BBO Discussion Forums: attitude signals - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

attitude signals are reverse attitude signals better?

#21 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-February-19, 11:41

I find low-encourages more natural, because this is also how we often operate when on lead: low when we want a suit returned, and higher when we don't. To me, it makes sense to stay consistent and use low-encourages for attitude as well.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#22 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 06:14

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-February-15, 13:13, said:

...If you google for Skanian defensive signalling methods, there are some situations where high to encourage is superior. Skanian codified the circumstances, so that depending on those circumstances you played a mix of high or low to encourage accordingly.

I just googled Skanian signals. The only vaguely relevant page I could find in the first 100 links was this one. Do you have an actual link?

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#23 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 07:49

There are brief writeups if you search for Scanian signals (note the spelling). But a quick search did not turn up anything sufficiently detailed to be worthy of specific recommendation.

#24 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-12, 11:51

Yes, sorry for the mis-spelling and any resulting confusion.

I also now have some difficulty finding a detailed article on the subject. You might need to try to get hold of Anders Wirgren's write up in Bridge World, July 1991, which I imagine is not available on the net.

There is a very brief description given here:

http://www.bridgeguy...ve_signals.html

I see that our very own Stephen Tu was a contributor to that article. If he reads this pehaps he can provide some expansion.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#25 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 08:47

Marvin French has a short write-up of a modified version that seems to have a little more detail then the link. Ben also promised us a thread on them "if there was interest", although I an doubtful that the N/B forum is the best place for it. The best summary description I can find is from bridgeHands:
--
Scanian Signals - A blend of Upside Down and Standard discard signals. The theory behind this approach is that standard carding is inferior when the Dummy shows threatening spot cards, and upside down carding is undesirable when the Dummy's intermediate spots may block the suit when partner subsequently attempts to promote the suit. Using Scanian Signals, Upside Down carding applies when:

1. Dummy holds a card which can be finessed
2. The signaling partner has either a long suit or the defender a short suit

In other situations, standard carding is used.
--

Even that is pretty complex for the average beginner but at least it tries to explain why, which is somewhat lacking in most of the online material.
(-: Zel :-)

#26 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 10:11

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-May-13, 08:47, said:

...although I an doubtful that the N/B forum is the best place for it.

Quite! I was just curious. I'm thinking that for most of us, including many beyond N/B standard, our brain cells would be better employed on more mundane defensive thoughts - and that the opportunity for getting our wires crossed great enough that mix ups would probably negate any theoretical advantage.

Nick

#27 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-13, 12:28

I get a little fed up with posters who, no doubt with good intentions, choose to take on board the unappointed mantle of "protector of the novice" and associated moderator functions when it comes to posting in this forum. To be fair, in some cases they are right, but not I believe in this case (and a few other cases historically).

Here we have someone who has chosen to post an excellent, narrowly defined question and who, rightly or wrongly has himself decided that the most appropriate place for it is in the N/B forum, perhaps in reflection of a self-assessment of ability and experience whose accuracy we take on trust. He (I refer to him or her as "he" out of laziness; for "he" read "(s)he") clearly has one or two more brain cells than a Zabriskan Fontema. I speculate he would appreciate a cogent answer. One of the ways that we improve as players is to appreciate not only which technique is superior but why it is superior. If I try to place myself in the position of a novice who has the guts to ask in open forum about the relative benefits of reverse and standard attitude signals, then forgive me but where the answer is "it depends" I think that the OP might appreciate a response that goes that extra mile. He does not have to adopt the method, but an appreciation of its logic would, I think, assist his development.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#28 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 02:53

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-May-13, 12:28, said:

I get a little fed up with posters who, no doubt with good intentions, choose to take on board the unappointed mantle of "protector of the novice" and associated moderator functions when it comes to posting in this forum. To be fair, in some cases they are right, but not I believe in this case (and a few other cases historically).

Here we have someone who has chosen to post an excellent, narrowly defined question and who, rightly or wrongly has himself decided that the most appropriate place for it is in the N/B forum, perhaps in reflection of a self-assessment of ability and experience whose accuracy we take on trust. He (I refer to him or her as "he" out of laziness; for "he" read "(s)he") clearly has one or two more brain cells than a Zabriskan Fontema. I speculate he would appreciate a cogent answer. One of the ways that we improve as players is to appreciate not only which technique is superior but why it is superior. If I try to place myself in the position of a novice who has the guts to ask in open forum about the relative benefits of reverse and standard attitude signals, then forgive me but where the answer is "it depends" I think that the OP might appreciate a response that goes that extra mile. He does not have to adopt the method, but an appreciation of its logic would, I think, assist his development.

Jeez. You must have got out of the wrong side of the bed today. Quite apart from anything else, I didn't particularly choose to put this in the N/B forum. It just happened to be mentioned in the N/B forum. As to your other comments - I can't be bothered to waste my time.

Nick

#29 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-14, 02:53

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-May-13, 12:28, said:

Here we have someone who has chosen to post an excellent, narrowly defined question and who, rightly or wrongly has himself decided that the most appropriate place for it is in the N/B forum,

There is a world of difference between asking whether playing a high card or a low card to encourage is best and asking whether they should play a mixed signalling system of sometimes high and sometimes low. The sidebar about Scanian signals is useful in explaining why one or the other is better in certain circumstances and that is why I posted the bridgeHands quote. But I would personally not recommend intermediates take up the method let alone beginners, so a wider discussion would surely be better placed elsewhere.
(-: Zel :-)

#30 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-August-04, 00:08

View Postbillw55, on 2014-February-19, 11:41, said:

I find low-encourages more natural, because this is also how we often operate when on lead: low when we want a suit returned, and higher when we don't. To me, it makes sense to stay consistent and use low-encourages for attitude as well.

Agreed, like leads, low-spot promises an honour, high-spot top-of-nothing.

Also, Low=Like, High=Hate is easy to remember. :D

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users