BBO Discussion Forums: Stepping forward one card at a time - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stepping forward one card at a time

#1 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-15, 00:58

When viewing past hands in BBO, or opening a .lin file, I often want to step forward one card at a time, rather than one trick at a time. For example, when using the GIB feature, I often want to see which cards one person can play to a trick without changing the optimal result. As soon as I click the forward arrow, it plays out the whole trick, so I'm only able to do so for the leader to the trick.

Is there any way to do this?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-15, 02:37

No, this isn't currently possible.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-15, 06:43

Not currently within BBO. If you download from MyHands into 3rd party app such as Bridge Captain's Double Dummy Solver then you do have card by card control. Obviously a slightly more time consuming method.

I agree that this is rather frustrating and has been this way forever. I am not a programmer but instinctively I would not expect it to be hard to correct.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-March-15, 17:34

You can edit a lin diagram to insert {comments in curly brackets}, which create pauses after the play of individual cards.
The diagram on the left has been edited to include the play of the cards.
When you hit Next, you will see an annotated variation of the solution to Zloty's double-dummy problem.

Here is the relevant code
[hv=pc=n&s=s54hj7d65432c9432&w=sk6hqt98djt987c65&n=saqt3hak32dckqjt8&e=sj9872h654dakqca7&d=n&v=0&b=1#
&a=pp5c(Cut to the chase)ppp
&p=C6CTCAC2C7C9C5C8D2D7CJDQSA{
RHO  unblocks}S7S4{
and LHO unblocks  too}SKHAH4H7H8HKH5HJH9H2H6C3HTD3D8CQDKH3{
RHO tries to avoid being  endplayed}DAC4HQD4D9CK{
One suit squeeze}S8STSJS5S6]400|400|[/hv]

#5 User is offline   FM75 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-31, 15:08

View Postsmerriman, on 2014-March-15, 00:58, said:

When viewing past hands in BBO, or opening a .lin file, I often want to step forward one card at a time, rather than one trick at a time. For example, when using the GIB feature, I often want to see which cards one person can play to a trick without changing the optimal result. As soon as I click the forward arrow, it plays out the whole trick, so I'm only able to do so for the leader to the trick.

Is there any way to do this?

Yes, it can be done using the hand-viewer (sort of - it is tedious). Export the game to view on the web. It constructs a really long URL. That has the auction and the entire play history. You can stop the play at your desired point by editing the URL - erasing all play. Then paste that into your browser. At the end of the play, GIB will show you the double dummy analysis of the options that the next player has.

Not pretty, or easy. The down-side is if you really want to step through, each step you make will require pasting a new url AND stepping through to the end.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-31, 19:10

View PostFM75, on 2014-March-31, 15:08, said:

Not pretty, or easy. The down-side is if you really want to step through, each step you make will require pasting a new url AND stepping through to the end.

No. As nige1 demonstrated, you just have to edit the URL once and put a comment at each point where you want to stop. You could put it between each card. If you need to do this frequently, it shouldn't be difficult for someone to write an editor macro to automate it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users