• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

bridge is not a sport

#41 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-October-03, 13:46

View Postbillw55, on 2014-October-03, 12:55, said:

Arguing semantics feels a little silly. Nevertheless, I do very much disagree with this. In American usage at least, the inclusion of at least some level of athleticism or physical action is the defining difference.

All this really means is that we have different personal meanings of the word "sport." Which is not really an important issue.

The point is here has nothing to do with semantics. It is about money, most importantly VAT.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#42 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 06:39

View Postbillw55, on 2014-October-03, 10:14, said:

My opinion is that calling bridge a sport is utterly absurd. Ditto for chess, go, backgammon, settlers of catan, etc. There is a reason the language has another word, "game", to distinguish nonathletic passtimes and competitions from athletic ones.

And no, I don't care what the IOC says about it.

I don't either. I do find it interesting, if "games" and "sports" are different things, that the "sports" event is called "the Olympic Games". :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#43 User is offline   Jeremy69A 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-October-04, 11:01

We often get told the EU is about harmonising rules and regulations yet bridge is a sport in some EU countries and not others including the UK. Where Bridge is not recognised as a sport it tends to be taxed more and it tends not to be accepted for a variety of funding initiatives. By way of example Badminton which has about as many members as the EBU has got something in the region of £8.5m for its preparations for the 2012 Olympics.
We can have arguments about what constitutes a sport and produce the silliest examples we can find of something that is (my vote is for baton twirling) but the list that HMRC depend upon is the one that Sport England use. They don't seem all that keen on explaining how it is justified and how one may appeal against exclusion. It is "with their legal team" at present. The Charity Commission on the other hand have no problem with defining Bridge and Chess as sports so at the very least we have inconsistencies both within the UK and also between the UK and other EU countries.

#44 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 11:31

It's considered sport in my country (Turkey) and run by ministry of sports.
To me it does not matter much whatever it is called. Bridge is my most favourite sport/game. Looking at the debates above in this topic, I find Rik's arguments the most convincing.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#45 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-04, 20:01

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-03, 13:46, said:

The point is here has nothing to do with semantics. It is about money, most importantly VAT.

Not in America. We don't tax recreational activities, whether they're sports or not. I don't know why people keep bringing that up when the question was "Why isn't bridge in the Olympics". Olympic recognition has nothing to do with whether the game is taxed or not.

#46 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-October-04, 20:26

View Postbarmar, on 2014-October-04, 20:01, said:

Not in America. We don't tax recreational activities, whether they're sports or not. I don't know why people keep bringing that up when the question was "Why isn't bridge in the Olympics". Olympic recognition has nothing to do with whether the game is taxed or not.

The OP was about VAT, and the fact that it doesn't apply in your country is not interesting; why mention it?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#47 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-October-04, 20:41

View PostVampyr, on 2014-October-04, 20:26, said:

The OP was about VAT, and the fact that it doesn't apply in your country is not interesting; why mention it?

I didn't go back and read the OP. The thread died out 6 months ago, and someone resurrected it last week with a question about the Olympics.

It probably would have been less confusing if he'd started a new thread for this tangent.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users