• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Skill Level? Notifying Customer Service Players Who Overstate Their Skill Level

#81 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-07, 13:22

My guess is that it goes by IP address. I so conclude by the following test.

I loaded the page in a Sandbox, checked a skill, closed, deleted the sandbox, rinse and repeat.
If it was working on cookies the clean sandbox for the second attempt should have cleared the history, but it clocked an extra attempt.

I then did the same again but logging onto a VPN by different sites, without deleting the sandbox contents, and each time I looked in via a different proxy it re-set the counter.

I think that my ISP changes my IP address periodically, so the entire thing seems rather, umm, what is the opposite of robust? Fragile? Flakey?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#82 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-February-07, 15:19

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-February-07, 13:00, said:

Or you could save them permanently for posterity (and really free) with bridge captain's double dummy solver
Thanks, how i have said there is a certain number of times you can see your played hands but i have ended it and now i cannot see anymore. Effectly it is the same result.

#83 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-28, 05:19

A question: having i played in relaxed and mean club also in private from january until may 2014 however don't find my played hands like instead those visualizable from january and february 2015 ? Thanks.

#84 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-28, 06:11

BBO periodically removes old records from myhands... everything prior to 1/1/15 is gone.

#85 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-February-28, 06:13

View PostLovera, on 2015-February-28, 05:19, said:

A question: having i played in relaxed and mean club also in private from january until may 2014 however don't find my played hands like instead those visualizable from january and february 2015 ? Thanks.

Problem with translation, but I think that I get the drift. Particularly enjoyed the unintended reference to "mean club".

BBO keeps hand records basically for ever, as far as I am aware, but only makes about the last 2 months' records available online at any instant via MyHands site. It's a resources/cost thing, no doubt.

Third party apps such as Bridge Captain's Double Dummy Solver can download hands and preserve them for ever. But at the instant of download they only have access to the hands currently available in MyHands. Thus, if you did not download the hands from Jan-May 2014 by now then you cannot go back and get them now. I have kept a record of all *my* hands going back for a couple of years, by the diligent downloading of hands on a monthly basis.

There is another program BridgeBrowser, a commercial program by Stephen Pickett who has a separate arrangement with BBO for hands going back further than MyHands. I don't hear much about it these days. From recollection it is quite expensive, but if you have the intellect to take advantage of its features you get what you pay for. It was too difficult for me, but that doesn't mean anything. Inquiry could tell you more about it. I do not know whether you could get the Jan-May 2014 hands from that source.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#86 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-28, 09:59

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-February-28, 06:13, said:

Problem with translation, but I think that I get the drift. Particularly enjoyed the unintended reference to "mean club".

BBO keeps hand records basically for ever, as far as I am aware, but only makes about the last 2 months' records available online at any instant via MyHands site. It's a resources/cost thing, no doubt.

Third party apps such as Bridge Captain's Double Dummy Solver can download hands and preserve them for ever. But at the instant of download they only have access to the hands currently available in MyHands. Thus, if you did not download the hands from Jan-May 2014 by now then you cannot go back and get them now. I have kept a record of all *my* hands going back for a couple of years, by the diligent downloading of hands on a monthly basis.

There is another program BridgeBrowser, a commercial program by Stephen Pickett who has a separate arrangement with BBO for hands going back further than MyHands. I don't hear much about it these days. From recollection it is quite expensive, but if you have the intellect to take advantage of its features you get what you pay for. It was too difficult for me, but that doesn't mean anything. Inquiry could tell you more about it. I do not know whether you could get the Jan-May 2014 hands from that source.

Thanks for the answere but my request was limited if i had a way to recognize those for seeing anew anyone more interesting that i had played with success, but you are teeling me it is nowadays not possible easyly, bye.

#87 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-20, 07:56

Where is possibile to see freely and uptodate your rating if BBO skill is blocked, thanks ?

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-August-21, 07:49

#88 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-August-21, 07:51

Please do not enter your BBO username and password into websites that don't belong to BBO.

#89 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-21, 10:52

View PostLovera, on 2015-August-20, 07:56, said:

Where is possibile to see freely and uptodate your rating if BBO skill is blocked, thanks ?

Why there is indication that post is edit by dianaeva if instead i have posted it ?

#90 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-21, 11:01

View PostLovera, on 2015-August-21, 10:52, said:

Why there is indication that post is edit by dianaeva if instead i have posted it ?

I removed the site that you have linked. It looks like a site phishing for passwords. Strongly suggest to anyone who has typed their real username and password on the site linked earlier by lovera to change their password for BBO and for any other accounts where they are using that password.

We'll post a news announcement soon to warn people to not give away their password on random sites.

Lovera please change your BBO password and stop recommending that site to other people - it's a scam.

