Major are reasons not to lie. They are horrid hearts, but partner could have all the honors, or they can easily lie favorably. Stay with the room, and outplay them.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#18 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-March-17, 19:51

It is never right to lie. You have no idea what partner's hand is and he has a much better idea of yours. Furthermore if you lie you are masterminding and do not have a proper partnership.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#19 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2014-March-17, 21:13

The only spot I know where it is routine to lie in response to stayman is when you have 6 solid in a major. You are just gambling that having a fit there is unlikely and you screw them on defense. This is esp true vs robots who will 100 % shift to that suit upon seeing whatever in dummy, but it also works well irl imo.

#20 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-17, 23:36

View PostJLOGIC, on 2014-March-17, 21:13, said:

The only spot I know where it is routine to lie in response to stayman is when you have 6 solid in a major. You are just gambling that having a fit there is unlikely and you screw them on defense. This is esp true vs robots who will 100 % shift to that suit upon seeing whatever in dummy, but it also works well irl imo.

I've found that when playing 2n-3-3 as no 4-card major, the opponents are often not amused when you show up with 6 hearts and insist partner's explanation was correct.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users