BBO Discussion Forums: Passing partner's 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Passing partner's 1NT

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2014-February-22, 02:17

My partner and I play A weak no trump, Stayman and Transfers. What should I reply to partner's 1NT be with

C QTxxx
D Qxxx
H Jx
S xx

Without Stayman and transfers I would respond 2C. I don't think my clubs are long enough for 3C. I half expect LHO to double if I pass. Should I then bid 3C?

#2 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2014-February-22, 03:02

Do you have an agreement how you escape from 1NTX?

If you pass and LHO doubles, that is good news for you, in a way: you can come back in on the second round, and play two of a minor, instead of three.

Most people would play 1NT-p-p-x-p-p-2C/2D as natural, and 1NT-p-p-x-p-p-xx can be used for "pick your better minor" or "bid 4-card suits up the line" or some similar agreement. (More complicated toys are possible, but most everybody does SOMEthing with xx, 2c, and 2d here.)

If the opps happily compete to 2M, 1NT-p-p-2M-p-p-2NT should be for the minors, not natural, since you failed to raise the first time.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-22, 03:52

you have no particular reason to expect the opps to double. they have 21-23 points between them. most people at your level would require 16+ in one hand to double. if they do double, you can retreat to 2c.

if they don't double, you'll most likely go off, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - depending on the scoring and vulnerability, you will often lose less than the value of whatever they can make - given you have only 4 major cards, they will normally be making a contract there.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-February-23, 16:53

If you bid your going to get too high with no expectation of improving the contract over 1N.

if they double hopefully you have a way to show both minors this will improve your chances of improving contract.

but with your hand opp may have 2M so feel lucky if you buy it for 1N as so often happens with a weak NT
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-February-24, 04:32

Start with a pass. If 1NT comes back doubled then either show both minors (if your system allows it) or bid 2. As an aside it is easier if you show the hands with spades first and clubs last - my first thought was a 2 transfer/2 weak takeout.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-03, 03:41

Depending on the strength of your partner, you may want to sit 1NT doubled if it does come back to you. If you bid 2C, he may very well respond with 2NT or 3C or some other monstrosity if he doesn't get what your bid means. Just sit tight and let him try to take 7 tricks in peace. You do have half the deck, give or take 1-2 points.

Also keep in mind that 1NT is the single hardest contract on the face of the earth to defend against.

And if you're not playing Stayman, learn it and play it. It's far better than the ability to make weak, natural takeouts with hands like this.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-03, 04:17

Liversidge, on 2014-February-22, 02:17, said:

My partner and I play A weak no trump, Stayman and Transfers.

HighLow21, on 2014-March-03, 03:41, said:

You do have half the deck, give or take 1-2 points.

And if you're not playing Stayman, learn it and play it. It's far better than the ability to make weak, natural takeouts with hands like this.

The OP makes it perfectly clear that they play a weak NT with Stayman. The most common weak NT is 12-14; adding five to that comes to 17-19. That is somewhat different from 18-22.
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-March-03, 11:05

Missed that; apologies. In that case, it's probably best to take out. Partner is far less likely to change the contract from 2C.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#9 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-March-03, 11:19

HighLow21, on 2014-March-03, 11:05, said:

Missed that; apologies. In that case, it's probably best to take out. Partner is far less likely to change the contract from 2C.

2=Stayman can't takeout until doubled!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-March-04, 04:49

Playing weak NTs, the opponents are likely equally in a fog about where the values in the hand lie. The problem competing in 4th seat is that the passing responder can have up to a pretty good 10 or 11 and pass. That makes it important for 4th seat to have some pretty good values to come into the auction. So I'd expect that quite a bit of the time, the hand will be passed out.

So don't worry about a double until it appears.

You have a clear pass. You've rightly assessed that your hand isn't right to jump to a weak 3 .

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users