• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-March-10, 12:19

1-(p)-1NT-(2)
X?

What's X?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-March-10, 12:44

Being a traditionalist (that means I am as old as dirt) the double would be for penalties.

I am sure that there are plenty of players out there who play that all doubles below 2NT are for takeout, so you will get contrary opinions.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-March-10, 13:40

I have meta rules that define it as penalties or take-out. Which do you prefer?

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-10, 14:32

View PostTylerE, on 2014-March-10, 12:19, said:

1-(p)-1NT-(2)
X?

What's X?

I play it t/o with 5314

With 5413 i would bid 2

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-March-10, 18:06

The axe
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-March-10, 20:09

Sticking to our refusal to define Doubles as "penalty", "takeout" or by any other name...I would say, "partner is strongly suggesting that the 2D bid was a mistake." Alternately, "Partner agrees that the hand should be played in 2D."
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   WGF_Flame 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-March-11, 04:06

penalty

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-11, 04:18

5314 is great when it comes up but it is very specific. I would like to double with 5323 or 5224 and extras, especially if we play weak NT or if we don't open 1NT with five spades routinely. I could bid it with an 18-count and three diamonds as well, en route to 3NT but just checking if partner is able to convert the double. I suppose I could do it with a good 5314 and some quick tricks also. Basically partner will assume I have two diamonds and good defensive values outside of diamonds.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-March-11, 09:52

I think it probably matters what 2NT and 3 would mean. The simplest is probably to play that double essentially shows a 2 rebid and 2NT/3 retain their natural meanings. If you are playing Lebensohl here then we have 2NT and 3 to cover club hands and a penalty double becomes more attractive.
(-: Zel :-)

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-March-11, 10:07

There is no 'standard' these days. 40 years ago it would have been penalty.

These days I suspect takeout is the more frequent treatment amongst tournament players.

At one point, I used a different treatment depending on whether the overcall was higher or lower than the suit I opened.

Thus if I opened 1 and rho bid 2, on frequency grounds it was very rare that I would hold enough spades that I would be doubling for blood, so takeout seemed clear, while if they bid a suit lower than mine, I might well hold a chunky 4 bagger. I used this approach after a non-forcing 1N response to 1m as well.

These days, I play takeout in my expert partnerships. But I think it is six of one and half a dozen of the other.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-March-11, 20:15

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-March-11, 04:18, said:

5314 is great when it comes up but it is very specific. I would like to double with 5323 or 5224 and extras, especially if we play weak NT or if we don't open 1NT with five spades routinely. I could bid it with an 18-count and three diamonds as well, en route to 3NT but just checking if partner is able to convert the double. I suppose I could do it with a good 5314 and some quick tricks also. Basically partner will assume I have two diamonds and good defensive values outside of diamonds.

Yes, i actually tried to put the hands you wrote also, but got lazy and just put what a textbook example shape would be for me. My bad.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-March-16, 22:14

Following Mel C., Double by opener when partner is limited and can be weak is Take Out. 1M - P - 1N - 2m - X implies 4 in OM. Bidding OM freely shows 5.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#13 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-March-17, 03:00

T/O

We play all low level X as T/O.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#14 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-18, 12:45

T/O is modern expert standard and I think much better treatment. Proceed with caution though as it used to be penalty for many people and you never know what local customs are.
You can have 5323/5224/5314 or even 6322 with a weak suit and/or looking to find hearts. You are in big trouble with those hands (in 15+range) if t/o double is not available. Losing penalty isn't much of a problem, you can always pass and partner will be happy to re-open.

#15 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-March-18, 22:14

Penalties when playing against bunnies.
T/O (with extras) against good players who know when to overcall under the gun. Can be converted, of course.
What I am not too keen on is a T/O X on pure shape with min. opener in direct seat.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users