#91 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-21, 11:27

[removed] En passant :but BB application is part of BridgeBase online?

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-August-21, 11:29
Reason for edit: removed username

#92 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-21, 11:32

Better send such details by PM, but thanks, got it.

Not sure what you are asking, sorry.

There are no legitimate bbo-rating sites and any site that asks for money is likely a scam, likewise any site that asks for passwords.

#93 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-21, 11:45

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-August-21, 11:32, said:

Better send such details by PM, but thanks, got it.

Not sure what you are asking, sorry.

There are no legitimate bbo-rating sites and any site that asks for money is likely a scam, likewise any site that asks for passwords.

BB application is where such as we can read JDonn lectures on preempt or where we can play at clubs (Main or Relaxed or others). I have i.e. players searching partner (MasonBarger or also barmar) and i think is how this site but anytime seems to have another live or to be apart. Is it so?

#94 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-21, 11:51

View PostLovera, on 2015-August-21, 11:45, said:

BB application is where such as we can read JDonn lectures on preempt or where we can play at clubs (Main or Relaxed or others). I have i.e. players searching partner (MasonBarger or also barmar) and i think is how this site but anytime seems to have another live or to be apart. Is it so?

Ah yes, that's BBO, safe to click or play there.

#95 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-22, 07:28

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-August-21, 07:51, said:

Please do not enter your BBO username and password into websites that don't belong to BBO.

Incidentally please note that Double Dummy Solver by Bridge Captain
(1) is not owned by BBO but
(2) may periodically require you to enter your BBO password. It will do this whenever you try to download hands from Myhands database and it cannot find a current non-expired cookie for that site (I think that the cookie remains valid for 30 days).

In my opinion DDS is safe to use, so perhaps tone down the advice to caveat empty.

Of course, while DDS is not owned by BBO the only reason for the password is that it is accessing a website that is owned by BBO. Not sure that the great unwashed will necessarily appreciate that.

#96 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-22, 10:18

I worded that strongly on purpose because there's a website claiming to calculate player ratings which is a total scam. It's not only a scam as in the ratings suck or perhaps some suckers will pay for ratings. It's a site that has no access to My Hands at all. It's only phishing for passwords and we don't know why or how that data will be used.

I don't know how to advise people in such a situation. How can someone know whether the site is accessing myhands or not? This one doesn't, there's nothing BBO can do to block since it never reaches BBO.

#97 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-August-22, 10:51

Threads like this are the reason I'm spending about 90/10 of my reading time on BW instead of here.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#98 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-22, 11:51

View PostPhil, on 2015-August-22, 10:51, said:

Threads like this are the reason I'm spending about 90/10 of my reading time on BW instead of here.

This is a forum for BBO related issues. Why would it bother you that people discuss BBO things on it? If you prefer bridge topics, they're in a completely separate forum called Bridge-Related Discussions.

I don't care about the legal stuff for instance, but I wouldn't go post in the law forums how I'd much rather post photos on facebook instead.

#99 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-22, 17:01

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-August-22, 07:28, said:

Incidentally please note that Double Dummy Solver by Bridge Captain
(1) is not owned by BBO but
(2) may periodically require you to enter your BBO password. It will do this whenever you try to download hands from Myhands database and it cannot find a current non-expired cookie for that site (I think that the cookie remains valid for 30 days).

In my opinion DDS is safe to use, so perhaps tone down the advice to caveat empty.

Of course, while DDS is not owned by BBO the only reason for the password is that it is accessing a website that is owned by BBO. Not sure that the great unwashed will necessarily appreciate that.

DDS is not a web site, it's an application that runs on your computer. As I understand it, it doesn't ask you for your password, it simply sends you to the BBO myhands web page, and it asks you for your password just like it would if you went there yourself.

#100 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-23, 04:20

View Postbarmar, on 2015-August-22, 17:01, said:

DDS is not a web site, it's an application that runs on your computer. As I understand it, it doesn't ask you for your password, it simply sends you to the BBO myhands web page, and it asks you for your password just like it would if you went there yourself.
Sorry but as I see it you have simply repeated my final paragraph in different words.

The computer illiterate will observe simply that they have entered some keystrokes as a result of which they are then asked to enter a BBO password. In judging whether that would be safe the criteria depends on whether the password request comes from BBO and whether the password entered may be intercepted by an untrusted third party. I doubt that the question of whether the request comes from a website or from an application that possibly pages a website ever enters the user's head.

Theoretically, DDS *could* have been a piece of malware phishing for passwords. We happen to know that it is not only because of its history. Likewise the actual scam site could have been more intelligently written so as to really page myhands, and it would have been no less dangerous if it had.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users