BBO Discussion Forums: Weak 2 with 4-card minor in new GCC - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak 2 with 4-card minor in new GCC

#121 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-March-31, 18:44

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-March-31, 10:11, said:

To get back on topic

If I have 5 4 6 hcp with most if not all my hcp in your two long suit Vul at imps

I really don't want to bid 2 on this hand playing pre-empts with 4 card minors even with 6 would hesitate but do it.

No one is forcing you to bid this way. The GCC simply allows you to use this convention, it still requires partnership agreement. It's not considered part of Standard American or 2/1.

This would be a much more useful convention if you are allowed to have a 5-card minor or even to specify that you must have a 5-card minor

5-5 in the blacks I would be much more willing to bid 2 at any vul

I assume the intent is that it shows at least 5-4 in the suits, it doesn't limit the minor to 4 cards.

#122 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-April-25, 20:21

ok so in ACBL your allowed to open a weak 2 (5-11, 6-10, 5-9 etc) with 5 major and 4 of unnamed minor

but if you have opening type hand (10+) you can open with 2 known suits 5-4, the most common example of this would be Flannery

but you cant open 5 of a major 4 of unnamed minor

this seems backwards to the normal ACBL protocol where weak bids need to have known suits
Sarcasm is a state of mind

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users